5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2014 6:39 AM by Szalam

Changing the camera preset during animation...

Jack Gruber

... I'm new in AE CC and recently created a 3d cube following this tutorial The 3D Cube in After Effects - YouTube.

All 6 sites have now different animation running. What I want to have is that the camera should move inside the cube

but in order to watch the sites animations the preset should be changed to 15 mm as soon as the middle of the cube is reached.

The standard 50 mm camera can't be modified in the time line, starting with 15 mm camera from the beginning lets the cube

looking weird...... any suggestions?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Changing the camera preset during animation...
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can animate the zoom level of the camera if that's what you want to change.

• 2. Re: Changing the camera preset during animation...
            Jack Gruber Level 1

I was playing with the zoom levels of different camera presets but the levels applies to the entire composition only.

What I want is to have the 50 mm preset until a certain time frame and then change it to wide angle 15 mm once the

cube middle point is reached.....

• 3. Re: Changing the camera preset during animation...
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Select your camera layer and press the A key twice. Now click the stopwatch on any of the properties you see including zoom level. A standard 50mm lens has a zoom value of 2666.6667 pixels. Once you have enabled animation of the zoom value you can either drag the value around in the Timeline or you can double click on the camera and change the lens settings there. Your project should look like this:

By the way, changing the zoom value or more correctly, focal length of a lens does not change the perspective. Perspective is controlled by camera position. If you want to change perspective, change camera position, if you want to change the framing then change the focal length. AE's camera is 100% optically perfect so you won't get barrel distortion with a wide angle lens like you would with a real camera so if you want to simulate or match the perspective of something like a GoPro with it's nearly fisheye lens you'll have to add Effects>Distort>Optics Compensation and set a value for field of view.

Screen Shot 2014-12-19 at 4.31.45 AM.png

Here's a CS6 project for you to look at. Note that the perspective does not change until I move the camera. When you download the file your Browser may add a .txt extension after the .aep extension. Simply delete the .txt and AE will open the file.

• 4. Re: Changing the camera preset during animation...
                Jack Gruber Level 1

Thanks Szalam, Rick, you were both correct while Rick explained more like a newbie would understand. I was thinking too simple- like real life, take the 24mm film/camera lens for the entire pyramids shots, or the 400mm for wild life shooting or the 1200mm for the moon shot.... happy holidays to you.

• 5. Re: Changing the camera preset during animation...
                  Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm glad we got it figured out! Seasons greetings to you, as well.