11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 24, 2014 5:50 AM by Flash Curious

Premiere Elements Misinterprets Clip Size on Import

Flash Curious

I set up my Premiere project for DV/NTSC 16:9 48 then import clips that have those properties. Premiere interprets the clips as 540x480. The clips display correctly in the free MS program MoveMaker. Why are they displaying incorrectly in Premiere?

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements Misinterprets Clip Size on Import
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Flash Curious

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

Do you really mean 640 x 480 instead of 540 x 480?

What are the properties of the source video that you are importing into the project for which you have set the NTSC DV Widescreen project preset?

Are they 720 x 480 16:9 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second or something else?

What is the brand/model/settings of the camera that has recorded your source media?

The answers to the above should help us sort out the situation.

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...In Movie Maker, what have you set for the project 4:3 or 16:9? Assumed 16:9.

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements Misinterprets Clip Size on Import
            Flash Curious Level 1

Thanks for your response. I am not having any issues with HD 1080 files from my quadcopter and my GoPro Hero 4. This only applies to files from my Canon FS 200.

1. I am using Premiere Elements 13 on a Win 7 machine with 16 GB RAM and an i5 processor.

2. No, the properties of the imported files in Premiere are 540x480.

3. The source video is 720x640 16:9 29.97.

4. Camera is a Canon FS200 set to 16:9 highest quality record, which generates MOD files - again read without modification by MoveMaker. I did change the file tag to MPEG on some other files and they played fine from Windows Media Player and MovieMaker.

5. MovieMaker reads the files directly from the camera at project settings at 16:9.

Appreciate your help.

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements Misinterprets Clip Size on Import
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Flash Curious

The following I still question

2. No, the properties of the imported files in Premiere are 540x480.

3. The source video is 720x640 16:9 29.97.

But let us move on for the moment to the history on .mod widescreen.

You said the target words ".mod widescreen". This issue presents for Premiere Elements (any version). And, with me, it is an endless debate if the 16:9 flag of the file is not recognized by Premiere Elements or the 16:9 flag is missing altogether.

Be that as it may, the answer that has worked for many is the following....

1. Open Premiere Elements 13 to the Expert workspace and set the project preset manually to

NTSC DV Widescreen.

2. Then import your .mod widescreen (in some cases, you may have to rename the file extension from .mod to .mpg and then do the import).

Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets.

3. In Project Assets, right click the thumbnail for the file, select Interpret Footage. In the Interpret Footage dialog, go to Pixel Aspect Ratio section, and dot the Conform to: which you then set to D1/DV NTSC Widescreen 16:9 (1.2121).

4. When you get back to the Expert workspace and have dragged you adjusted video to the Timeline, you can adjust with any very small black border that may still exist.

Now back to your Canon FS200. It does not produce video 720 x 640 16:9 29.97. Rather, 720 x 480 16:9 29.97 These files with the .mod file extension use MPEG2 video compression.

Canon FS200 review - CNET.

Please review and consider the Interpret Footage workflow for the pixel aspect ratio part of the problem and changing the file extension (if indicated) from .mod to .mpg.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements Misinterprets Clip Size on Import
                Flash Curious Level 1

Thanks again for your help.

You were right about the FS200 shooting 720x480.

However, I already tried the interpret footage command and it made no difference, even with the file extension changed to MPG.

I can attach a screen shot of the properties window in Premiere that shows the file to be 540x480 if you like. It remains the same even after applying interpret footage.

Is this a problem with the Canon file or Premiere?mod_properties.jpg

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements Misinterprets Clip Size on Import
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Flash Curious

Thanks for the helpful additional information.

Would it be possible for you to send us a small sample clip of this particular Canon recording in a Dropbox link in your thread?

Is the problem only with this particular Canon recording or with any video recording from the Canon camera?

I will also look online to see if I can find any Canon FS200 samples that I can download and work with to try to figure out the cause of

this problem.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements Misinterprets Clip Size on Import
                    Flash Curious Level 1

I have tried to use various clips with both the MOD and MPG tag and the result is always the same.

Here are the Dropbox links in both MOD and MPG:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10085756/MOV03B.MOD

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10085756/MOV00C.MPG

Thanks!

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements Misinterprets Clip Size on Import
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Flash Curious

I do not have Premiere Elements 13 installed at the present time, so I did the testing with Premiere Elements 12/12.1 on Windows 7 64 bit.

I could not confirm the appearance of 540 x 480 reading anywhere for the MOD03B.MOD file.

The file before it saw Premiere Elements

Media Info Properties Readout

720 x 480 16:9

29.97 interlaced frames per second

Field Order = Upper Field First

Premiere Elements Project Assets/Properties from Thumbnail

720 x 480

29.97 interlaced frames per second

Field Order = Upper Field First

But, the Pixel Aspect Ratio = 0.9001 which is characteristic of 4:3 and not 16:9.

All of this is consistent with the old story of the mod widescreen behavior in Premiere Elements.

And, the remedy was/is

1. Open Premiere Elements to the Expert workspace and set the project preset manually to

NTSC DV Widescreen.

2. Then import your .mod widescreen (in some cases, you may have to rename the file extension from .mod to .mpg and then do the import).

Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets.

3. In Project Assets, right click the thumbnail for the file, select Interpret Footage. In the Interpret Footage dialog, go to Pixel Aspect Ratio section, and dot the Conform to: which you then set to D1/DV NTSC Widescreen 16:9 (1.2121).

I did not have to rename the file extension from .mod to .mpg for this to work for me with your file.

When you tried this, did you manually set the project preset or did you let the project do it for you automatically? If you have not already, please

do this with the project preset set by you not the project. To do that, before import of the file into the project.. Expert workspace

File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings

In Change Settings, set for NTSC DV Widescreen and click OK to leave Change Settings.

You will next see the new project dialog. Make sure that you have a check mark next to Force Selected Project Setting on This Project and then OK out of there.

Then import your .mod widescreen file into the project with Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets.....and so on.

This should work for you. If it does, we can discuss the pros and cons of the NTSC DV Widescreen project preset versus NTSC Hard Disk Flash Memory Camcorder Widescreen one (relates to your Field Order if your destination is DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc).

This is what I am getting for Properties when I right click the Project Assets thumbnail for your .mod file

MODProperties.JPG

This is what your .mod file looks like after I did the Pixel Aspect Ratio/Conform to: change in Interpret Footage

MOD2.JPG

As I said, this was all done with Premiere Elements 12/12.1. I will see if I can get Premiere Elements 13 installed

to try this with it. The 12/12.1 and 13 results should be the same.

Please consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements Misinterprets Clip Size on Import
                        Flash Curious Level 1

Unfortunately, I have already tried your exact approach several times without success.

I guess I will just continue using MovieMaker for these files since it does not have problem with them.

Too bad! I was looking forward to using some of the special effects in Premiere.

I would be interested to find out what happens when you download Premiere 13 and try the clips again.

Thanks

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements Misinterprets Clip Size on Import
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Flash Curious

Thanks for the follow up. Sorry the news was not better. Thank you for considering the troubleshooting.

I will report back on this as soon as possible with results specific for Premiere Elements 13 and your samples.

Best wishes

ATR

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements Misinterprets Clip Size on Import
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Flash Curious

Today I installed the purchased version of Premiere Elements 13 on my Windows 7 64 bit computer. I will be installing it on Windows 8.1 64 bit as well, but did not get to that yet.

I have fully confirmed your finding about incorrect Properties and Interpret Footage readings for your mod widescreen file as well as another that I had in storage. These problems go beyond the usual. My results from first hand testing on the matter can be found in the following link

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: 13 Serious Problem With .MOD Widescreen Files

The Interpret Footage Pixel Aspect Ratio fix (to D1/DV Widescreen) for .mod widescreen no longer seems reliable or valid for Premiere Elements 13 mod widescreen.

I will be posting a thread on all this in this forum in order to draw attention to the matter. It is hoped that we can get an answer for whether or not Premiere Elements 13 can or should be used to editing mod widescreen without major caution.

ATR

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements Misinterprets Clip Size on Import
                              Flash Curious Level 1

ATR:

Thanks for confirming my suspicion that this was an actual Premiere Elements 13 "BUG", "DEFECT", "ISSUE".

I hope that Adobe will fix this defect quickly. I look forward to being able to use the program to do the work I purchased it for.