10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2014 2:54 PM by Szalam

Rendering any size video

GTA Design

This might be a dumb question but I am wondering what is the best way to render a video at an odd size.

I am making moving backgrounds basically except the resolution is 5760 X 1080 or 1920 X 480. These backgrounds are for Environmental Projection at my church. That is using three projectors to project on the walls in the auditorium to change the environment. I currently render a video as a Quicktime animation but a 10 second motion background is about 4 gigs. Is there a better option that will still allow me to render this odd size?

Thanks,

Grant 

• 1. Re: Rendering any size video
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What codec are you using in the QuickTime container?

I'll be the Photo-JPEG codec would be smaller.

• 2. Re: Rendering any size video
            Dave LaRonde Level 6

First thing to do -- double-check how they'll play back.  Is the system even capable of playing back super-widescreen video?  Will it split it up over multiple screens for you?  What are the allowable horizontal & vertical dimensions?

Next, find out the media container (AVI, QT, MP4, etc), the codec (H.264, ProRes, Photo JPEG, etc.), and the frame rate.

Get that info and then write back.

• 3. Re: Rendering any size video
              GTA Design Level 1

We use Renewed Vision's ProPresenter5. The program projects an image 5760 x 1080 to a matrox triple head2go which splits the image up into three 1920 X 1080 sections then sends that to three individual projectors.

Pro Presenter 5 can play .mov or .mp4

the frame rate is 24

I don't know much more than that.

• 4. Re: Rendering any size video
                Dave LaRonde Level 6

Have you run any tests?  You should.  I'd begin with a 10-second animation made in AE of just about anything -- maybe a countown with something spinning up in one corner... that's easy.

Work in the delivery size, 5860x1080.  Make 2 different comps, one at 24 fps and one at 23.976fps... no fooling.  Then render each using Quicktime's Photo JPEG codec.  Bring them into Adobe Media Encoder to make Mp4's in the H.264 codec.

Then play 'em.  You ought to learn a lot.

• 5. Re: Rendering any size video
                  GTA Design Level 1

Thanks for that. I tried what you suggested. Using Quicktime's Photo JPEG codec. both 24fps and 23.976fps were 1.76gigs then I ran them through Adobe Media Encoder to make Mp4 in the H.264 codec. The Quicktime Photo JPEG were the right size. The MP4 H.264 codec sized them inside of 1920x1080.

• 6. Re: Rendering any size video
                    Dave LaRonde Level 6

I forgot to mention this:  when you play them, play them on the Pro Presenter.  You won't learn much playing them on your desktop.  Sorry about the omission.

• 7. Re: Rendering any size video

h.264 has some frame size limitations as a codec. If Pro Presenter can play back the ones with the Photo-JPEG codec (and if you have the storage space for it) I would go that route. Alternatively, I would look for other codecs that Pro Presenter does support and testing them.

• 8. Re: Rendering any size video
                        Dave LaRonde Level 6

Oh, and there's this -- what's wrong with 1.76GB?  Not a thing!  Take 'em to church!  Put 'em in Pro Presenter!  See if they work!

An alternative -- open the Pro Ptresenter User Manual and actually look up the media containers and codecs it accepts.

• 9. Re: Rendering any size video
                          GTA Design Level 1

That is true 1.76gig will work. If I purchase a file from Triple Wide Media their files are 1920X480 and a .mov the file size is depends on the video but around 30MB. These files work great in propresenter.

• 10. Re: Rendering any size video
                            Dave LaRonde Level 6

Sounds like you have some of these files already!  You KNOW they work fine for you, so don't fool around!  Make your stuff in the same dimensions, frame rate, media container and codec as the files that work already!

Copy one of those files!  I(mport it into AE!  highlight it and get the lowdown on it in the little window at the top of AE's project pane!  Make the same thing!  Life gets a lot easier!

End of sermon.

• 11. Re: Rendering any size video

I'm with Dave on this one; find out what codec they're using and use that.

If it's H.264, cool, but notice the size they did it at. It's within the H.264 allowable specs.