11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2016 7:34 AM by Lapin Routa

Using Typekit fonts offline?

adieu Level 1

New here. I spend a great deal of time working offline in InDesign, as well as Illustrator and Photoshop. However, when offline, Typekit fonts that I have synced do not appear in the font lists of those programs and must be replaced in the documents that I am working in order to proceed. It's very frustrating. Does anyone know if it is possible to get around this? If not, I will have to stop using Typekit fonts.

• 1. Re: Using Typekit fonts offline?
          Ben, Typekit Support Adobe Employee

Hi Jim,

I'm sorry you ran into trouble here. Typekit fonts should work offline. You just need to make sure you're signed into the Creative Cloud app and your fonts are synced before you go offline.

When you sign out of the CC app, the fonts are unsynced so you just need to sign in and sync before going offline.

I hope this solves the issue. If not, feel free to drop us a line at: support@typekit.com.

Cheers,

Benjamin

• 2. Re: Using Typekit fonts offline?
            adieu Level 1

Thanks Benjamin,

I admit I am confused. I have never actually signed out of the CC app, though perhaps quitting it and turning off the computer is the same thing.

After I read your reply I shut off my Internet connection and closed InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop. Then relaunched the apps and Typekit showed up in my font lists. I'm not sure what I've done previously to make the fonts not appear while I was away, but I will try to not do it anymore.

Cheers, Jim

• 3. Re: Using Typekit fonts offline?
              Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You should normally never have to quit the CC application. Just shut down your computer, and the CC app will reopen automatically when you turn it on again. If you do need to quit the CC app, do so when you have an internet connection.

• 4. Re: Using Typekit fonts offline?
                Bduruman Level 1

Hi Benjamin.

I am Signed in, Never Sign Off, But You guys MUST find a way if this service is here to be used as it should be working or?; it shall then be used and not trying out some tricks  to keep those fonts we all are using which is a service made possible for the CC users.

If this is not the case we have to log in log out try some what ways to get that thing work then just get rid of that Service! we have Jobs to do and not pushing EXTRA buttons to get things work.

I and Many other Users Are Tired of incomplete services offered and we all are facing Side effects which are holding us from our Work to be done.

• 5. Re: Using Typekit fonts offline?
                  SRAM Chris Level 1

In addition to the OP, the CC application "unsycs" the fonts when it is updating, or as is happening right now, trying to update but is failing. I need to restart the computer just to finish the CC update. It would be nice if the fonts would stay synced during the update process. Or maybe they check in every few days to confirm subscription status?

• 6. Re: Using Typekit fonts offline?
                    Mr. Met Level 3

Typekit is useless. If it isn't on my HD and I can't manage with FAP or any other font management app. I want them on the HD so I can activate and deactivate as needed. I don't want 100 permanently active typekit fonts in my font list. It's bad enough with all the useless fonts Apple has that are always in my lists.

• 7. Re: Using Typekit fonts offline?
                      Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@Mr. Met,

Many people agree with you, or some companies don't allow access to Typekit. You can also purchase the fonts you need with a perpetual license if you don't have the ones you need. More power to you!

But for the great majority people I run into in my teaching are really pleased to have access to a lot of fonts they couldn't use otherwise. Just understand that you're probably in a minority position here.

• 8. Re: Using Typekit fonts offline?
                        BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I agree with Steve. Typekit is far from perfect but it's a damn sight better than spending thousands of dollars on fonts.

And you can most certainly manage them with Suitcase Fusion.

typekit.png

• 9. Re: Using Typekit fonts offline?
                          Mr. Met Level 3

You're probably right. Maybe it's because I can't manage them or haven't learned how yet. But seeing Levine's post (thanks for the heads up), I have to do a bit more research on FAP. Font bloat is a huge problem when you're trying to work efficiently.

As an aside, I'm surprised Adobe hasn't revived ATM which was the first font manager I can recall.

• 10. Re: Using Typekit fonts offline?
                            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

There's really no sense in them trying to compete in that arena. That's why they left in the first place.

• 11. Re: Using Typekit fonts offline?
                              Lapin Routa Level 1

2016-11-07.png

Here's comparasion between Word document and printed pdf. This is bull***t and I don't have time to fight with this. The whole Font-archive it is a marketing joke which works only between designer and print.