4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2014 3:33 PM by Bob Somrak

LR4 export to Elements 13 plugin.

stlcop13

I have LR4 and just purchased & installed Elements 13.  I also have Photomatix Pro.  When I want I can export a photo from LR4 to Photomatix Pro, edit the photo in Photomatix Pro and when I'm done it reimports the photo back into LR$.  I would like to do the same for LR$ to Elements 13.  Where is the plugin for exporting a photo from LR4 to Elements 13?  I have a PC with windows 7.  Any help or guidance is appreciated.

Jay

• 1. Re: LR4 export to Elements 13 plugin.
          Bob Somrak Level 5

There is no PLUGIN.  Just set Elements 13 up as an external editor under Preferences.  

Can't set Photoshop Elements as primary external editor

• 2. Re: LR4 export to Elements 13 plugin.
            stlcop13 Level 1

OK this helps somewhat. I guess where I use to go  File>Plug-in Extras>Export to Photomatix Pro or Merge to 32 bit HDR or Perfect Effects 8 now go to Photo>Edit In>Photoshop Elements Editor.  BUT........when I do/did this and tried to edit the photo in Elements it would not let me and a window popped up stating. "Could not perform the requested action because Photoshop Elements provides only limited support for files with 16 bit color depth. Do you want to convert the image to 8 bit?"  Is this normal?  Should I chose "Convert Depth?"

I can also chose Photo>Edit In>Open as Smart Object in Photoshop

Is one way better than the other or are the both the same?

Thanks in advance,

Jay

• 3. Re: LR4 export to Elements 13 plugin.
              stlcop13 Level 1

Well I tried Photo>Edit In>Open as Smart Object in Photoshop then Elements opened and a window in Lightroom popped up stating, "The file could not be edited because Adobe Photoshop Elements Editor could not be launched.  ????

• 4. Re: LR4 export to Elements 13 plugin.
                Bob Somrak Level 5

You probabably DON'T have Photoshop (just Photoshop Elements) so the Smart Object edit in won't work.

You can open the file is Photoshop Elements as 16 bit but Elements only has a SMALL subset of tool that work with 16 bit. Editing 8 bit in Elements gives great results as far as I am concerned although I only take about 2 percent of my photos to elements, mostly for heavy duty cloning.  If you want full 16 bit editing you need the full Photoshop.   In that case, the Creative Cloud option at 10 bucks a month is the way to go.