18 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2015 6:13 PM by CaliPVP

What's Fixed in Premiere Pro CC2014.2

Mark Mapes Adobe Employee

As noted in the blog post for the 2014.2 release, while this update includes a few new features, it is chiefly geared toward addressing known issues. The blog post lists the higher profile fixes. Below is is a more comprehensive list.

Import

• Red frames in MXF clips from a particular model of camera.
      • Cannot import ARRI Alexa Open Gate clips
      • Import fails for IMX 30 MXF clips stored on certain proprietary media asset management systems. Error: Unsupported format or damaged file.
      • Some XDCAM HD Proxy files show red frames
      • Some .VOB clips play only audio or shows media pending indefinitely
      • Premiere does not recognize timecode for audio-only MXF files written by some third-party programs.
      • Only the first frame of video plays for AVC-Intra50 MXF files stored on certain third-party media asset management systems.
      • Spanned DVCPRO clips have incomplete audio if an XMP file is present but no media cache/pek file are found.
      • Some metadata from an Adobe Clip project does not get correctly logged on import.

Exporting & Rendering

• Rendering fails for MXF media with Posterize Time effect applied
      • ProRes exports can be very slow when smart rendering
      • Encoded output can include black frames, corrupted frames, or frames from elsewhere in the sequence
      • Canceling export to P2 can result in low-level exception if the sequence duration is greater than a few minutes
      • Aspect ratio for IMX 30 widescreen anamorphic encodes is incorrect.
      • Edit to Tape: Audio drops out while playing out to tape
      • The Height setting for encodes to the GoPro Cineform codec is constrained to multiples of 8.
      • Smart Rendering: GoPro 2.7K footage cannot be smart rendered

AAF

• Distorted audio in AAF exports with 24 bit embed option selected.
      • If a multichannel sequence has been nested into 2 channel sequence, then an AAF export yields the number of channels in the nest rather than the 2-channel mix-down
      • Certain third-party programs have problems relinking to video with Premiere's AAF exports. (Windows only)
      • If the first of two adjacent audio clips has a Fade Out applied, exporting as AAF converts it to a Fade In onthe second clip. (Mac only)
      • When AAF exports are opened in some third party apps, audio crossfades are treated as cuts or fade-ins.
      • Crash during AAF export if a video clip has multiple effects applied.
      • When AAF exports are opened in some third party apps, some audio clips and tracks are incorrect.
      • Crash upon exporting to AAF with disabled clips that have cross fades applied
      • If a multicam sequence with mono audio is nested onto a stereo or adaptive track, then exporting to AAF yields a stereo clip with the audio panned fully to the left.
      • When AAF exports are opened in some third party apps, rendered audio of is relinked automatically, but the video needs to be manually linked.

Playback

• If a UHD ProRes clip is in an SD sequence an scaled to less than 50%, then scaling is ignored during playback at Full Resolution [GPU acceleration only]
      • Poor playback performance with certain third-party I/O hardware on OS X 10.9.
      • Crash during playback of R3D content [CUDA GPU acceleration only]

Audio

• Audio sync is lost with some XDCAM content wrapped in QuickTime reference movie
      • Audio sync is lost when user starts scrubbing during playback while using certain I/O hardware.
      • When playing past an audio transition, the sound sometimes surges and has pops/clicks introduced
      • Audio dropouts, and Events panel reports "audio dropouts detected." [Prefetch purge related]
      • Audio dropouts in some scenarios after releasing memory (e.g., cycling focus to another app)[Prefetch-related]
      • Shuttling for an extensive time can cause audio dropouts

Project

• If current user does not have write access to certain folders, the crash error message is uninformative (Mac only)
      • In Adobe Anywhere, crash when using keyboard shortcut to open Convert Project to Production dialog or the New Production dialog.
      • If multiple clients on a network use the same media cache location, then upon importing a given asset each client writes its own accelerator files.
      • The Find features in the Project panel and Timeline cannot search by Korean characters.
      • In Search Bins, moving focus by keyboard from one clip to another can cause the tree view to expand to show the bin where the clip is stored.

Project Manager/Consolidate & Transcode

• If the destination drive has insufficient space, Premiere throws an "unknown error" rather than an informative message.
      • Project Manager writes some clips outside of folders
      • Consolidate and Transcode does not warn the user if the destination drive has insufficient space.
      • Unknown error can result from using Consolidate & Transcode with P2 content in the sequence.
      • In some cases, Consolidate & Transcode copies and renames the component assets for merged clips.
      • If Exclude Unused Clips is deselected, the components for merged clips sometimes still get copied; if the option is selected, the presence of merged clips can yield Unknown Error.
      • If the sequence being transcoded contains overlapping "soft" subclips, then some clips may be missing from the sequence in the consolidated version, and In/Out points may be incorrect for the subclips.
      • If Exclude Unused Clips is turned off and the project being transcoded contains "soft" subclips, then the consolidated version of the project does not have transcoded copies of the subclips.
      • If a sequence contains only audio from an A/V clip, using Consolidate and Transcode to some presets will fail with unknown error
      • If the sequences being transcoded contains two copies of a master clip, one of which was the product of Duplicating or Copying/Pasting in Project panel, the consolidated version of the project has only one instance of the master clip.
      • If the project contains multiple master clips for the same asset and Interpret Footage is applied, then the consolidated version will have multiple transcoded copies of the source asset.
      • If the transcoded sequence contains a hard subclip (i.e., "Restrict Trims to Subclip Boundaries" enabled), the resulting project item is a master clip rather than a subclip.

Merged Clips

• Comment markers added to a merged clip get inserted to the component clips, but the Name & Comment entries are not saved.
      • Hang on right-clicking the current marker in a merged clip in certain circumstances.

Editing/Timeline

• Crash on clicking the very bottom of clip in the Timeline and dragging to move the clip. [SubViewImpl.cpp-724]
      • Crash on Ripple Trim Previous Edit to Playhead for a clip group when that action completely deletes one of the component clips in the group. (TrackItemGroup.cpp-821)
      • Indefinite hang if sequence contains a QuickTime .mov with an unusual framerate and a CEA-708 caption track
      • Crash upon creating a sequence from a source with no frame rate specified (e.g., a title imported from a third-party-generated XML)
      • If a rendered-and-replaced clip has been trimmed, then Restore Unrendered can result in content being out of sync

Multicam

• Audio is lost when flattening multicam sequences that were created with dual stereo movies.
      • If a multicam clip was created with Switch/mono and placed into stereo tracks, then flattening incorrectly maps the audio channels to stereo, with the right channel disabled.
      • Playing a multicam sequence in the Source Monitor can result in an unacceptable ratio of dropped frames.

Effects & Transitions

• With Warp Stabilizer applied, Program Monitor shows only upper left corner of the frame, sometimes with alternating whole frames [GPU acceleration only]
      • Sub-pixel positioning is incorrect for non-linear alpha compositing [GPU acceleration only]
      • GPU transitions that depend on other layers cannot access those layers
      • Crash upon clicking outside the Direct Manipulation control for some effects.
      • Memory leak with certain third-party effects
      • Crash on clicking Setup button for some third-party transitions.
      • Loudness Radar' Track FX Editor intercepts keystrokes intended for editing titles (e.g., spacebar)
      • Crash (Pure Virtual Function Call) on adjusting parameters for some third-party effects.
      • Some third-party effects get frames from the wrong time in the clip.

UI/Workspaces

• All open Project panels get reset to root upon switching between projects that use the same workspace.
      • The order of open Timelines sometimes gets jumbled upon closing and reopening the project.
      • Bezier handles for keyframe can be nearly invisible at default brightness.
      • Closing the Source Monitor when it's showing a scope (e.g., YC Waveform) crashes Premiere (error: CheckBoxControl.cpp-105)
      • HTML5 panels do not receive Tab events.
      • Redraw errors on maximizing an HTML5 panel.

Performance (Note: Most of these fixes are also listed under a product area)

• In certain scenarios, performance is unacceptable when doing basic editing operations with waveforms displayed in the Timeline.
      • Scrubbing a growing file on an Xsan can result in very high bandwidth usage with some network configurations.
      • Playing a multicam sequence in the Source Monitor can result in an unacceptable ratio of dropped frames.
      • ProRes exports can be very slow when smart rendering.
      • Poor playback performance with certain third-party I/O hardware on OS X 10.9.
        • 1. Re: What's Fixed in Premiere Pro CC2014.2
          Creative Clod Level 3

This lengthy list of bug fixes is both good news and a disappointment.

I have been using Premiere professionally for more than 15 years.

Traditionally I have not upgraded to newer version(s) on initial release,

instead choosing to wait until a few bug fix releases have passed and

the program version stability has been validated... albeit feature-frozen.

I am concerned that the CC model has appeared to not be structured to

allow for any reliable, bug-fixed, yet feature-frozen releases in the future.

I have waited around, continuing with CS6 and watched for what might

be a stable, bug-free version that will allow me access to the advancing

feature set without jumping into an unknown set of new problems.

The previous CS model of new releases being rich with added features

that were not further developed within that particular version seemed

to allow the CS version team to spend the interim time prior to the

subsequent release ironing out the unavoidable problems that are

inevitable when including brand-new features in a new release.

Will the CC model of Premiere ever reach a "feature plateau" that will

allow for the tweaking / fixing of bugs or quirks over a fairly extended

period for that specific CC version without the introduction of new,

potentially bug-inducing features?

I find it impossible to jump onto a moving train when I am unsure of my foothold.

• 2. Re: What's Fixed in Premiere Pro CC2014.2
            DMH79 Level 2

Thanks Mark. The bug fixes are sadly always my favorite post.

Bugs>Features...let the movement begin.

J

• 3. Re: What's Fixed in Premiere Pro CC2014.2
              elcuad Level 1

I had to go back to 8.1 since I kept getting ntdll errors with 8.2. Sigh.

• 4. Re: What's Fixed in Premiere Pro CC2014.2
                Peferling Level 4

I feel your pain, Clod.  Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and move forward, if even a bit.  I still use CS6 on a slower machine for legacy and DVD projects with Encore.  It's still a useful version and I see no need to uninstall it just yet.

I'm fine with 8.1 and I had to completely reconfigure a Dell T7610, both hardware (changed my raid configuration, added a second raid for system, and solved a conflict with an SB card and USB), including a fresh win7 install to get it working, and it flies with zero issues.  MXF, Pro Res, Lumetri, Warp Stabilizer and Dynamic Linking all work great.

• 5. Re: What's Fixed in Premiere Pro CC2014.2
                  Peferling Level 4

Just installed 8.2 on laptop without cuda (intel graphics - using mercury in software).

I opened up a previous project with linked AE and AU assets, several sequences, and stabilized content.  A couple of things I've discovered:

1) I didn't have to rename the project upon opening, saving the project in v8.2 opens back up in v8.1  (I also created a new 8.2 project and it opens in 8.1 as well) It's safe to assume that 8.2 projects will be backwards compatible?  Nice.

2) The application correctly interprets the host machine and automatically sets the hardware/software for mercury (and gave me a notice of the switch if going to software).  Nice.

3) AE dynamic linking works and AE also switched to software only mode as needed.

4) AUDITION LINKING DID NOT WORK, (features were greyed out).  THE FIX was to create a file type associations in Windows for AU and PPro and restart PPro and Audition.

I'm confident that 8.2 will work on my other units, and since my next job is not till Monday... time to press "update all" and will report back to here upon completion.

• 6. Re: What's Fixed in Premiere Pro CC2014.2
                    5neaky C Level 1

This hopefully will fix the RED FRAMES with .MXF.

Fingers Crossed... please please please...

• 7. Re: What's Fixed in Premiere Pro CC2014.2
                      Peferling Level 4

8.2 installed on second machine, with Cuda and zero issues.  However, I testing 8.2 projects and opening up CC originated projects are not backwards compatible.  If you have to go from 8.2 back to 8.1  Then they'll work.

I remember in the video toaster days when everyone would post their specs on machines that worked for others to digest.  Guess we need to do the same on this forum?

My specs:

Workstation:

Win 7 SP1

Dell t7610

Dual Xeon E5-2637, 16 Cores

Dual K2000 Nvidia Quadro driver v. 9.18.13.3182

16GB Ram

Storage:

LSI MR9271-8i SAS Controller (PCI): 2TB 4-disk array, RAID 10 configure for Video.

LSI SAS 2308 Mustang -StorPort (onboard Mobo chipset): .5TB 2-disk array for System

.5TB Media drive on mobo SATA port for media

1TB USB 3.0 Offline Storage Drive (disconnected during edit sessions).

Laptop:

Dell Latitude E7440, 16GB Ram, .5TB SSD single drive.   I do cut's only editing on this with media via external USB 3.0 SSD drive.  However, no conflicts or issues and runs decent (surprising for usb 3.0 as I used eSATA via pcmcia cards before).

Hope this helps.

• 8. Re: What's Fixed in Premiere Pro CC2014.2
                        elcuad Level 1

Just in case anyone is interested:

anyone else having PP crash after the 8.2 update? I keep getting the below error:

Faulting application name: Adobe Premiere Pro.exe, version: 8.2.0.65, time stamp: 0x5486db4a

Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18247, time stamp: 0x521eaf24

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0000000000052f86

Faulting process id: 0x2168

Faulting application start time: 0x01d019e6c12de352

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2014\Adobe Premiere Pro.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll

Report Id: 8f518e38-85de-11e4-81e4-1cc1de338660

I trashed my preferences; rolled back to earlier versions of NVIDIA drivers; cleared out my cache; reinstalled PP 8.2, and uninstalled all 3rd party plugins... I still get the above error. I've since rolled back to 8.1 with no issues. I'd love to get 8.2 to work, since scrubbing thru Gh4 4k files was a lot smoother with this update.

Specs:

HP Z800 MC 8.2, Adobe CC 2014, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1, 2 Hex Core X5650 @ 2.67GHz, 48Gigs Ram, NVidia Quadro K4000, Sandisk Extreme 240 gig SSD System drive, SATA 4 Tb (Raid 0) media drive, Sata 2 TB export drive , SSD 120GN for cache, 1 G-Tech 2tb Raid export/backup,1 4tb G-drive backup, Matrox MXO2 mini, 850 WATT PSU

in Premiere Pro Reply

• 9. Re: What's Fixed in Premiere Pro CC2014.2
                          CaliPVP Level 1

This update fixed the dynamic link issue I was seeing between Ae and Pr.  I was very hopeful that the update would have fixed the round tripping between Auditions and Premiere.  I was given a suggestion by another user how I could send the audio to Au and bring it back to Pr by sending the Sequence and not just a audio segment from the timeline.  Sending the Sequence is a better workflow for the finished project.  The problem is, not every project needs to be edited in Au and when I have a small clip that needs to be corrected it would be nice to have the option to fix it in Au and return to Pr.

• 10. Re: What's Fixed in Premiere Pro CC2014.2
                            Videowilk Level 1

I just performed yet another rollback... 8.2 back to 8.0. Last time it was 8.1 back to 8.0 This is a HUGE time-sucking disappointment! Despite the promise, third party plugins and filers do not work in 8.2. More Importantly, NONE of my AVCHD footage -audio and video, show up in 8.2 - unsupported compression error on all MTS files, yet they play in Bridge, but cannot import from their either. Why can't Adobe provide a page on website that truthfully (as opposed to blaming) shows how to reinstall/replace expensive third party filters and plugins. Why can't they help users with issues like 'unsupported compression' --- IS THERE ANYONE AT ADOBE WHO CAN HELP ME???

• 11. Re: What's Fixed in Premiere Pro CC2014.2
                              Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi Elcuad,

Contact support here to troubleshoot that issue: Contact Customer Care

Thanks,
                              Kevin

• 12. Re: What's Fixed in Premiere Pro CC2014.2

Hi CaliPVP,

Create a feature request here: http://adobe.ly/feature_request

Thanks,
                                Kevin

• 13. Re: What's Fixed in Premiere Pro CC2014.2

Hi Videowilk,

Videowilk wrote:

I just performed yet another rollback... 8.2 back to 8.0. Last time it was 8.1 back to 8.0 This is a HUGE time-sucking disappointment! Despite the promise, third party plugins and filers do not work in 8.2.

This has more to do with the plug-ins manufacturers. Have you ensured that the plug-ins were certified for use in Premiere Pro CC 2014.2 (8.2) by those entities?

Videowilk wrote:

More Importantly, NONE of my AVCHD footage -audio and video, show up in 8.2 - unsupported compression error on all MTS files, yet they play in Bridge, but cannot import from their either.

How was the footage originally ingested? Was the full card copied to your hard drive before ingesting it via the Media Browser in that previous version? That is the sure way to deal with this kind of footage, regardless of how it operates in other Adobe applications.

If you have the full contents of the original SD Card, you can try ingesting the footage into a new project. Please try that. If you only have raw .MTS files, I would not guarantee that they will work as expected. They need the full contents from the original SD card to function properly in any project.

Videowilk wrote:

Why can't Adobe provide a page on website that truthfully (as opposed to blaming) shows how to reinstall/replace expensive third party filters and plugins.

I do understand your frustration, and this should be easier for you. Unfortunately, a lot of this responsibility is placed on the user, and always has been the case.

We do have a page which lists supported plug-ins, however, Installation guidelines are usually on the websites for plug-ins manufacturers as the process can vary. My feeling is that it is up to the user to find out whether or not a plug-in is supported with a particular version of Premiere Pro. Any time you need to update Premiere Pro, it is good practice to head to the plug-ins manufacturer's website first to ensure compatibility. If certain plug-ins important to your workflow are not yet supported, you may want to wait on updating Premiere Pro.

Videowilk wrote:

Why can't they help users with issues like 'unsupported compression' --- IS THERE ANYONE AT ADOBE WHO CAN HELP ME???

A reason this warning occurs is because a royalty based codec needs validation. You can try signing out of Creative Cloud, restarting Premiere Pro, and then signing back in to Creative Cloud. However, I have a feeling this warning pertains to footage that may not have been ingested improperly. Reingest the footage with the full SD card intact.

Feel free to create your own post should you need further explanation.

Thanks,
                                  Kevin

• 14. Re: What's Fixed in Premiere Pro CC2014.2
                                    Videowilk Level 1

Hi - I've been busy doing a Windows restore to the last time the footage worked within Premiere, last night. It works now, thank god. It was indeed ingested correctly, as guided by the adobe website.

What I did this morning:

Since I have CS 6, CC and now 2014 versions of everything running on this machine (a CS6 fully certified HP 820 with dual Nvidia Quadro 4000s and 64GB RAM, I thought I would uninstall things I don't need. I followed guidelines from Adobe - using Control Panel to uninstall CS6 (except for Premiere, where I used Cloud to uninstall just Premiere and keep encore) and CC, I had used Cloud app to update all 2014 to the latest versions last night.

So at some point today, the ability to recognize and import AVCHD "went away"? Could that happen by removing older versions??? Again, I copy the entire card to my RAID array and import through the media browser - the correct way. AND please note that once I rolled back to 2014.0, the footage STILL wasn't there; it wasn't until I did the system restore that it came back. But I fear now the return of my original issue: the backend dll error when working in a two-camera sequence synced up using Plural Eyes and imported into Premiere.

Also, I use third party plug-ins that are indeed on the Adobe list of partners - so it is indeed frustrating that they seem to not be there or work when you update Premiere versions.

I'd appreciate any guidance on my many issues, now back to editing!!!

Diane

• 15. Re: What's Fixed in Premiere Pro CC2014.2
                                      alex_ojeda Level 1

I am having this issue now, never heard of this problem until now. And its happening inside projects that had been ok since a few months back when I finish them. I just went in to export again some of the sequences and now the red frames are all over like a plague. Its Canon footage from an XF300. Ive deleted media cache files, digital rebellion house clean, and now that I want to restart premiere it keeps on crashing while loading the media files, I relaunch again and it loads some more files a bit further until if finally stops crashing after 3 -4 times. I tried then the solution somebody stated, offline clips, delete media cache, save project, close project, link again, and the red frames were gone from the timeline, but they did show up in the exported movie!! I need to deliver this to client this Monday!! Is there any fix to this? I been using this project for a few months exporting movies with no problem until now, but I haven't changed anything in the project. What caused it? What should I do to fix this asap. Please help!

• 16. Re: What's Fixed in Premiere Pro CC2014.2
                                        CaliPVP Level 1

It's almost looking like Adobe and Canon are not going to play alone with each other.  Well at least with the XF family.  If you only need to export the project you can drag and drop your PPr project.prproj in to Adobe Media Encoder.  Good luck!

• 17. Re: What's Fixed in Premiere Pro CC2014.2
                                          lukaszbanach Level 1

Hi, I am new to this forum. I've bought a year plan with premiere cc2014. And I am shocked how often this most recent update (2014.2) is crashing.

I am not alone with the issue: Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2014.2 Unusuable - Crash

It is indeed unusable. In previous 2014.1 i smoothly work with 4k cineform material, editing in realtime, including realtime grading with direct link to speedgrade. But 2014.2 crashes after minutes of work.

I assume these frequent crashes have something to do with cuda support. The whole timeline is sloppy and workspace seems to stutter. And then it crashes. When program monitor is off, it doesn't crash. I've tried many nvidia settings, drivers. I tried to nest the sequences, it all doesn't help. But, actually - is there any new feature in 2014.2 that is worth the frustration for?

I've downgraded to cc2014.1 and it seems to work perfectly.

What is the point of paying the cash for most recent software?

• 18. Re: What's Fixed in Premiere Pro CC2014.2
                                            CaliPVP Level 1

I have an NVIDIA and a RADEON card in my Mac Pro, and before 2014.1 I could use dynamic link between Ae, Pr, Sg and even Au with no problems.  Now I'm lucky if Sg will even open.  I have to remove one of my video cards just to get Sg to run.  Oh, how I miss the good oh days when C6 and CC  just worked.