11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2015 10:40 AM by station_two

Cannot Use Printer with my Photoshop CS5.  Error Message.

robert.englebright

I am encountering a problem that I never have before.  When Click on File>Print I get this error message:  "There was an error opening your printer. Printing functions will not be available until you have selected a printer and reopened any documents."

This happened suddenly.  I had been printing with no problem just a few minutes prior.  I did nothing unusual that I can recall to have caused this error message.  I am using a Mac Pro using OS 10.9.5. 

Thank you in advance for your help. 

• 2. Re: Cannot Use Printer with my Photoshop CS5.  Error Message.
          master55566

It is probably a good way to solve the problem.

• 3. Re: Cannot Use Printer with my Photoshop CS5.  Error Message.
            robert.englebright Level 1

Ok.  I will try that and get back to you.

• 4. Re: Cannot Use Printer with my Photoshop CS5.  Error Message.

I discovered that I have the correct and most recent version of the Epson driver.  I also contacted Epson and they had me delete and then add the printer through the "Printers & Scanners" dialogue box in System Preferences.  An important detail that I now realize I left out is that I can still print using the Print Module in Lightroom 5.  So I do not think it is an issue associated with the printer.  My intuition tells me it's a Photoshop issue.  Here is the problem in greater detail:

When I try to print an image in Photoshop by clicking on the "Print" command I get this message: "There was an error opening your printer. Printing functions will not be available until you have selected a printer and reopened any documents" and am unable to select the print options again (greyed out). I have to close the image and reopen it before I can try printing again. However, if I first try to print by clicking on the "Print One Copy" command I get a warning box

"The image is larger than the paper’s printable area; some clipping will occur". If I click "Proceed" within this warning box nothing happens. If I click "Cancel" I still have the print options available to me, unlike if I click on the "Print" command.

Something interesting happened prior to this problem. I was in the "Print With Preview" window. I had selected the image to print at 75% and had selected all of the options I needed to make a print - something I've done hundreds of times. I believe (not 100% certain) I then clicked "Print" when the window within the "Print With Preview" dialogue box that usually shows the image went gray and I could do nothing to get it back.

Now, the only way I can print an image is by using the Print module in Lightroom 5.

• 5. Re: Cannot Use Printer with my Photoshop CS5.  Error Message.
                Level 5

robert.englebright wrote:

…So I do not think it is an issue associated with the printer.  My intuition tells me it's a Photoshop issue.  Here is the problem in greater detail:

If you already got to the "Print With Preview" window, the printer driver is controlling your workflow from then on.  Photoshop is functionally out of the loop.

Of course it's always your privilege to follow your "intuition" rather than the advice given to you here.

Good luck.

• 6. Re: Cannot Use Printer with my Photoshop CS5.  Error Message.

station_two:  I'm not sure of the intent of your remark.  Sounded a bit snarky and odd that you would focus on that statement.  Don't give advice if you are going to be insulted if people don't take it.

But anyway, I did check into the print driver issue with Epson, as you suggested, and found that the print driver is not the problem.  I am no longer even getting to the "Print with Preview" window.

• 7. Re: Cannot Use Printer with my Photoshop CS5.  Error Message.
                    Level 5

robert.englebright wrote:

station_two:

…Don't give advice if you are going to be insulted if people don't take it.

Don't ask for advice if you're going to feel insulted, period.

We're here to offer solutions and workarounds, not to debate with posters, specially about their "intuition" contradicting our responses.  We don't offer our time to be wasted in that fashion. Can you possibly imagine what I care about your "intuition"?

A simple thank you or your silence would have sufficed.  You didn't need to reply at all.

As always in the forums, if you don't like any response or post, you are entitled to your money back: $0.00.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BOILERPLATE TEXT extracted from the FAQs:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/375816?tstart=0

Do not be abusive or aggressive in your tone

An aggressive, demanding, accusatory or abusive sounding post will often evoke an aggressive or abusive and unhelpful reply.

Remember, you are not addressing Adobe here in the user forums.  You are requesting help from volunteers users just like you who give their time free of charge. No one has any obligation to answer your questions.

• 8. Re: Cannot Use Printer with my Photoshop CS5.  Error Message.

Such thin skin!!  Wow.  I'm not insulted in the least bit.  Relax.  I read your solution and I appreciate that you took the time to respond.  I wasn't expecting you to get offended by an innocent statement I make about my intuition.  So easily offended!!  I thought I was engaging in a dialogue to solve a problem, but instead I somehow get a guy who is unnecessarily offended by the use of my words and goes off on a tangent.  I just want to solve my problem.  The suggestion you made did not work, so now I'm moving on.

• 9. Re: Cannot Use Printer with my Photoshop CS5.  Error Message.
                        Level 5

I'm not "easily offended". I'm easily irritated, because I don't suffer fools gladly.  I rarely take offense.

• 10. Re: Cannot Use Printer with my Photoshop CS5.  Error Message.
                          tompr Level 1

robert, have you tried pressing command-option-shift on a Photoshop restart.  It worked for me.  If it works for you let "station_zero" know we are all irritated by his lack of knowledge!

• 11. Re: Cannot Use Printer with my Photoshop CS5.  Error Message.

Thank you Tompr.  The problem was solved when I went through a series of procedures to remove and reset my preferences in Photoshop.   It was not the driver, as station_two insisted.

As for station_two, I am not even reading his replies at this point, let alone engaging in a conversation with him.  With some people you cannot win and it is best to ignore them.  There is something wrong with a person who gets so worked up over an innocent comment I made, so it is best to avoid them.

• 12. Re: Re: Cannot Use Printer with my Photoshop CS5.  Error Message.
                              Level 5

REDACTED/revised after moderation:

Extracted from the FAQ:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/375816?tstart=0

Do not be abusive or aggressive in your tone

An aggressive, demanding, accusatory or abusive sounding post will often evoke an aggressive or abusive and unhelpful reply.

Remember, you are not addressing Adobe here in the user forums.  You are requesting help from volunteers users just like you who give their time free of charge. No one has any obligation to answer your questions.

As always in the forums, if you don't like a given answer, you're entitled to get your money back:  $0.00.

That being said, it is assumed that anyone posting here has done his or her due diligence (as per the FAQ) and therefore knows that deleting and recreating preferences in Photoshop, and Repairing Permissions with Apple's Disk Utility on the Mac are the first line of defense in troubleshooting Photoshop on the Mac.

I would rather expose myself to insults than insult the poster by insinuating he hasn't actually done his due diligence before posting here.

It would be practically the same as asking the original poster if he forgot to turn his machine on.