10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2014 10:43 AM by A.T. Romano

How do I get compressed/decompresser (codec)

Droop95

When I try and import a movie that I have downloaded on my Mac computer I get the following statement.  The selected file cannot be play because you system does not have the required compressed/decompresser (codes).  How do I correct this problem.

• 1. Re: How do I get compressed/decompresser (codec)
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Exactly what is INSIDE the video you are editing?

Codec & Format information, with 2 links inside for you to read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1270588

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1070933 for screen shot instructions

Free programs to get file information for PC/Mac http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

• 2. Re: How do I get compressed/decompresser (codec)
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Droop95

What version of Premiere Elements are you using on your Mac computer?

What is the brand/model/settings for the camera that recorded your video that you want to use a in Premiere Elements Mac project?

That should give us the properties of your import which are essential to know for the type of question that you post.

ATR

• 3. Re: How do I get compressed/decompresser (codec)
              Droop95 Level 1

I have the Adobe Photoshop Element & Premier 13.  I have a Sony HDR - CX150 camera.

• 4. Re: How do I get compressed/decompresser (codec)
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Droop95

Thanks for the additional information. From the specifications for the Sony, the camera could be recording using AVCHD video compression or MPEG2 video compression. Which setting are you using and what is the file extension that you see for the file from the camera? Is it mp4 or .mpg?

Do you have iMovie on your Mac computer? If so, for troubleshooting purposes only, can you import the videos from the Sony HDR CX150 into it without problems using USB connection/USB Connect/File Menu/Import From Camcorder?

Please determine if you can gather the above information and post it. It would be very helpful in developing a customized troubleshooting strategy to

find the cause of your Premiere Elements 13 Mac import issue.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: How do I get compressed/decompresser (codec)
                  Droop95 Level 1

I am recording HD FH.  I don’t know how to get the file extension.  I assume it is mpg. Yes, I have IMovie 09 and it work fine and no problems using a USB cable.  I cannot post to Facebook unless I upgrade and I read that they are some problems with the upgrade.  I am about ready to give up on this program.

• 6. Re: How do I get compressed/decompresser (codec)
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Droop95

I am strictly an Elements Windows user so you will need to help me on some of the specific to a Mac computer.

We need to know the file extension of your video. Please try to find out what it is. Not sure if the following

will help get that information

http://www.fileinfo.com/help/mac_show_extensions

Here is my dilemma.

1. The Sony FH settings suggests to me that your camera is recording using AVCHD (MPEG4 AVC/H.264) video

compression. There can be problems for Mac if the file extension used is not mp4 or .mov. I need to rule

out that the file extension is not .mts or .m2ts. When you find the file extension and it turns out to be .mts or .m2ts,

then I want you to rename the file (just the file extension) so that the .mts or .m2ts is changed to .mp4 and .mov.

2. But, here is the other side of this and why I asked about iMovie. If iMovie is supporting your file, then I would be

led to believe that you have a AVCHD.mp4 file which should be compatible with Premiere Elements 13 Mac. Even

iMovie has problems with video that are not .mp4 and .mov.

3. Have you confirmed somewhere that you have QuickTime (latest version) on your computer with Premiere Elements 13

and that you are running QuickTime and Premiere Elements 13 from a User Account with Administrative Privileges?

Please do not give up. I will be watching for further developments.

Thank you.

ATR

• 7. Re: How do I get compressed/decompresser (codec)
                      Droop95 Level 1

I started the program up this morning and it played the videos and then after I played 4 or 5 videos it started showing the error  comment on compressed/decompresser (codec). I restarted the computer again and it played some and then froze up.   I played movie extension that had avi, mov and it played the mts extension. I don’t know why I have different extension.   It didn’t stall on any particular movie.  Do I have a memory problem?  I tried to change the mts extension but it installed the mts after the .mp4. My Quicktime is 10.3 Version.  Thanks for your help.

• 8. Re: How do I get compressed/decompresser (codec)
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Droop95

Thanks for the reply.

On your computer before the file ever see Premiere Elements, please determine the file extension. Whatever that file extension is will be the file extension that will be seen for the imported file by Premiere Elements. From what you wrote, your camera is probably recording AVCHD and offering it as .mts.

If that is the case,

a. convert the .mts file to .mp4 with one of those video converters and then import that .mp4 file into Premiere Elements with its Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets. We might consider the free HandBrake for the conversion. https://handbrake.fr/

or

b. determine if the non re-encoding way will work for you, that is, rename just the file extension of the file on the computer save location from .mts to .mp4.

From what i have read, Mac does not fare well with non .mp4 and .mov formats.

When you renamed the file extension, if you had a file named My Video.mts, did the renamed appear specifically as My Video.mp4 or did you end up

with something like My Video.mts.mp4 or My Video.mp4.mts?

Please let me know if I am interpreting your report correctly.

Thank you.

ATR

• 9. Re: How do I get compressed/decompresser (codec)
                          Droop95 Level 1

It is playing all of the movies but when you review several in a row then it stalls with that error message.  After it stalls with the message and I wait until I can open another movie.  It want play one of the movies I just open unless I restart my computer.  It will play the three file extension that you mention at startup but after you play 5 or 6 movies then I get the error message. It will play movies up to a certain point.  Then you have to restart your computer.

• 10. Re: How do I get compressed/decompresser (codec)
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Droop95

Thanks for the reply.

Please confirm - when you say that you have all of the movies on the Timeline and you are playing them back in the Edit area monitor, is there

an orange line over the content of all of them? If so, please press the Render button above the Timeline. If there was an orange line before, then after the

Timeline rendering, the line should turn green. When the rendering of the Timeline process is complete, try the playback again. Better, same, worse?

Please confirm - when you say that you have all of the movies on the Timeline, are all these movies of the same format - all .mts, .m2ts, .mp4

or other - basically all the same in all regards except for maybe duration?

Please confirm - when the playback stops, is it stopping on the same type of file consistently or does it not matter what file - just wherever the Timeline Indicator is after a few seconds of playback?

ATR