4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2014 9:49 AM by Dynamitetalks

How long will it take to make decent-good commercial 2 min video clips of product presentations

Dynamitetalks

Hi.

I've been working with 3d modeling and rendering now for a year and can do good work in CAD software.

I would like to take this a step further and be able next year to make 2 min advertisement video clips of products I've modeled and rendered.

I can use photoshop on a beginner level for product visualization and is starting to spend more of my time becoming better in PS.

In order to make 2 min clips for commercial use for visualize and present my products with an assemble animation of it like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFJPNBg0y0w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UF7Tf5twx4

How long will it take to become good at and be able to make decent - good work?

Thanks,

Best regards

- Dynamitetalks

• 1. Re: How long will it take to make decent-good commercial 2 min video clips of product presentations
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

Ask yourself this: how long do you think it would take for you to pull off photorealistic 3D animation?  Because that's what you're looking at in those two examples. 

AE simply added a couple of glows and some text animation.

• 2. Re: How long will it take to make decent-good commercial 2 min video clips of product presentations
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That is a very loaded question. From concept to completion I have had product visualization projects take from a half a day to six months. It depends entirely on the project. How long it takes you to get good depends on how fast you learn and your artistic ability. I have taught people that have been producing poor quality films for many years and they don't get much better after a high intensity bootcamp. I've taught others that were just starting out that went from how to I trim a video clip to simply amazing work in a weekend. On average I would say that the average beginning student needs about 40 hours of focused productive training to get a good handle the software and the basic concepts of editing and compositing. Once you understand the concepts and how editing, sound, composition, movement, and color tell a story it takes a lot of practice to get really good at it. I have not seen any really good visual effects artists or editors that have not followed the 10,000 hour rule. To become truly proficient at any task you need to spend about 10,000 hours working on your skill. That doesn't mean 10,000 hours sitting in front of a computer, that means 10,000 hours learning how to tell an effective visual story.

• 3. Re: How long will it take to make decent-good commercial 2 min video clips of product presentations
              Dynamitetalks Level 1

Thank you for your answer, it was really good.
              I'm not a quick learner, I need time to proceed all the information I gather, but I'm really a hard and consistent learner and is self taught from tutorial in my spare time, my goal is to keep working on enhancing my software and artistic skills for the next 4 years until I'm done with University. 

So I have the time to learn it and become good over a longer period.

My artistic talent is not any special, but I'm good at visualizing things and has a great spatial understanding, So I could see myself being good at telling a visual story. I think I'll try to put in the hours for the next few month and see where it gets me, if I can understand the interface after 40 hours, I should be able to get a better understanding of how long it will take me to be able to do decent work after the first 2 month. .

Thank you again

• 4. Re: How long will it take to make decent-good commercial 2 min video clips of product presentations
                Dynamitetalks Level 1

Thank you for your answer, this sets it in perspective for what after effect did in the first video, I've only done simple animations with exploded views, I guess I now should look into making better visualizations and compositions of the products, this might be were my time should be spend mostly before I proceed to working in after effect, so in the mean time I try to learn the interface of AE, I will try to enhance my skills in animations views.

Thank you again.