2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2014 10:22 AM by Dave LaRonde

i need help with color correction (im not sure if what i want its called color correction but i bring examples)

santiagolp88

ok thanks for reading me, im an amateur guy who wants to edit his videos in order to have that look like tv show or cinematic, i dont want just the 2 seconds curves tutorial to improve videos, y want something more like these videos

https://vimeo.com/48655453

Buildings & Vampires on Vimeo    (second 30)

A-Trak & Tommy Trash’s Tuna Melt | The Kid Should See This  (1:32) (and also all the video but more like what i want in 1:32)

i dont know how to say it but theres a way to make blur and lights way better and i see it in a lot of videos, i can just think of this examples for now but maybe you get it, sorry for my english, hope you can help me

• 1. Re: i need help with color correction (im not sure if what i want its called color correction but i bring examples)
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Color Grading is the term you want. However, a lot of people do use the terms color correction and color grading interchangeably.

Technically, color correction is getting elements or shots to match each other and color grading is creating the overall look of the piece or scene.

A lot of this has to do with the cameras that are capturing the scene in addition to color grading in post. You need a camera with a wide dynamic range to get that kind of look or a lot of control over the lighting of the scene.

Or, ideally, both.

If you shot something with a camcorder or a smartphone, it's not going to look like this unless you put a lot of work into the lighting beforehand. And the shallow depth of field only happens with certain lenses.

• 2. Re: i need help with color correction (im not sure if what i want its called color correction but i bring examples)
            Dave LaRonde Level 6

I would like to direct you to THIS video:

Behind the Scenes: A-Trak & Tommy Trash - Tuna Melt on Vimeo

Look at how many people are involved in the shoot.  Look at all the professionals from various disciplines.  Look at all the rehearsal.  Look at all the painstaking attention to detail.  Look at all the professional equipment they used.

Yes, I looked at the shot at 1:32 in the video they made.  They used a Steadicam to stabilize the camera going up the stairs.  They used gels on the window to reduce the light intensity and help correct the color temperature.  The interior spaces of the upstairs and downstairs have also been lit to avoid irising problems.  They didn't rely on mere chance.

Did you also notice the subtle cuts at 00:38 and 1:54?   That video was not shot in one take, and that's a fact.  And before they even got to the step of color grading, they KNEW they had good video to work with because they had the professional experience to attain it.