5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2014 3:05 PM by DrKeeko

DNG and Nikon D810 Issue

DrKeeko

Recently I purchased a Nikon D810 camera and am working through the issues related to software that can handle the RAW files created by this camera. The most recent challenge has been to use the Adobe DNG Converter to convert the Nikon ".NEF" files to .dng. This simply is not working.

By way of background, the Nikon settings are for taking RAW large files at 12-bit. The version of the Adobe DNG Converter I have is: 8.4.0.199.

Here is a screen shot to show the preferences I have set for the converter.

Converter Preferences.jpg

I have used a USB card reader to move the "NEF" files from the camera to my computer desktop. So no other application has had access to them at the time I try to convert the files.

I direct the DNG Converter to a file folder on my computer desktop and try to save the converted images in the same location. But, when I click the "Convert" button, here is the error message I get.

Error Message.jpg

So, this brings me to the point where I really need to ask for help. I am wondering if someone can explain why I am not able to convert these files. The avenues I have taken are ones that may seem obvious:

a. Version compatibility?

b. Camera settings?

c. Not accessing files directly from camera?

But, so far, I can not find the key to this puzzle. Hope someone out there can help.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: DNG and Nikon D810 Issue
          Bob Somrak Level 5

You need to update your DNG converter as yours does not support the 810.  The latest version is 8.7.1

• 2. Re: DNG and Nikon D810 Issue
            DrKeeko Level 1

Bob,

I went to the Adobe web site and used the download option to get version 8.7.1. Once it was available, I followed the steps to have it added to my applications. However, when I looked in the applications folder, I could only find the older version. I have done a search on my computer and the new version is nowhere to be found. Can you help? Thanks.

• 3. Re: DNG and Nikon D810 Issue
              DrKeeko Level 1

Bob,

One more thing. I checked the Camera Raw Plug-in and it is version 8.7.1. But I am assuming you are referring to a version of the Adobe DNG Converter and that it would have the same version? If so, the problem I cited about not finding this version after downloading from the Adobe web site remains.

• 4. Re: DNG and Nikon D810 Issue
                Bob Somrak Level 5

I would probably just remove the old version and then do a reinstall of the new version.  Are you on Mac or PC?

• 5. Re: DNG and Nikon D810 Issue
                  DrKeeko Level 1

Bob,

I tried this but it didn't work. However, I just went out to CNET and was able to download JUST the DNG Converter and this works perfectly. Once placed in the applications folder, it just replaced the older version. I have no idea why downloading directly from the Adobe web site didn't do this in the first place. I didn't have the application fired up so I didn't think there would be a conflict. And, with CNET, there wasn't.

I am using a Mac.