5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2007 1:00 AM by topherzee

Sluggish browser performance in IE Internet Explorer

topherzee
      Hi everyone,
      Ive searched here and elsewhere and have not seen anything on this topic. Has anyone else experienced this? Have tips on improving it?

The 3d performance of my shockwave application is just fine, but the IE browser behaves badly, hyperlinks are slow to hilight when you rollover and most noticibly a frame scrolls very slowly, jerky instead of smooth. In Firefox the browser runs just fine. I see this in ie7, but i never had a chance to test on ie6. Ive only tested it on Windows XP. Im running a pentiumM at 1.6Ghz. I notice this effect even in the simplest of files with just an imported w3d model sitting on the first frame with no scripting at all.

I put together a test page for anyone who is curious, you can see performance of a number of SIMPLE shockwave files:
      http://www.dandelion.org/clients/ietest/frames.htm
      (Just try scrolling the side frame).

Hope i have included all the critical information.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, topher
        • 1. Re: Sluggish browser performance in IE Internet Explorer
          tedalde2 Level 2
          Strange... I see it too. IE6. I have files with much more happening and scrolling is perfectly smooth. Does the box/boxes have too many faces? What frame rate are you trying to run at? Why are the files named .DIR and protected... I couldn't open them.
          • 2. Re: Sluggish browser performance in IE Internet Explorer
            topherzee Level 1
            tedalde,
            Thanks for taking a look! Im glad to hear that you have had better performance on other shockwave files.
            My files are set to 30 frames per second tempo. The model with just the cube is REALLY simple. IE seems to slow down when the texture gets large 1024x1024 pixels. Still seems wierd. THe shockwave files run fine, its just the browser itself that gets clunky.

I didnt understand what you meant about the files being named ".dir" and protected? The left frame links to 5 different html files, and each html file has a differnet .dcr embedded. How did you encounter dir files?

But, dir files might help! I did add a link to a zip file that contains the .dir director files incase you had time to take a peak at them. They are extremely simple - i just wonder if I have some odd configuration settings that slow ie down somehow.

http://www.dandelion.org/clients/ietest/frames.htm

Thanks again!
            -Topher

• 3. Re: Sluggish browser performance in IE Internet Explorer
              topherzee Level 1
              Just tried exporting a dcr again after taking out some extra xtras that were in there. But it did not help.
              • 4. Re: Sluggish browser performance in IE Internet Explorer
                tedalde2 Level 2
                Sorry, I copied the DCR out of my cache and it got renamed DIR automatically. I put the DCR in a simple HTML page, no frames, etc. and scrolling was OK... did you try that?
                • 5. Re: Sluggish browser performance in IE Internet Explorer
                  topherzee Level 1
                  tedalde, I tried what you said, and then just progressively changed the parameters and bingo, the culprit is the swStretchParameter which I have set to "fill". When I set the swStretchParameter to "none", then the file runs great in IE.

So thanks for your help in tracking this down! Unfortunately it's not really a solution, IE should still run fast in stretchmode, at least Firefox does.

Just to round out this thread, this parameter is controlled in the Director "Publish" dialog box on the HTML tab by the "Stretch Style" control. Here are my results:

Control: swStretchStyle parameter
                  Stretch To Fill fill -> Very slow ie
                  Expand to Stage Size stage -> medium slow ie.
                  Preserve Proportions meet = ->medium slow ie.
                  No Stretching none = ->Fast ie.

Would love to hear if anyone else has any thoughts or comments on this.

-topher