6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2015 12:46 PM by grits5

How do I get a basic shape tool (not live shape) in Photoshop CC 2014?

grits5 Level 1

I seldom use shape tools, but today I needed a rectangle. I clicked on the rectangle tool expecting what I'd used before. Instead I got a live shape, which I'm sure is useful when I have time to learn how to use it. Today I don't. For now I simply need the old basic shape tool to draw a rectangle in my canvas. How can I get to it?

• 1. Re: How do I get a basic shape tool (not live shape) in Photoshop CC 2014?
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Just click in the layer palette to target some other layer. Are you feeling better now. If you want to put life back into it target the shape layer.

When the shape is the target its alive it has properties in the Properties palette as well as in the tools option bar. Nothing like having some redundancy.

• 2. Re: How do I get a basic shape tool (not live shape) in Photoshop CC 2014?
            grits5 Level 1

Yes, when I click on another layer in the layer palette the properties for the live shape no longer show. I'd expect that to be the case. I don't see why that's relevant (which means I probably don't understand what you're saying).

But I previously could simply click and drag to create a rectangle. Took a second. No big deal. Now when I click, a create box appears and a live shape rectangle that has anywhere from 32,000 to 105,000 pixels to a side extends off the screen, and sometimes will take the numeric values I enter to try to rein it in, and sometimes won't. So I have to figure out what's going on when I need instead to stay focused on my project.

• 3. Re: How do I get a basic shape tool (not live shape) in Photoshop CC 2014?

grits5 wrote:

I previously could simply click and drag to create a rectangle. Took a second. No big deal.

You should still be able to do that!!!!

Now when I click, a create box appears and a live shape rectangle that has anywhere from 32,000 to 105,000 pixels to a side extends off the screen, and sometimes will take the numeric values I enter to try to rein it in, and sometimes won't. So I have to figure out what's going on when I need instead to stay focused on my project.

Yes when you left click, don't drag and the current tool is one of the shape tools other then the line shape tool. You get one of the ridiculous shape dialog.  So don't just click always also drag out the shape.

• 4. Re: How do I get a basic shape tool (not live shape) in Photoshop CC 2014?
                grits5 Level 1

Yes when you left click, don't drag and the current tool is one of the shape tools other then the line shape tool. You get one of the ridiculous shape dialog.  So don't just click always also drag out the shape.

When I open PS CC I create a new file, select the rectangle tool, and left click-drag to get a box of whatever size I drag.

When I open PS CC 2014 I create a new file, select the rectangle tool, and left click-drag. A few days ago that was creating a box of random size, anywhere from 32000 pixels to a side up to 100000 pixels per side and  placing it with the upper left corner in the middle of the screen. Today when I do it, it still creates a rectangle (105264 x 86400) but what shows on screen is coincident with and constrained by the size of the canvas. I thought perhaps since I had many things open, I was encountering peculiarities due to memory issues. However I closed most things, and the behavior did not change.

I'm wondering if there is a setting that I have different between the two versions?

• 5. Re: How do I get a basic shape tool (not live shape) in Photoshop CC 2014?

Try resetting your Photoshop CC 2014 Preferences and also reset all tools.  I do not have any problem like you with any of subscription versions of Photoshop CS6 13.1.2, CC 14.2.1 and CC 2014.2.2.

Capture.jpg

• 6. Re: How do I get a basic shape tool (not live shape) in Photoshop CC 2014?
                    grits5 Level 1

I wasn't too prompt due to other matters, but the advice was spot on when I could finally try it today! Everything now works as expected. Much appreciated!