9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2014 2:13 PM by dj_paige

How to divide one catalog into two?

davidKheaton Level 1

I have a question that I can not find an answer to and hope I can get the help here.

Lightroom 5.

I have one catalog now and would like two.  The reason is I have two things that I shoot.  I do studio work for my clients and also do landscape photography for myself and for sale.  I would like to keep the two catalogs seperated.  One reason for this is when I use the star system to organize my photos then do a search for say 3 stars it brings up my portrait work and landscape work. I have all my files organized on my hard drive and simply want them to stay where they are but would like 2 seperate catalogs to reference.  I can not figure out how to do this.  Is anyone out there able to explain this to me?  Thanks

• 1. Re: How to divide one catalog into two?
          Keith_Reeder Level 4

Unless someone has a plug-in for this (Rob?) I'm pretty certain this isn't doable: even if you used an external SQLite manager (SQLiteManager » sqlite database management tools and server) I'm not sure Lr would be able to make use of databases chopped up outside of Lr. And that's assuming you could practically split the individual db records into two catalogues according to your preferences anyway.

Besides, this separation of images within a single catalogue is really what keywording is for.

• 2. Re: How to divide one catalog into two?
            dj_paige Level 9

While I agree with Keith that one catalog, with keywords or collections is a better idea than chopping up your catalog ...

You should be able to split these by selecting all of the portrait photos, then File->Export As Catalog; repeat for Landscape. Then use these two new catalogs and not the original catalog (which you can delete once you are sure you have everything)

• 3. Re: How to divide one catalog into two?
              Keith_Reeder Level 4

Yeah, creating a second catalogue within Lr is the sensible option.

• 4. Re: How to divide one catalog into two?
                davidKheaton Level 1

So if I understand correctly, if I make a collection of all my portrait work then export as new catalog it will create the new catalog and keep all the keywords, collections etc and leave the files where they are?  Then if I do the same thing to all the landscape images then just delete the original catalog it is all good?

• 5. Re: How to divide one catalog into two?
                  dj_paige Level 9

davidKheaton wrote:

So if I understand correctly, if I make a collection of all my portrait work then export as new catalog it will create the new catalog and keep all the keywords, collections etc and leave the files where they are?  Then if I do the same thing to all the landscape images then just delete the original catalog it is all good?

Well, there are a few assumptions that only you can verify. The major assumption is that all of your photos is in either one or the other category, that there aren't any photos in a 3rd category, and that you can segregate the photos properly. Then all is good ... except ... in my opinion, you are now doing unnecessary work to avoid the benefits of Lightroom

So if I understand correctly, if I make a collection of all my portrait work ...

I still recommend you stop right there, make a collection for landscape, make a collection for portrait, and not bother with splitting the catalog; your collections give you a virtual split, which is just as effective as actually splitting the catalog, but its less work, and it eliminates the possibility that you accidentally import a photo into the wrong one of your two future catalogs.

• 6. Re: How to divide one catalog into two?
                    davidKheaton Level 1

I understand what you are saying and it makes sense.  Maybe you can tell me how to do this then.  If I use stars and labels to help organize my images how can I do that without including both portrait and landscape work together?  I am fine with keeping it into one catalog but search and editing becomes messy for me.  I am probably missing something.

Thanks by the way for all the help.

• 7. Re: How to divide one catalog into two?
                      dj_paige Level 9

Simple, you use starts and labels and Collections or keywords (one named Portrait, and one named Landscape) to organize. When you select the Landscape collection or keyword, you see only the landscape photos and you can then search for whatever star or colors you want. Same for Portait.

• 8. Re: How to divide one catalog into two?
                        davidKheaton Level 1

So if I wanted to view only 3 star landscape images how would I filter it down?  If I click on all 3 star images portraits also show.  Is there a way to limit it only to landscapes or just portraits?  Would I need to put  a keyword (portrait) on all portraits?  Are you saying to make a collection of all landscape images and then all portrait images?

• 9. Re: How to divide one catalog into two?
                          Bob Somrak Level 5

Although I agree with DJ and Keith that one catalog is usually the best option, having both a personal and business catalog is an exception as it is easy to switch catalogs and keep thing separated.  If you like to work on both personal and business photos at the same time then one catalog is the way to go.

• 10. Re: How to divide one catalog into two?
                            dj_paige Level 9

Select the collection (either landscape or portrait), then in the filter bar select 3 star photos. It's really pretty simple