3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2014 10:38 AM by Dave LaRonde

When launching after effects from premiere the performance in after effects is really poor (esp. playback/scrubbing)

lyrgh Level 1

Hi,

try this:

1. make sure after effects is not yet running.

2. from an open premiere project that has a sequence with some clips in it:

select a clip, right click and choos replace with after effects composition

-> after effects will launch, will ask you where to save the ae project for the dynamically linked comp and create that comp / import the source files referenced from the premiere timeline. (usual dynamic link business).

3. in the after effects timeline grab the playhead and scrub with the mouse.

-> playback is really choppy for me and overall further testing reveals after effets seems to be running slow, having memory issues, etc..  Something funny is going on here.

next, try this:

1. make sure after effects is not yet running.

2. open a premiere project with at has a sequence with some clips in it.

3. launch after effects (just fire it up, don't do anything with it once its launched)

4. switch back to premire:

select a clip, right click and choos replace with after effects composition

-> after effects will become the focus, will ask you where to save the ae project for the dynamically linked comp and create that comp / import the source files referenced from the premiere timeline. (usual dynamic link business).

5. in the after effects timeline grab the playhead and scrub with the mouse.

-> playback is really smooth and performance in ae is great / as expected.

So.. am I the only one having this? Did a quick google/forum search but couldn't find something, maybe I was just searching for the wrong words..

Anyway the workaround with starting the main ae app before using dynamic link seems pretty easy, this issue if that's something reproducible on different machines might be worth looking into as that feels like some funny process management whatsoever.

Please note, I haven't tested this further, the project I noticed this just now has 97 dynamically linked ae comps, each comp coming from their very own ae project with nothing but that comp in it. (I'm doing this as a work around for the warp stabilizer blowing up project file sizes, that way I'm not running into any slowdowns due to file size usually), this might however be related to the issues above.. no idea, just mentioning.

Also I had issues with after effects not closing down all its background processes, especially with mercury transmit having ae output full screen preview to a second screen and having preferences set to disable preview while not being the focused app (after shutting ae down an AfterFX.exe process remains active and the second monitor is showing full screen black up until I manually close that remaining background ae process).

As AE seems to be spawning background processes too for warp stabilizer, tracking masks and other stuff, I could imagine an issue with correctly shutting down ae processes might play a role here, not sure though.

Actually it's not a second but a fourth monitor, I'm running 4 screens off a nvidia gtx 780Ti, i7, 24GB ram, win7, in case that's of interest.

Cheers

• 1. Re: When launching after effects from premiere the performance in after effects is really poor (esp. playback/scrubbing)
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

Sounds like you're more familiar with Premiere than AE.   You need to understand that AE doesn't work anything like Premiere, nor does it behave anything like Premiere.... e.g. scrubbing in AE is the stuff of fairy tales.  AE has to render EVERYTHING.

So even if you open AE in Premiere, you're still running AE, and it will still work the way it's designed to work.  It's a fact of life in AE.

You might benefit from a quick tour through this:

Getting started with After Effects (CS4, CS5, CS5.5,  CS6, & CC)

Lrearning the concepts of how AE really works ought to be an eye-opener for you.

• 2. Re: When launching after effects from premiere the performance in after effects is really poor (esp. playback/scrubbing)
            lyrgh Level 1

Hey Dave,

thanks for looking into this. Sorry if my post wasn't clear enough or the Ae scrubbing part too easy to read over.

Anyway, if I do the second set of steps (launching Ae manually before any ADL action, thus preventing Pr to launch Ae for me), I do can scrub in AE without any problems. (This is with just a comp with the source video file, not talking about super complex comps here).

This live scrubbing in Ae works for me for quite a bunch of versions down actually. Really important even for simple roto work. And kinda sad it only seems to work with mouse scrubbing.

It's not only the scrubbing though, Ae acts funny overall (panels getting slow etc).

Looks to me like an issue with memory management and or graphics card interaction with the different Ae processes + background process going on. That's why I added the 4 monitor + mercury transmit full screen playback with Ae + Pr and or the project with many dynamically linked Ae comps notes. I could very well be just wrong here of course, bugs are bugs I guess.

If you've got the time, would you mind testing it on your machine with the steps I provided?

Would be interesting to see if that is reproducible in different environments.

Thanks

• 3. Re: When launching after effects from premiere the performance in after effects is really poor (esp. playback/scrubbing)
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

Sorry, I can't run a test: I work in AE/Avid.  Before that, AE/FCP.  I'm pretty clueless in Premiere.

I'd have to say you've been lucky so far scrubbing in AE.  Most people have to RAM Preview, then scrub.  Many people also prerender stablized footage to cut the processing load -- there's typically too much going on in a comp to deal with stabilization on top of everything else.  Prerendering also cuts rendering and previewing time.

It sounds like there could be problems between AE-OS versions.  Knowing the precise version number of both will be a big clue.  Off the top of my head, I'd mention that AE CC 2014 requires Win7 Service Pack 1 to perform properly.