5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2015 2:08 PM by JFPhoton

M.2 Samsung Drive For Boot?

alexdejesus Level 1

Has it been determined what is the best use of this drive on an X99 2011 v3 system? I currently have only cache and previews, and testing it as a source drive for some ingested footage but I notice some are using it as a boot system drive. If a boot drive, should I have page file and previews on it as well? I have other SSDs installed as well as an Areca 1883x Raid controller with 5 Hdds attached for my main storage.

• 1. Re: M.2 Samsung Drive For Boot?
          JFPhoton Level 3

Alex,

I have read that the M.2 drive has a read/write speed of over 1 GB per second, ( which is TWICE the SATA III SSD speed), AND, because it is a direct connection to the high speed PCI Gen. 3 lanes, it eliminates the "half-duplex" nature of the SATA III interface, which does not allow reading while writing and vice versa. All this means even lower latency using that drive. If the M.2 drive is used for the OS, programs and Windows page file only, the system may run even "snappier" PLUS the many constant small "read and writes" to the Windows page file will be handled even faster. That drive is so fast that you could also have all previews and cache files assigned there as well...provided its capacity is large enough...with no loss in performance...maybe even a gain.  All else can now be placed on the SSD RAID array. You could experiment assigning the previews and all caches files to that SSD RAID array, along with all your media and project files, to see if there is any performance difference. As each separate volume, ( the M.2 and the RAID) array would now be over 1GB/ sec. EACH in transfer speed....there may be no noticeable difference in performance, as everything is ALREADY running at a high speed and balanced.  With the Areca's ability to provide even FASTER speeds by adding more SSDs, it would seem to make sense to just put EVERYTHING on the RAID array, except the OS,programs, and page file, which would go on the M.2......especially if you were to heavily tax your machine.

I am sure that running the PPBM7 benchmark test would show any performance difference....you can compare your machine's results there with others to get an idea of how it is performing with PPro.

• 2. Re: M.2 Samsung Drive For Boot?
            alexdejesus Level 1

Exactly. You just confirmed everything I was thinking

• 3. Re: M.2 Samsung Drive For Boot?
              alexdejesus Level 1

unfortunately, I am stilll unable to make a boot drive out of the M.2. Even with help from ASUS.  They finally admitted that it can be done, but something is getting lost in translation. I'm starting to wonder if it's worth it after all. Is cache and preview the best use of this fast drive, otherwise?

• 4. Re: M.2 Samsung Drive For Boot?
                JFPhoton Level 3

The Samsung SM 951 was just announced three days ago....however, it still is not generally available to the public...it is being kept for OEMs to put in newer machines. There IS a way to boot to it.....but, it may require an additional driver of some sort PLUS the most recent version of your MOBOs BIOS installed. Keep researching on the internet....it would be a shame to just use it for a cache/preview drive. It would be best to have ALL drive volumes in your system running over 1 GB/sec if possible.

• 5. Re: M.2 Samsung Drive For Boot?
                  JFPhoton Level 3

Alex....I found the following info mentioned in a September 2014 review of the XP941 by Anandtech :

As I mentioned in the original XP941 review, the SSD is not bootable on most motherboards. The drive does not have legacy BIOS drivers that load before the BIOS (like the RevoDrive 350 has), so it requires specific BIOS/UEFI code to be bootable. Fortunately the situation has improved since May and in addition to the ASRock Z97 Extreme6, most of ASUS' Z97 motherboards support booting from the XP941. RamCity has a good blog post about the supported motherboards and laptops, including some links to instructions in case the XP941 is not bootable by default. Furthermore, the XP941 is still bootable on a Mac Pro (except for the 2013 model) as we discovered in our original review.