6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2014 12:28 PM by idar lettrem

depth mattes for use with freeform pro

idar lettrem Level 1

I'm in need for an easy way to create depth mattes to be used as displament maps ( still pictures only) in freeform pro

Which is the easiest way to manage this task, photoshop or any other tool ?

• 1. Re: depth mattes for use with freeform pro
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It depends on what you are trying to do. I tend to use shape layers with animated gradients or solids with Fractal Noise. There as many techniques as there are effects you want to create. It would really help if we knew what you are trying to accomplish and if your displacement layers or depth mattes need to be animated.

• 2. Re: depth mattes for use with freeform pro
            idar lettrem Level 1

Rick , if you take a look at this little experiment Untitled Document you'll see  a guitar being used as a displacement map ( texture made in a hurry  )  , - driven by sound_keys (RdGt).

Now , lets imagine a more complicated structure  under the same settings, for instance a human face , then the management of the displacement map would be more complicated ( wrinkles, light settings ...)  My question basically adresses a need for a simple routine / tool  appliceable for an effective work flow with stills, .. or am I forced to do this "the hard way" via photoshop.( Rowbyte's Buena depth que and TC form/particular has different approaches for this - but clearly an overkill in view of my present needs )

• 3. Re: depth mattes for use with freeform pro

I can't see your document === Don't have the DVIX player and won't install it in my production machine.

I have made displacement maps using human face by simply lighting the face with axial light and then turning the image black and white and messing with the contrast in AE. Any manipulation you do to an image in Photoshop to an image can be done in AE to a movie. You can even open a movie in Photoshop, convert it to a smart object and then apply any Photoshop filter you want and export the movie. I recently did this with the Watercolor effect in Photoshop for an opening credits sequence for a feature film.

• 4. Re: depth mattes for use with freeform pro
                idar lettrem Level 1

Ok, here's a new flash encoding ffprotest .

If I read you correct You lean on PS or AE.  I hesitate to dive into manipulating  lights / cameras/ levels/ contrast , I was more looking for dedicated tool to simplify this job. Either as a script_plugin_or_whatever part of Adobes portifolio , or as a stand alone tool. Maybe it doesn't exist ...

• 5. Re: depth mattes for use with freeform pro

All I would do for a video of a face is drop it into After Effects, create a new comp from the movie, apply Black and White from Color Correction and maybe then add curves or levels to maximize the contrast, then drop that movie in my comp to use as a displacement/depth matte for FreeForm. Nothing to it if the image was shot properly. You may need to key out the background or rotobrush. I can't tell what would be best without seeing the source footage for the depth matte. A still frame will do.

Your guitar image could be easily converted the same way and you could animate the contrast, opacity or other properties using audio to keyframes or you could use audio to keyframes to animate depth in Free Form.

• 6. Re: depth mattes for use with freeform pro
                    idar lettrem Level 1

Thanks Rick, looks like we're on the same lane - seemingly no easy shortcut around this ( the guitar was gray_scale_modified in PS)