3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2014 4:11 PM by George_Johnson

Customizing a checkbox.

cdhackett

I am needing to customize a checkbox on a stamp I am making.

I need the check box to initially be blank. First click it changes to a check, next click it changes to a O, next click it changes to a X, and finally one more click changes it back to blank.  There isn't an option already in place within Adobe so I am assuming JS must be added to make this happen. Can someone give me detailed instructions on how to impletment this.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Customizing a checkbox.
          George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Standard check boxes don't behave that way, but you can fake it with a button. Here's a link to a demo PDF that you can take a look at: http://www.acroscript.net/pdf/demos/multistate_demo.pdf

It's possible to make it work with a dynamic stamp, but the user wouldn't be able to directly interact with the faked checkbox. Once a stamp is placed, the user isn't able to make changes to the content since any form field that were present are flattened when the stamp is applied.

• 2. Re: Customizing a checkbox.
            cdhackett Level 1

Is there a way to make a form to be placed on documents then.  I am needing this be placed on documents and the user be able to type the date, name, and use the checkboxs as needed.

I was needing a way for people with only adobe reader to make changes to the stamp/form I was creating.

• 3. Re: Customizing a checkbox.

Yes, but it would help if you provide more details about your intended workflow. There are a number of options, but the best approach would depend on these details, particularly if it needs to work with Reader and which versions.

• 4. Re: Customizing a checkbox.

Also, it is possible with a stamp, but it would require programming a custom dialog that prompts the user for the information just before the stamp is placed. The user could always delete the stamp and re-stamp if anything needs to be changed. The main problem with this approach is custom dialogs are not simple to program, especially for novices, and what you're needing would be more advanced than most.