8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2014 6:32 PM by icfives

Pshop CS6 - layers collapsing when saving psd file

icfives

With other layered files in CS6, this has not happened. Client wanted different background.

All of a sudden, saving a layered, small psd file, I happened to notice it collapsed to single layer.

Single resulting layer still called Layer 3, not Background. Could not Revert since file was saved. Checked any options under Layers. None worked.

Am I missing something here? Been using Pshop since v3. Can't determine how to retrieve missing layers. Saved file even says .psd, but is collapsed. Layers palette still has Flatten image available.

Tab at top of file window still says Layer 3. This file had approx five layers. Screen capture below...

Screen Shot 2014-12-17 at 6.42.52 PM.png

Thanks for any opinions....

• 1. Re: Pshop CS6 - layers collapsing when saving psd file
          icfives Level 1

BTW....  the Save As window for the ,psd file does have Layers box checked (by default). I never deselect it.

• 2. Re: Pshop CS6 - layers collapsing when saving psd file
            Level 5

Is it possible that you may have had only your Layer 3 visible when you saved the file?

If you had sent it to the client, you must certainly have at least one backup to go to?

• 3. Re: Pshop CS6 - layers collapsing when saving psd file
              icfives Level 1

It's possible. But if so, was not intentional. I see under Layers, you can Hide or Show layers. I've never used that before and there's no keystroke for it so I couldn't have done by accident.

Plus there's no History trail. History shows only this Layer 3. I Spotlight searched thinking I could saved it to another folder. Nothing there either.

I searched my ext backup drive for this file which I started late on the 17th. Had seven backup times. All of them show the same .psd file as the final which you see posted above. Extremely mysterious. Even the first saved file is like the last one, only one layer in the .psd file.

Really Twilight Zone...

I'm not really hurting in terms of client. She liked the final I sent. Just bugs me this happened to the layered file. Didn't know if the Discussion group had seen anything like this. I found nothing in the topics search. Couldn't see anything in Prefs referring to layers options.

Would you know of any other possible way I could have inadvertently hidden or lost the other layers? I never had them all selected (except #3) and accidentally clicked the trash. I typically drag layers to trash anyway.

Am I not correct in saying, when you collapse or merge into a final layer, the remaining final layer says Background? ... which it does not indicate here (see image above). But I always save the .psd files when saving tif or jpg anyway. Just can't figure it. I thought there might be something new in CS6 that I could have clicked on without knowing to cause this. Can't find any new icons or commands that would do this.

thanks......

• 4. Re: Pshop CS6 - layers collapsing when saving psd file
                Level 5

You can toggle the visibility of any layer by clicking on the eye symbol/icon to the left of the layer thumbnail and name.  But I just realized even that would be irrelevant.

I just took a multi-layered PSD file, made all layers except one invisible and saved as a copy.  The new file had all layers, including the ones deliberately marked as invisible, still invisible but with all layers intactin the Layer Panel.

So we're back to square one.  Sorry. 

• 5. Re: Pshop CS6 - layers collapsing when saving psd file
                  icfives Level 1

thanks for your testing efforts. Perhaps it's a bug in CS6 no one has reported yet?

It is a stretch, but I suppose I could have hit the command-E keys which does merge down, but not flatten file. I always use the drop down from Layers palette for this function.

If you discover anything, please let me know.....   gracias

• 6. Re: Pshop CS6 - layers collapsing when saving psd file
                    Level 5

No. If it were a bug, everyone would be seeing it.  I cannot reproduce your issue.

Bugs must be reproducible, or they are not bugs.

• 7. Re: Pshop CS6 - layers collapsing when saving psd file
                      Level 5

Command Shift E, does flatten the file.

• 8. Re: Pshop CS6 - layers collapsing when saving psd file
                        icfives Level 1

In that case, I'm hoping it's something I did inadvertently rather than Pshop. I can fix that  :-D

thanks for input...