2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2014 12:10 AM by Migintosh

InDesign printing to PDF results in white "highlight" effect behind PLAIN black text.

todonlith

InDesign printing to PDF booklet spreads results in white "highlight" effect behind PLAIN black text. There are no text effects like drop shadows or transparency. Some of the text is in it's own shape above a semi-transparent shape, but not all.

Exporting to PDF does not cause this problem, just printing to pdf. I cannot use the exported pdf as I need the full booklet spreads. Help!highlighted text.JPG

• 1. Re: InDesign printing to PDF results in white "highlight" effect behind PLAIN black text.
          vinny38 Level 4

Hi!

Printing to PDF is usually not the best way.

Exporting is much more "academic"...

You can export pages using spreads (General options > pages), so I don't really understand why it is a problem to export your doc...

• 2. Re: InDesign printing to PDF results in white "highlight" effect behind PLAIN black text.
            Migintosh Level 4

In addition to vinny38's advise to not print to PDF, you may not even need printer's spreads, unless you are printing this yourself. If you are sending this off press, the prepress team will want to do the imposition themselves. If you are printing to a network copier, some have the ability to do booklet printing from a multi-page PDF saved in single-page reader's spreads (one page for each page of the document, rather than two document pages for each PDF page).

If you do need to print this yourself and if you have to impose it in InDesign, consider making a new document and placing the pages of your original document onto the pages of the new document, the way you would place any other images. You can decide where the pages have to go in order to get printer's spreads, and when you're done imposing, export as a PDF and print that PDF to your printer. You will get a better-quality PDF than printing to PDF.