9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2014 9:54 PM by ~IanB~

How Can I Side Scroll in Folder Pane

terriannphoto

I have recently started using Lightroom again (has 2 then upgraded to 5 in the past year) one thing I've noticed is that there's no side scrolling in the Folders pane. Because of that I can't read the folder names.

I know if I move my photos to a higher level directory that would fix it but it's not like my photos are in an unusual place. The path structure I use is:

Mac HD : /Users/Terriann/Photos/2014/12-17 - Folder of images/

I could of sworn the last time I seriously used Lightroom (years ago and on a PC, now I'm on a Mac) I could side scroll that panel so I could read the folder names.

Screenshot 2014-12-17 18.51.48.png

• 1. Re: How Can I Side Scroll in Folder Pane
          ~IanB~ Level 1

not sure 'side scroll' is meant do

maybe this: move the mouse/pen over the right hand border of the panel and a double arrow will appear. left click and drag that border.Does move far

TIP to make side panels disappear hit "tab"

• 2. Re: How Can I Side Scroll in Folder Pane
            terriannphoto Level 1

By side scroll I mean scroll horizontally in the pane so I can view the folder names that you can see are cut off in the screen shot. Kind of like when a website is too wide for your screen you scroll horizontally to see the rest of the page.

Yes expanding the size of the left side allows me to read the folders but also takes up way too much screen real estate.

• 3. Re: How Can I Side Scroll in Folder Pane
              wobertc Adobe Community Professional

There is no left-right scroll available.

Your options are-

1. Widen the panels as suggested (but occupies screen as stated.!)

2. Set the left panels to automatically close and open by placing mouse over the left border.

Right-click the small grey triangle on the left border for these panel options.

3. Learn the shortcut  F7 key to hide/show the left panels.  (Other Panels-  F8-Right  F5-top F6-Filmstrip)

4. Appreciate that hovering the mouse over a folder (half hidden) will show a pop-up of the full folder name. (is this in preferences??)

5. Go to the very top folder of the folder panel and Right-Click, then select "Hide this Parent"

This may limit you folders to only show the image folders you want. (2010, 2011, etc)

• 4. Re: How Can I Side Scroll in Folder Pane
                terriannphoto Level 1

That's rather disappointing :/ Seems a horizontal scroll bar shouldn't be missing from the product, certainly seems like a bug if these are the only solutions. I keep the panels hidden when in devleop mode but I guess I'll have to keep it that way all the time.  Stinker..

• 5. Re: How Can I Side Scroll in Folder Pane
                  ~IanB~ Level 1

keep these short cuts in mind to remove panels if you work that way

F5 top panel

f6 bottom panel

f7 left hand panel

f8 right panel

tab left and right panel

"F" is great also........push the chair back and have a good look at the mess I have made of a perfect good file

I would like the option to move panels like film strip on the top or left hand with the standard LHS panel

These silly wide screens are useless imo for vertical images.

Maybe in LR 10

• 6. Re: How Can I Side Scroll in Folder Pane
                    ~IanB~ Level 1

who adds "correct answer" to a thread...................how is it done?

• 7. Re: How Can I Side Scroll in Folder Pane
                      Bob Somrak Level 5

The OP has the option to add "correct answer".

• 8. Re: How Can I Side Scroll in Folder Pane
                        terriannphoto Level 1

I know there are shortcuts but they're 2-handed shortcuts which aren't great for me when I'm editing from my laptop.  I'm tempted to load up my old copy of LR2 cause this "feature" to scroll sideways cause once I'm drilled down that far I RARELY need to view the parent directories. Oh well. Thanks for the help guys.

• 9. Re: How Can I Side Scroll in Folder Pane
                          Bob Somrak Level 5

Although I agree that a "scroller" on the folder panel would be useful, Lightroom is designed to use a keywords, metadata and filters workflow for selectings photos instead of a folder based workflow and once you start using it that way you will not have to "drill" down through folders looking for files.

For instance, to select dates for any given day or month you can use the filter bar

Screen Shot 2014-12-17 at 10.41.49 PM.png

or you can click on the little arrow next to the date in the metadata on a photo and it will filter for all the photos on that date.

Screen Shot 2014-12-17 at 10.42.22 PM.png

It is a different concept to folders but once you set it up it is very powerful.

• 10. Re: How Can I Side Scroll in Folder Pane
                            ~IanB~ Level 1

those s/cut are the F5 key so only one finger needed. I don't use them much but handy to know

depends on your usage but I suggest holding back on the return LR2; a lot has happened to LR since 2-3 and even 4