7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2014 6:18 PM by A.T. Romano

I can't change the pan / zoom duration in Premiere Elements 13

fourwhitesocks Level 1

Ok I'm getting really frustrated especially after I just watched a video tutorial which clearly shows how to do this in Premiere Elements 10 and I have JUST purchased version 13!

What I'm not able to adjust is the speed or duration between focus frames in a pan / zoom; after it's set up.

You are supposed to be able to go into the PAN TOOL, and either click on the pan duration, or in the In the Pan Time dialog, scrub the time duration to the desired value, or enter a value in the dialog box, OR simply adjust / drag the focus frame markers in the timeline (like in the video tutorial I watched...) to change the pan duration.  In my software at least NONE of these work.  (All these from:  Adobe Premiere Elements Help | Pan and zoom to create video-like effect)

I can't click on the pan duration, well if I do nothing happens, I can't even get a Pan Time Dialog box; so I can't do it that way; and lastly I can't click and adjust the focus frame markers in the timeline....none of it works and I can hardly believe that this is correct...the only way that I can adjust the pan time, is to delete the effect completely and start it over...this can't be correct can it??

Any help would be appreciated!!!

• 1. Re: I can't change the pan / zoom duration in Premiere Elements 13
          A.T. Romano Level 7

fourwhitesocks

Pan and Zoom is essentially the same in 11, 12, 13 and have similar Pan and Zoom workspaces - so

To what are you applying the pan and zoom effect - still or video?

Please review again....

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/using/pan-zoom-create-video-like.html

If specifically video, have you read

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2014/08/pe12121-pan-and-zoom-tool-and-video-file.html

There are some differences between pan and zoom effect applied to video as opposed to still. Let us see

if we can explain your issues in terms of those differences.

After you read through the blog details on this, we can go step by step through the pan and zoom effect for video described in the blog if necessary.

ATR

• 2. Re: I can't change the pan / zoom duration in Premiere Elements 13
            fourwhitesocks Level 1

Ok yep you are great, so I'm sorry I'm attempting to do it on video clips, not stills. 

I was aware that the last versions of PE had similar Pan and Zoom workspaces, that's why I knew or thought I knew that my situation could be solved.

The first link that you recommend is exactly where I got the third paragraph of my question, so I had already reviewed that and to me when you read the directive it still makes it sound like you can adjust the focus frame markers....?  (very confusing)

The second link you sent might have helped me realize that the tool doesn't work the same way for Stills and it does for Video clips; (I really think like on the Adobe web site this difference should be markedly more clear to help with confusion; but in their defense maybe it's me being slow to understand)

I was able to figure out some of the difference through perseverance last night, and did figure out (like your last link explains) that you can move the CTI and then add a new focus frame...BUT I still have my original question...how can you adjust the pan duration on a video clip after it's been made and you have left the pan and zoom tool like if you want to edit that timing... I think the answer is that you can't lol, I think it has to be deleted or a new focus frame added and the other deleted to adjust the timing...am I correct?

This quote is taken from the Adobe web site one of the links you shared 

You can work with focus frames in videos the same way that you work with focus frames for images. However, only those options that are relevant to movie clips appear in the pan and zoom tool.

I think maybe the last sentence is attempting to explain that but it's just so ambiguous...

Just trying to figure it out!  I do appreciate your help! 

• 3. Re: I can't change the pan / zoom duration in Premiere Elements 13
              A.T. Romano Level 7

fourwhitesocks

You wrote

.BUT I still have my original question...how can you adjust the pan duration on a video clip after it's been made and you have left the pan and zoom tool like if you want to edit that timing... I think the answer is that you can't

The video counterpart of the still "pan" cannot be adjusted in settings or by clicking on the "pan" number on screen. That has already been mentioned in the blog. Here is my take on that.

Referring now to the Pan and Time workspace...

The video counterpart is explained in my blog. So please review that in context with what I am about to suggest.

You have to move the Timeline Indicator from frame to frame of the video to establish a focus frame at the appropriate frame. And, each time you do that a gray marker is placed on the Timeline. The duration between each focus frame will vary according how far along the video you created the next focus frame. That duration between two focus frames would be the "pan" value that you see on screen in the middle of the focus frame displaying for the video source.

I had hoped that one could move the gray tab generated by focus frame in order to change the "pan" value, moving the gray tab closer or further way from the previous gray tab. I could not get that to work.

So, until I find an alternate solution....

click on the focus frame that is to close or too far way from the previous focus...on screen click on the X in its focus frame to get rid of it....place the Timeline Indicator at the distance that you want from the previous focus frame...click on New Frame to generate a new Focus Frame at that frame location. All that would be consistent with the direction that you mentioned.

I am still thinking about this one at the gray tab level. But so far those gray tabs will not move for me.

ATR

• 4. Re: I can't change the pan / zoom duration in Premiere Elements 13
                fourwhitesocks Level 1

Ok wow, you are the best, I think I do understand!!!

• 5. Re: I can't change the pan / zoom duration in Premiere Elements 13
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

fourwhitesocks

In my prior post in your thread I wrote

Referring now to the Pan and Time workspace.

That should have been Pan and Zoom workspace.

I will see if I can find any answers on this other than what has been mentioned already.

If you get into a must do situation, you might want to consider keyframing for the pan and zoom effect with Motion Panel expanded's Scale (for Zoom) and Position (for pan). Have you looked at the pan zoom Presets in fx Effects. But, remember there you can do a pan or zoom and not pan and zoom.

ATR..

• 6. Re: I can't change the pan / zoom duration in Premiere Elements 13
                    fourwhitesocks Level 1

Ok thank you for that...guess I don't understand what you said about: 

If you get into a must do situation, you might want to consider keyframing for the pan and zoom effect with Motion Panel expanded's Scale (for Zoom) and Position (for pan). Have you looked at the pan zoom Presets in fx Effects.

Wow I would like to learn that or understand that, maybe it would help me!

• 7. Re: I can't change the pan / zoom duration in Premiere Elements 13
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

fourwhitesocks

Rough idea...

1. Open Premiere Elements 13 to the Expert workspace and import your video to Video Track 1/Audio Track 1.

2. Select/Highlight the Video Track 1/Audio Track 1 content. Set how you want the file to present at 0 time, the beginning of the Timeline.

Then go to Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel expanded and click on the Toggle Animation button. That will set the

keyframes for zero time.

3. What follow is...

a. Move the Timeline Indicator from left to right to a new position, then change the Scale (for Zoom) value and/or Position (for Pan) values in Motion Panel expanded. That will set the next set of keyframes. (You can also do these changes in the Edit area monitor by clicking on the monitor to bring up the images bounding box and then using the bounding box handles.

b. Move the Timeline Indicator from left to right to the next position, then change the Scale and/or Position. That will set the next set of keyframes.

And so on.

When you go this route, you will need to plan ahead and give yourself enough room to maneuver the pans so that you do not pan the image off the screen. Some zoom ins may be necessary beforehand.

Have you tried the pan or zoom Presets under fx Effects?

ATR