9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2014 8:57 PM by h_c

Importing a 900 page MS-Word document to InDesign CS 6

h_c

The Word document has course descriptions of all the classes offered at a community college. The need is to have two columns(textboxes of equal size)

in each page of the InDesign document and then bring the information from the Word document to InDesign so that when it is printed, it can be like information in a telephone directory as

Page 1

Column 1 data Column 2 data

Page 2

Column 1 data Column 2 data

and so on.

The Word document is like

Page 1

Page 1 data

Page 2

Page 2 data

I understand using the Place option in File menu, the Word document can be imported, but how can the information be

brought over so that it flows in the two columns of each InDesign page. If I do an import now, the InDesign pages are like

Page 1

Page 1 data

Page 2

Page 2 data

I selected the Import options while using the Place option in File menu and chose

Use Indesign formatting in case of a conflict.

1. Is there a way to bring the information from the Word document so that it flows in the two columns of each InDesign page without loss of formatting? The MS-Word document has bold text, headings, sub-headings etc.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

• 1. Re: Importing a 900 page MS-Word document to InDesign CS 6
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Did you create a two-column layout when you set up the pages?

You can preserve formatting during import, or not, depending on what you decide. Show Import Options in the Place dialog before clicking OK.

These are very fundamental techniques, so it sounds to me like you probably have had no training at all in the use of ID. The most commonly recommended beginner-level book is Sandee Cohen's Visual Quickstart Guide to InDesign. Video training from Lynda.com is also often suggested.

• 2. Re: Importing a 900 page MS-Word document to InDesign CS 6
            h_c Level 1

Thanks Peter for the reply.

Yes, I am new to ID.

Yes, I created a two column layout, duplicated it across the pages of ID, then did the import(choosing preserve formatting during import), but the text still comes in pages instead of the 2 column layout.

I created the 2 column layout for one page, then duplicated it. I do not know if that was the proper way.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Your previous posts in this forum(to questions of other people) were very helpful. The time and assistance you provide to people like me is certainly appreciated.

• 3. Re: Importing a 900 page MS-Word document to InDesign CS 6

Can you show us some screen shots of what you have in Word, and what you are getting in ID? Use the camera icon on the web page to embed the images:

CameraIcon.png

• 4. Re: Importing a 900 page MS-Word document to InDesign CS 6
                h_c Level 1

Thanks Peter,

I fixed that issue, but another Word document(33 pages) which also needed to be imported did not get imported properly. The first 19 pages got imported OK and then I get an overset text problem.  The suggested fix was resize text frame or edit the text to fit within the frame. Add text frames to story thread if necessary. 

I saved the Word document as .doc and .rtf but it still does not fix the issue.

• 5. Re: Importing a 900 page MS-Word document to InDesign CS 6

Something in the first line after the overset is too wide for your column, and the way to find it is to look at that text in the Story Editor view (Edit > Story in Story Editor) where you are able to see the overset text and select it.

Typically this can happen with a narrow column in combination with disallowing hyphens because the author has inserted non-breaking spaces between a string of words, or there is a single word that is too long to fit, such as a URL. Sometimes No Break is applied incorrectly to a long string, or paragraph indents are applied that add up to more than the column width, or even the text size is too big to fit a single word.

• 6. Re: Importing a 900 page MS-Word document to InDesign CS 6
                    h_c Level 1

Thanks Peter,

I found it in Story Editor View, took the text(Cut) and tried pasting it in the next line, but did not work. I pasted the text to Notepad so that formatting is removed, then tried pasting it in InDesign, but it still did not paste.

How can I find out what is causing it and how can it be fixed?

The Word document has all the information in a table(with no borders). I cannot get ID to import it. I tried "Remove styles and formatting from text and tables" option in Show Import Options, "Remove styles and formatting from text and tables" option with Preserve Local overrides checked so that tables can be converted to unformatted tables or unformatted tabbed text, but it did not work.

Thanks a lot for your prompt responses and time in this thread.

• 7. Re: Importing a 900 page MS-Word document to InDesign CS 6

It's basically a fishing expedition. You have to select the text and examine the formatting looking for anything that might be causing the problem. Something else could be some sort of table or anchored object that won't fit in a frame. If you are not in a hurry, you can package the file and send me a link to it in a private message and I'll see if I can find some time later today to look.

• 8. Re: Importing a 900 page MS-Word document to InDesign CS 6
                        Daniel Flavin Level 4

Personally I would Cut the problem text and Paste it into a new document to inspect/correct/massage it.

Working in a live document has the paranoia of trying to maintain the proper formatted text while applying changes to problematic areas.

Just my opinion.

• 9. Re: Importing a 900 page MS-Word document to InDesign CS 6
                          h_c Level 1

Thanks Peter,

I sent the message.

I appreciate all your time and help in this thread.

• 10. Re: Importing a 900 page MS-Word document to InDesign CS 6
                            h_c Level 1

Thanks Daniel,

I agree and tried that, but the unformatted text does not flow properly in the 2 column layout.