3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2014 2:17 PM by dj_paige

Recovering lost photos from a backup

Greenalien Level 1

Hello

I can't seem to find some photos I was working on yesterday.

Loaded question I know, but can I find a copy of just that series of photos within the backup file? Or does a restore just overwrite the current catalog. With the backed up catalog.

Made some edits to the photo yesterday and made some test prints. Slept on it and decided to make some further changes to that photo today. Of course now I can't find that series. I am sure I did something that caused this, but don't know what or how I made this mistake. I don't really want to restore an entire catalog if that can be avoided.

- Can I restore just one group of photos from a backup file?

Thanks in advance for any help I can get!

Cheers,

Rob Brown

Brunswick, Me.

Top right corner of the US.

• 1. Re: Recovering lost photos from a backup
          dj_paige Level 9

but can I find a copy of just that series of photos within the backup file?

We don't know, it depends on how you made the backups. If the backup photos are found, you can use them, depending on the next item.

Made some edits to the photo yesterday and made some test prints. Slept on it and decided to make some further changes to that photo today. Of course now I can't find that series. I am sure I did something that caused this, but don't know what or how I made this mistake. I don't really want to restore an entire catalog if that can be avoided.

Let's take a step backwards. Have you searched your Lightroom catalog using the Lightroom search functions and not using your eyeballs? In other words, have you asked Lightroom to search every photo in the catalog for a specific file name that you were working on? You really ought to do that first before you even consider restoring backups.

So, you need to do all of these, in order

• Click on All Photographs in the Catalog Panel
          • Turn off filters (Ctrl-L or Cmd-L) once or twice
          • Expand all stacks, use Photo->Stacking->Expand All Stacks
          • Search for a specific photo by file name in the Filter Bar

- Can I restore just one group of photos from a backup file?

You keep talking about a backup file, is this the catalog file, or is it a FOLDER (not a file) of backups of your original photos? If it is a FOLDER (not a file) of backups of your original photos, then yes you could use that depending on the results of the search.

• 2. Re: Recovering lost photos from a backup
            Greenalien Level 1

but can I find a copy of just that series of photos within the backup file?

We don't know, it depends on how you made the backups. If the backup photos are found, you can use them, depending on the next item.

******************************************************************************************

The backups were made with Lightroom. It is set to backup each time it closes.

****************************************************************************************** *

Let's take a step backwards. Have you searched your Lightroom catalog using the Lightroom search functions and not using your eyeballs? In other words, have you asked Lightroom to search every photo in the catalog for a specific file name that you were working on? You really ought to do that first before you even consider restoring backups.

So, you need to do all of these, in order

• Click on All Photographs in the Catalog Panel
            • Turn off filters (Ctrl-L or Cmd-L) once or twice
            • Expand all stacks, use Photo->Stacking->Expand All Stacks
            • Search for a specific photo by file name in the Filter Bar

Yes I have used the unstacking/search function on all photos to no avail.

You keep talking about a backup file, is this the catalog file, or is it a FOLDER (not a file) of backups of your original photos? If it is a FOLDER (not a file) of backups of your original photos, then yes you could use that depending on the results of the search.

The backup creates a catalog file.

• 3. Re: Recovering lost photos from a backup
              dj_paige Level 9

If you have made a backup of the catalog file after you were working on the photos yesterday, then the photos should be in there, you would restore that backup catalog file and see if you can find it.

Make a copy of the backup catalog file, put it somewhere, and then double-click on it. See if the photos can be found.