14 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2014 6:33 PM by A.T. Romano

I'm editing a dvd which is in vob format.

Poodlz

I'm using Windows 8.1 and media player doesn't have the codec for vob although Premiere Elements support it.  How do I get the codec I need?  All downloads I've looked at are blocked and have a virus!!

• 1. Re: I'm editing a dvd which is in vob format.
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Directly editing a VOB... or Ripping a VOB to edit using a note from Jim Simon

-http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1322647

I can use/edit a VOB file with Win8.1 - but that MAY be because I installed VLC media player

• 2. Re: I'm editing a dvd which is in vob format.
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Poodlz

Is all that you are after is playing the video files from DVD (.vob) on the Windows Media Player 12?

I suspect that the issue may go to the MPEG2 compression used in those files more so than the .vob file extension.

a. Does activating the Windows Media Center enable the Windows Media Player to play back of those MPEG2.vob?

b. Have you tried the VLC Player VideoLAN - Official page for VLC media player, the Open Source video framework! or the Media Player Classic Home · MPC-HC as alternative players?

But...

Are you actually having problems with .vob files as source media in a Premiere Elements project? What Premiere Elements version?

a. Either importing .vob video files that were saved to the computer hard drive

or

b. Placing your DVD disc in the burner tray and using the program's Add Media/DVD camera or computer drive/Video Importer to copy/rip vob video

files from the DVD disc?

If this is really a file extension issue, then have you considered renaming naming just the file extension of the file from .vob to .mpeg?

What program are you using to play back your DVD-VIDEO format on DVD disc?

Just some thoughts for you to explore. Please review and consider and then we can discuss this further.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: I'm editing a dvd which is in vob format.
              Poodlz Level 1

I used Premiere Elements 8 a couple of years agao to edit clips on the DVD I have with movie clips from an 8mm camera and had no problem loading them into Premiere using get Media.  At that time my computer had Windows XP, but I have now changed over to Windows 8.1 and I think that is where the issue is.  Have searched relentlessly on the net and have tried such programs as Handbrake, but still not having any luck.  I am not totally conversant with video editing but from what I can see Windows Media Player in Windows 8.1 does not support vob and I think that is where the issue is??

Thanks for your help...so fustrating

• 4. Re: I'm editing a dvd which is in vob format.
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Poodlz

Thanks for the reply. The basic problem with Windows Media Player and MPEG2 playback in Windows 8.0/8.0.1 appears to be documented. But...

Is there no way that the VLC Player and/or the Media Classic Player can be of assistance here?

But, I have Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 8.1 64 bit. If I burn to Folder (4.7 GB), open the VIDEO_TS Folder, go to the VTS_01_1.VOB in the

VIDEO_TS Folder and rename the file to VTS_01_1.mpeg, I can play back that renamed file in the Windows Media Player 12 on that Windows 8.1 64 bit. Have you tried that to see if that works the same way for you?

If so, maybe the more MPEG2 than VOB needs rethinking?

We will be watching for your follow up.

ATR

• 5. Re: I'm editing a dvd which is in vob format.
                  Poodlz Level 1

I have copied to vts files into a folder but I don’t seem to be able to rename……I’m tearing my hair out here.  If I right click on the file I can only change the name, not the extension.  Obviously I have got something wrong??

• 6. Re: I'm editing a dvd which is in vob format.
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Poodlz

Keep a positive thought.

VTS_01_1.VOB

Right click the file, select Rename from the drop down list.

When you do, you will see a blue highlight for the VTS_01_

Then move the mouse cursor to line up immediately after the B, click there

Then use the backspace key of the computer main keyboard to back up over O and then the V. Do not include the dot in the backup.

Now type mpeg

Hit the Enter key of the computer main keyboard.

And you should have VTS_01_1.mpeg which should play in your Windows Media Player on Windows 8.1 64 bit (I hope.)

We will be watching for the good news.

ATR

• 7. Re: I'm editing a dvd which is in vob format.
                      Poodlz Level 1

That’s my frustration…I’ve renamed files many times before, but it is not showing me the extension at all….just VTS_01……grrrrrh

• 8. Re: I'm editing a dvd which is in vob format.
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Poodlz

Do not give up.

An option might need an adjust....

On the computer main keyboard hit Windows Key + X to bring up a list which includes File Explorer, click on File Explorer

On the page the comes up, click on the View Tab

Then look to the far right of the page to where it says Options

Click on Options (toward the tab's top)

This will bring up the Folder Options dialog

In the Folder Options, click on its View Tab

Under that View Tab, scroll down to the option named "Hide extensions of know file types" and make

sure there is no check mark there.

ATR

• 9. Re: I'm editing a dvd which is in vob format.
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Poodlz

Reflections on your latest reply you wrote

it is not showing me the extension at all….just VTS_01…

If the problem  was not in the option, then please revisit my instructions for the file name change....I refreshed a few steps

VTS_01_1.VOB

Right click the file, select Rename from the drop down list.

When you do, you will see a blue highlight for the VTS_01_1

Then move the mouse cursor to line up immediately after the B, click there

Then use the backspace key of the computer main keyboard to back up over B, and then O and then the V. Do not include the dot in the backup.

Now type mpeg

Hit the Enter key of the computer main keyboard.

And you should have VTS_01_1.mpeg which should play in your Windows Media Player on Windows 8.1 64 bit (I hope.)

When you click immediately after the B, the blue highlighting of the VTS_01_1 will disappear as you begin your backups B to O to V.

ATR

• 10. Re: I'm editing a dvd which is in vob format.
                            Poodlz Level 1

Yeah found it – I had to go to my control panel and take the flag off show file extensions!!!  Now I can continue and see how I get on.

Cheers

• 11. Re: I'm editing a dvd which is in vob format.
                              Poodlz Level 1

Have changed file extension but won't load into Premerie so will have to go with what I've got!

Jane Jamieson

021 657 316

• 12. Re: I'm editing a dvd which is in vob format.
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Poodlz

Thanks for the follow up and staying with the troubleshooting suggestions.

Did you get the VTS_01_1.mpeg version to play in the Windows Media Player?

That VTS_01_1.mpeg should have been imported into Premiere Elements with the program's Add Media/Files and Folders/

Project Assets. Been there and done that in road testing the matter. Maybe give it another look with the same or another file of

the VTS series.

When your schedule permits, please let us know of your progress.

Best wishes

ATR

• 13. Re: I'm editing a dvd which is in vob format.
                                  Poodlz Level 1

Thanks for all your help I have finally been able to complete my project and by changing the extension on my vob files I was able to find all my data.

Now I have a new problem and wonder if you can help me understand…my current PC had Adobe Photoshop 10 pre loaded.  I have just take a freeze frame from my movie and when I went to edit it found that Photoshop is no longer there…I assume what has happened that when I downloaded Premiere Elements 8 it overwrote Photoshop 10??

• 14. Re: I'm editing a dvd which is in vob format.
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Poodlz

Wonderful news that you completed your project successful. Great job.

Typically these programs are standalone programs - no overwriting.

By Adobe Photoshop 10, I am assuming that you mean Adobe Photoshop Elements 10. Premiere Elements 8 install would not be expected to interfere

with Adobe Photoshop Elements 10.

Do you have the serial number for your Adobe Photoshop Elements 10? If not, because of the pre-loaded software arrangement, then we are going to try to find the serial number at Adobe web site. Go to Adobe web site http://www.adobe.com, sign in with your Adobe ID and password, type in the Search field "My Products". Then follow the "My Products" link to your products. Find Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 and click on it.

The serial number should be revealed.

If that works, we have 1/2 the recovery done.

Download and install the free tryout of Photoshop Elements 10 from the following web site and insert your purchased serial number in it during installation

http://prodesigntools.com/photoshop-elements-10-direct-download-links-pse-premiere-pre.htm l

About your present situation....is there no trace of Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 in Control Panel/installed programs?

We will be watching for further developments.

Best wishes

ATR