6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2014 9:29 AM by Rodney1947

Adding scene markers automatically in v.9 of Premiere Elements

Rodney1947 Level 1

In older versions of Premiere Elements, we could automatically add scene markers every so many minutes.  But I can't find how to do that in v.9.  Is it possible?

• 1. Re: Adding scene markers automatically in v.9 of Premiere Elements
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Rodney1947

For Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1, please see Disc Menu/Generate Menu Markers/Automatically Set Menu Scene Markers dialog.

9 Auto.JPG

As always, this will work will Timeline of video clips, but beware what happens if stills get into the mix.

Been that way since as far back as Premiere Elements 2.

Please let us know if that is what you sought.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Adding scene markers automatically in v.9 of Premiere Elements
            Rodney1947 Level 1

I had tried that.  The menu option to "Generate Menu Parkers" was not

active.  Tried it several times.  I just went in and tried it again and

this time

it worked.

I thought perhaps I needed to do something to activate the menu choice.

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Adding scene markers automatically in v.9 of Premiere Elements
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Rodney1947

Thanks for the good news that the Automatically Set Menu Sceen Marker worked for you.

As I recall, in Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1, you have to be in Edit area, not Disc Menus area, to get the active

Disc Menu/Generate Menu Markers. Please check it out and determine if you observe the same.

But, great news is that you are moving forward in your Premiere Elements projects. Great job.

Best wishes

ATR

• 4. Re: Adding scene markers automatically in v.9 of Premiere Elements
                Rodney1947 Level 1

I had tried opening the set markers option from all the areas, including

Edit,

and it wouldn't open.

But I just went in and experimented with it to see what I had accidentally

done to get it to work, and it appears that it won't function if the

vertical

red time indicator is set at "Home". It apparently needs to be inside the

material in the timeline for the marker option to work.  That's

different from

my old v.3, where you could automatically set markers anytime, anywhere.

• 5. Re: Adding scene markers automatically in v.9 of Premiere Elements
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Rodney1947

Thanks for the details for what worked for you.

I would expect the same feature behavior in 9 as in the earlier version. I mentioned already what I observed in my version 9 look at this feature.

Are you getting into the issue where you get a different behavior for that feature depending on whether the

Timeline files are stills or videos? If stills, you should be getting a scene marker at the beginning of just the first. If videos,

you should be getting a scene marker at the beginning of each video. If a mix, then.....interesting.

ATR

• 6. Re: Adding scene markers automatically in v.9 of Premiere Elements
                    Rodney1947 Level 1

I have not had occasion to use automatic scene markers with stills. I do

slideshows

for customers often, so will check on that next time I do one of those. 

At this point,

I'm only making DVDs from old reel-to-reel 8mm movies.  When I tell it

to place

markers every 5 minutes (my usual time), it does that regardless of how

many actual

scenes (movie reel changes) are in there.

But slideshows are usually a fairly short timeline, so I could manually

place markers if

desired.  (as compared to 8mm transfers, which can be 2 hours long or

longer). Most

slideshows are only about 8-10 minutes long anyway.

Thanks again for your help!