8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 29, 2014 6:26 AM by Szalam Branched from an earlier discussion.

Why am I not hearing audio?

bres27

After installing after effects update, I no longer have sound during playback, I have read your previous comments and checked your suggestions. Premier pro works fine with the same audio file.

pc windows 7, previous versions of after effects were no problem, possible problem with flash player?

• 1. Re: Why am I not hearing audio?
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What update did you install?

What is the format of the video file?

Is Windows 7 updated to service pack 1?

• 2. Re: Why am I not hearing audio?
            Dave LaRonde Level 6

You say you don't hear the audio in Flash Player... at least that's how it reads.  Do you hear it in AE?  Did you render a file with an audio track?  Have you check your audio hardware settings for AE?

• 3. Re: Why am I not hearing audio?
              bres27 Level 1

I updated AE last night CC 2014, still image on one track, mp3 audio file on the second track and I have installed every update windows has to offer. I was working with AE a couple days ago but was not using sound at the time, so I am not sure exactly when the audio quit working, sound was working about a month ago. The audio problem only seems to exist in AE.

On a secondary note, the premier pro project I was working on reverted to an old version of the project after updating premier pro...I lost 4 hours worth of work...:\

• 4. Re: Why am I not hearing audio?
                bres27 Level 1

I did not try to export the file, the wave form shows up in the clip. I did check the project settings and preferences. I even tried different settings in the preferences. still no sound...:\

• 5. Re: Why am I not hearing audio?

Try using the Adobe Media Encoder to transcode the MP3 into a WAV and see if the WAV works.

• 6. Re: Why am I not hearing audio?
                    bres27 Level 1

I tried the media encoder and also adobe audition, no success, I retried other audio files that were in wav form and worked in previous versions, no success, It will let me key frame the audio file with animation. I am going to assume it is just a bad install or corrupted download. I am only aware of three ways the audio can be muted, the speaker icon on the track, the speaker icon on the RAM preview and the volume controls in the upper right hand corner. Are there any other controls or switches I am unaware of?
                    Audition, premier and media encoder work with the file normally. AE appears to be the only software affected.

Is it safe to uninstall and reinstall without damaging any of my project files?

• 7. Re: Why am I not hearing audio?
                      bres27 Level 1

I rendered the file per your suggestion, and the audio is on the export file, however it will still not play back in the render Que, since my composite requires the sound to composite correctly I would really love for that part of AE to work...

• 8. Re: Why am I not hearing audio?

bres27 wrote:

Is it safe to uninstall and reinstall without damaging any of my project files?

Yes.