5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2014 9:39 AM by dj_paige

Poor Lightroom 5.7 Performance when using part repair tool

TorstenK.

Hi Lightroom pros,

I'm using Lightroom 5.7 for about half a year and are very happy with it. Unless I'm working on photos where I have to use the part repairt tool to much.

I'm specialized in car photograpy and often have to remove dust from the cars paint work and chrome. When I have to work on hughe areas Lightroom becomes slower and slower. I read that the repair tool costs a lot of performance but I'm wondering if I could optimize something or if there is a workaround for that? Because right now its not usable doing one click and waiting 2 minutes...

I'm using the newest Lightroom 64-bit version on a Windows 8.1 Enterprise 64-bit Laptop with an internal SSD drive. LR is installed on that drive and the Catalogue also is stored there. I have 70 GB of free space on that drive, my catalogue is around 5 GB, my Camera Raw Cache Size is 20 GB.

The machine has 16 GB of RAM and an Intel Core i7 3 GHz Quadcore processor. My RAW files are stored on an external USB 3.0 Drive (not SSD).

When working on that kind of picutres I usually close as much programms as possible, so that most of the time LR is the only working desktop programm. What seems strange to me is, that even if I'm waiting for minutes for LR to answer, that my processor and RAM are only using about 40% of it's power. The rest seems not to be used by LR?!

I would be really thankful for tipps or ideas how to improve that issue because right now I'm really wasting a lot of time.

Kind regards

Torsten

• 1. Re: Poor Lightroom 5.7 Performance when using part repair tool
          dj_paige Level 9

Large usage of this tool causing slowdowns is a known deficiency of Lightroom, and I don't think there is a workaround given the way Lightroom is designed.

If you have to do a lot of these types of edits, you are better off doing this in a true pixel editor like Photoshop.

• 2. Re: Poor Lightroom 5.7 Performance when using part repair tool
            TorstenK. Level 1

I was afraid that this will be the answer... :'o(

Unfortunately by budget currently doesn't allow me a Photoshop solution. And I'm afraid PS Elements won't work without quality decrease of the pictures, right?

And by the way I also really don't like the new subscription model for PS...

But thanks for your answer anyway!

• 3. Re: Poor Lightroom 5.7 Performance when using part repair tool
              dj_paige Level 9

And I'm afraid PS Elements won't work without quality decrease of the pictures, right?

I guess this depends on what you are doing, what type of original files you are using, and your own perception of quality. I would believe that in most cases, if you do all the editing in LR except for the spot removal, get the photo to appear the way you want (except for the spot removal), and then lastly move it to PSE and remove the spots, that there isn't really any noticeable loss of quality.

And by the way I also really don't like the new subscription model for PS...

So, you should tell Adobe this, not me. This is a forum for users (like me) to help other users (like you).

• 4. Re: Poor Lightroom 5.7 Performance when using part repair tool
                TorstenK. Level 1

I guess this depends on what you are doing, what type of original files you are using, and your own perception of quality. I would believe that in most cases, if you do all the editing in LR except for the spot removal, get the photo to appear the way you want (except for the spot removal), and then lastly move it to PSE and remove the spots, that there isn't really any noticeable loss of quality.

I must admit I'm not a pro concerning color managment. But I already downloaded the PSE testversion and realized that it is not capable to deal with 16-bit color depth. Wouldn't that be noticeable after the finale spot removal step?

So, you should tell Adobe this, not me. This is a forum for users (like me) to help other users (like you).

I know. I just wanted to emphasize why switching to PS wouldn't be the perfect solution for me (even if I'm considering it).

Thanks so far!

• 5. Re: Poor Lightroom 5.7 Performance when using part repair tool
                  dj_paige Level 9

I don't think spot removal needs 16 bit color depth, I think you couldn't tell the difference between spot removal at 16 bit and spot removal at 8 bit, but I haven't really seen an example. Having 16 bits is useful to recover details from highlights and shadows, and that's not what you're doing.