3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2014 2:05 PM by A.T. Romano

Editing iMovie files with Adobe Premiere Elements for Windows

CluelessMom

Hi,

My 12 year old asked for Final Cut Pro for Christmas to edit movies he takes on his iPod touch and iPad. However, he has a Windows-based desktop. As I understand it, Final Cut Pro is not a Windows-based program. I thought we could get him Adobe Premiere Elements for Windows, but will he be able to manipulate his iMovie files easily? I have no idea what format the iMovie files are. Will he be able to download them to his Windows desktop, edit his movie, and then upload back to his Apple devices? Thanks!

• 1. Re: Editing iMovie files with Adobe Premiere Elements for Windows
          A.T. Romano Level 7

clue

Bottom line: Making distinction between video editor project files and formats of exports.

Details...

The iPod touch and iPad typically offer video files H.264.mov or H.264.mp4 formats. This is not a Mac versus Windows matter because we are talking exports (.mov and .mp4) not project files from a video editing project.

He should be able to take his iPod or iPad device videos and edit them in Premiere Elements. And, then he should be able to return them to his device(s).

But, many of these devices record video with a variable frame rate (depending on the lighting conditions to a great extent). Premiere Elements (any version) can have problems with such video to the extend (a) out of sync audio (b) cannot import file at all. I have a iPod Touch 4th Generation and have no Premiere Elements importing/editing/exporting problems with my 1280 x 720 @ 30 progressive frames per second (H.264.mov) video from that iPod.

Below is an excerpt of Premiere Elements 13 exports that might be of interest...

Android Phones and Tablets (NEW)

There are 7 presets in this new Android Phones and Tablets category. Each has Advanced Button and Share Work Area Bar Only opportunities. The names of the 7 Android Phones and Tablets presets are

MP4 - 1080p 25

MP4 - 1080p 29.97

Android Tablet - 1280 x 800 25

Android Tablet - 1280 x 800 29.97

MP4 - 720p 23.976

MP4 - 720p 25

MP4 - 720p 29.97

Apple iPod, iPad, iPhone

In going from 12 to 13, there are now 8 presets instead of 16 for the Apple iPod, iPad, iPhone  category. Each preset has Advanced Button and Share Work Area Only opportunities. The names of the 5 presets are

Apple TV, iPad, iPhone4 - 720p25

Apple TV, iPad, iPhone4 - 720p29.97

Apple TV, iPad, iPhone4 - 1080p25

Apple TV, iPad, iPhone4 - 1080p29.97

Apple iPad 2,3,4, Mini; iPhone 4S, 5, 5S; Apple TV 3 - 1080p 23.976 NEW

Apple iPad 2,3,4, Mini; iPhone 4S, 5, 5S; Apple TV 3 - 1080p 25 NEW

Apple iPad 2,3,4, Mini; iPhone 4S, 5, 5S; Apple TV 3 - 1080p 29.97 NEW

Removed preset names are

Apple iPhone, Apple iPod Widescreen Low Quality

Apple iPhone, Apple iPod Widescreen Medium Quality

Apple iPhone, Apple iPod Widescreen High Quality

Apple iPhone, Apple iPod Standard Low Quality

Apple iPhone, Apple iPod Standard Medium Quality

Apple iPhone, Apple iPod Standard High Quality

Apple iPad Widescreen Low Quality

Apple iPad Widescreen Medium Quality

Apple iPad Widescreen High Quality

Apple iPad Standard Low Quality

Apple iPad Standard Medium Quality

Apple iPad Standard High Quality

The ideal way would be to look at the tryout of Premiere Elements 13 before purchase. If not possible, then, if purchased from Adobe direct, there

should be an opportunity for money back within 30 days of purchased. If purchased from an authorized reseller, then the refund/return would be according to the policy of the retailer.

Please let us know if you are OK with the above information. If you need more information, please do not hesitate to ask. If clarification on anything that I have written is needed, please let me know.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Editing iMovie files with Adobe Premiere Elements for Windows
            CluelessMom Level 1

Thank you for the prompt reply!

So basically, sounds like it should work, but he may have to play with some of the settings on his Apple devices for best results.

I do plan to have him try before purchase, so we'll see what happens!

• 3. Re: Editing iMovie files with Adobe Premiere Elements for Windows
              A.T. Romano Level 7

clue

Please do not hesitate to ask more questions once you try the program. With more details from you, I can help you customize

the import, editing, and export settings to get the best results.

Good starting pointing is verifying the properties of the source media

video compression

audio compression

frame size

frame rate

interlaced or progressive

file extension

pixel aspect ratio

But, we should have most, if not all, of that from the posted outputs for your iPod and iPad devices. Just need to verify settings to make sure.

Next step is setting the project preset to match the properties of the source. The program is designed to take over and

automatically set the project preset to match the properties of the source. The following applies to 13 as well as versions 11 and 12.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Accuracy of Automatic Project Preset (New Project Dialog) Setting

Give the program a good workout before purchase. You should do fine.

Looking forward to further developments when your schedule permits.

Best wishes

ATR