4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2014 7:37 AM by ECBowen

Computer question

Benjamino94

Hi,

I am now about to buy a new computer. So far, I have found two computers which is set into my budget, I'm ready to buy but I really can't choose between those two and I wonder if you could give me some advice.

So, I have posted exactly same thread on After Effects forum and Adobe Premiere Pro forum so I wrote this thread to compatible for both forum. I am going to use this computer for Full HD, 1280p video editing and I will be using After Effects, a lot. These two computers that I have picked have only i5 processor and I know that it should be i7 for better performance but within my budget I need to go for the lower processor. I have only 8GB RAM at the moment but I will be upgrading that, also I will be using an external storage so the 1000GB storage is enough for now.

I have picked up Asus M51AD i5-4440 and Lenovo Erazer X310 the specs are listed below. I really don't know which one to pick, the price difference is around 80€. Asus is more expensive than Lenovo. Please give me your honest opinion.. Thank you

Asus M51AD i5-4440

• 4. Generation Intel® Core (TM) i5-4440 Processor (6M Cache, 3.1 GHz)
      • 8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz -RAM (2 x 4 GB, no free places) - so if I upgraded MAX would be 16GB
      • 1 TB 7200RPM SATA3 SSD + 128 GB hard drives
      • NVIDIA GTX760 192-bit 3 GB (1 x HDMI, 1 x DP, 2 x DVI) graphics card, a four-monitor support
      • Asus SonicMaster,  8 Channel High Definition Audio
      • DVD Super Multi drive
      • Networking features: Gigabit Ethernet, Bluetooth 4.0, WiFi 802.11 b / g / n / AC
      • Connectivity: USB ports: 5 pcs USB 2.0, 2 x USB 3.0, headphone and microphone
      • Change: 16-in-1 memory card reader
      • Windows 8.1 64-bit

Lenovo Erazer X310

• Intel Core i5-4460 processor
      • Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 2 GB
      • 8 GB of RAM (32GB MAX)
      • 1 TB HDD + 8 GB cache
      • HDMI and VGA (D-Sub) outputs to an external display.
      • - 2 x USB 3.0 and 2 x USB 2.0 ulkoisilel devices.
      • - ESATA port for external storage devices.
      • - DVD-RW Optical Drive
      • - Gigabit Ethernet LAN port.
      • - 7-in-1 memory card reader
      • - Sound card with optical and coaxial audio outputs.
      • - Operating system Windows 8.1 64-bit
        • 1. Re: Computer question
          Dave LaRonde Level 7

Personally, if I could only choose between those two machines, I'd pick the Lenovo for it's better connectivity.  I'd also sink the 80-Euro difference into a hardware enhancement.  Being an AE guy, I'd go for more RAM right away.

You might be able to buy that machine with a bare minimum of memory, then get a whole lot more RAM -- 16 gigs is good to start --  from a third-party vendor, of equal or better quality and a lot less money.  That's what I did when I got my HP Workstation a couple of years ago.

• 2. Re: Computer question
            Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The ability to get more RAM would sway me towards the Lenovo. And the processor is just a touch faster too.

• 3. Re: Computer question
              JEShort01 Level 4

You asked for an honest opinion, so I would suggest that keep searching and get a quad core cpu with hyperthreading. Both the i5 cpus you mention above have only 50% of the cpu power of an i7 quad core with hyperthreading.

Most user, most applications simply cannot use a lot of cpu "cores" (physical + hyperthreads). Adobe however has written software that can use, or should I say require , lots of cores.

Street price of a cpu model would only be about 50 pounds more ($100 USD) for what I am suggesting.

Regarding RAM, I'd suggest getting at least 16GB with the expansion capability to go to 32GB. AE loves RAM!

Good luck with the search!

Jim

• 4. Re: Computer question
                ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Definitely get a laptop that supports 32GB of ram. 16GB is really bare minimum  at this point for AE CC 2014 for decent performance. Also JEShort is correct about the quad mobile with HT. You want those if all possible.

Eric

ADK