Adobe AIR Beta Channel Update
This beta release provides access to the latest AIR SDK for Windows, Mac OS, iOS and Android. You can download the AIR beta here: Download Adobe AIR 16 Beta - Adobe Labs
Below are some of the key features and benefits of AIR 16. Please see our release notes for full details.
- iOS 64-bit Support
As many of you are aware, Apple has recently changed their iOS requirements to enforce 64-bit compatibility. We’re pleased to share that the AIR 16 SDK can now be used to generate universal IPA binaries, which will run on both 32bit and 64bit iOS devices. Going forward, every IPA generated using AIR SDK 16 and above will be a universal binary and there is no change required in the packaging commands for this support.
Support for creating universal IPA binaries is currently only available on the Mac version of the AIR SDK. We’re working on adding this support to the Windows AIR SDK soon, please stay tuned.
Please note that support for creating universal IPA binaries will only be available in the new compiler. The legacy compiler is not (and will not be) compatible with iOS 64-bit. Because of this, it will be removed with version 16 of the AIR SDK. To ensure that Adobe as well as third party tools are able to work with this AIR SDK, the -useLegacyAOT option will continue to exist, but will be internally mapped to the new compiler.
To learn more about the improved packaging engine, please read Faster Compiling with AIR for iOS
If you encounter packaging or runtime issues, please report them to us over at http://bugbase.adobe.com or create a post on our AIR beta forums. Please provide detailed steps to reproduce along with sample projects. If you'd like to keep your code private, please feel free to email attachments along with your bug number to email@example.com. Your help and assistance is critical and will allow us to fix problems quickly
- Stage3D Wireframe Mode Support
To help designers and developers create robust and efficient 3D content, we've added Wireframe support into AIR desktop. This option can be changed by setting Context3D's setFillMode() to "wireframe" or "solid".
- Stage3D - Standard Constrained Profile
In version 14 of the Runtime we added the new Standard profile to desktop systems. In Version 15 we expanded that to mobile devices in AIR. In Flash Player 16 we've added a new Standard Constrained profile. Like Baseline Constrained, Standard Constrained targets older and lower powered GPUs on both desktop and mobile devices. While Standard profile reached ~21% of iOS devices, Standard Constrained can now reach more than 85%. Developers can access this by using the new STANDARD_CONSTRAINED constant in Context3DProfile. The chart below breaks down the differences between the different profiles that are available.
- On playing mp3 on 64bit devices, sound will come in a distorted manner. (3849929)
- Multiple security and stability issues
- VideoTexture support has been temporarily removed from the beta. We discovered last minute bugs that effected core code that was shared with Flash Player and impacted video related websites. Once we fully address these bugs we'll be adding this feature back into AIR. We apologize for this inconvenience!
- [iOS Simulator] Packaging fails with "ld64" error. (3883686)
- [Android L] On using Flash Text Engine (FTE) Arabic, Hebrew, Korean, Bengali and thai characters are getting displayed as boxes. (3787500)
- [iPhone 6 Plus] iPad Launch image is getting displayed in standard display mode (3836781)
About the Beta Channel
If you would like real-time notification for announcements related to the AIR Beta Channel please follow the Flash Runtime Announcements forums by choosing "Follow this forum" from the right-hand menu on the Forums page.
You can find instructions for getting started with this release here: AIR Labs Page