25 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2015 6:14 AM by rsukhram@tgioa.com

3 Year Old System - Looking for Upgrade Recommendations

rsukhram@tgioa.com Level 1

Hello all,

Im a CC user now and working on a system I built 3 years ago.  I have realized that this build was not a wise build but I am stuck with all the components and trying to see what I can do to get the most out of it without having to replace my MOBO or CPUs.  I pretty much use all of what CC offers (PS, AI, ID, PR, AR, AU, LR, DW, Speed Grade and Edge Animate).  I am also the Creative Director and a Solutions Support person for my company so I use this rig for more that just Adobe apps (but none are as process intensive as the Adobe apps are).

The system is:

• Mobo: Asus Z9PE-D8 WS
      • CPUs: Dual Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2670 0 @ 2.60GHz, 2601 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
      • RAM:  64 GB (32 per CPU)
      • GPUs:  Maximus Configuration using a Quadro 4000 + Tesla C2075.  Also added a Quadro K2000 later to add an output for a 3rd monitor.

For HDDs:

• Samsung 830 (500GB) for OS + Apps
      • 1 WD 1TB Raptor Drive for Lightroom Files
      • 1 WD 1TB Raptor Drive for Caching
      • 1 WD 1TB Raptor Drive for Previews
      • 2 WD 1TB Raptor Drive in Raid 0 using the mobo Marvell controller for all media assets

All housed in a Cooler Master Cosmos II case and an Antec 1300 watt HCP Platinum PSU.

I sure that I overspent for this system but to reinvest on a mobo + cpu is not my intention immediately.  I feel this my system is not performing balanced properly to give me the performance I am looking for.   Perhaps its from using the on-board Marvell Controller?  Not sure.  I would however like to swap out my HDD's or add a Raid Controller or swap my GPUs with Titans (or anything that will make this rig speedy).

Any recommendations are much appreciated.

thanks

Lo