5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2014 1:49 PM by erica b.

Data Merge preview vs. document

erica b.

Hey there!

First off I am super new to InDesign.  I am using a Mac and version 4 of InDesign.

I am making mailing labels.  I have gotten everything in place, added my fields and linked my data source.  I go into create my merge document.  Ive selected merge multiple records and set all my margins and spacing to fit as needed.  I preview the document and everything looks great.  I click ok and it creates my pages/document. 

This is when the problem starts.  The completed merge only shows the first label on each page even after the preview is correct.  I have recreated the file 5 different times and get the same results.  Can anyone help? Im so frustrated!

• 1. Re: Data Merge preview vs. document
          Migintosh Level 4

erica b. wrote:

I am using a Mac and version 4 of InDesign.

Can you be specific? What OS version, and do you mean InDesign CS4? If you go to Apple>About this Mac, you can get the full OS version, and if you go to InDesign>About InDesign, you can get the full ID version (please include all of the decimals, as it will tell us if you are patched up to the latest version of that release).

Your merged document should look like your preview, so something must be wrong. Can you post some screen shots of the windows and what settings you have? I'm talking about the Create Merged Document window, and the three tabs within (Records, Multiple Record Layout and Options).

• 2. Re: Data Merge preview vs. document
            erica b. Level 1

Sorry I was not clear.  I have Mac OS X version 10.7.5 and InDesign CS4 version 6.0.6.

This is my master page that is created with my merge fields

Screen Shot 2014-12-18 at 3.00.11 PM.png

I am creating the merged document with preview on

Screen Shot 2014-12-18 at 3.03.43 PM.png

The other tabs of the create merge menus

Screen Shot 2014-12-18 at 3.03.49 PM.png

Final tab of menu

Screen Shot 2014-12-18 at 3.03.53 PM.png

All looks great and is exactly how I want it….so I click OK…….

Here is page 1 and 2 of the newly created document.  As you can see the first field is the only one that shows up on each page.

Screen Shot 2014-12-18 at 3.08.07 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-12-18 at 3.08.13 PM.png

Any clue??  Thanks so much for your help!

Erica

• 3. Re: Data Merge preview vs. document
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

For a multiple records merge you should have NOTHING on the page but a single set of merge fields in the upper left position. For this project you'll need to set the right margin large enough to prevent a second column from being created. Use the None master for the template, then apply your master with the static info to your pages after the merge.

Finally, Preview is very buggy in CS6 and later and you should avoid pressing the preview button, or if you can't take the leap of faith, press it, then Undo before running the merge. One a template has failed, it will never merge correctly, so you will need to copy the upper left placeholders from what you have, then Paste in Place in a new file, and do the same for the master page.

• 4. Re: Data Merge preview vs. document
                Daniel Flavin Level 4

Delete everything except the top left design.

• 5. Re: Data Merge preview vs. document
                  erica b. Level 1

Y'all are AMAZING!!!!! Thank you so much!!!!!  I got it finally!  I can't thank you enough!