4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2015 12:15 PM by Silkrooster

How 2 change image file name including its .xmp?

pintree3 Level 1

How 2 change image file name including its .xmp?

I assume if I change an image file name, the '.xmp' file that goes with it will no longer have a proper reference to associate with. I also assume I can't simply just change the image file name and then give its .xmp the same name. Meaning for example if I have:

''This1stPhotoOfJane.dng'' and ''This1stPhotoOfJane.xmp''

and change their names manually to:

''JanePhoto1.dng'' and 'JanePhoto1.xmp''

It would not work.

So is the a simple way to do so?

I have a bunch of files which I forgot to name which have already gone through the raw editor and now I would like to give them an actual name as opposed to a lone series of numbers which they presently have.

• 1. Re: How 2 change image file name including its .xmp?
          Silkrooster Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You should be able to with bridge, since by default the side car file is hidden. I would think it knows enough to rename both.

Copy the image and the sidecar file to a temporary folder, rename it and verify that it had indeed done so. If I recall copying or movie a raw file would also move or copy the sidecar file, so this would be a good time to verify that as well.

• 2. Re: How 2 change image file name including its .xmp?
            pintree3 Level 1

What happened to me who asked this question? Did your (Silkrooster) answer solve the problem or not?

Yes. I apologize Silkrooster for not letting you know.

This is what happens. In my case the raw file is a Nikon NEF file. When I work on the image and then save it I do so to a dng file. Hence I now have both NEF and DNG extensions with the same name.

I did what Silkrooster suggested AND if you change the dng file name nothing happens to the xmp. However, if you change the NEF file name, then automatically the xmp file changes name as well. SO yes SIlkrooster your solution is correct BUT if like me then do remember to change the name of both files

Thanks buddy

• 3. Re: How 2 change image file name including its .xmp?
              pintree3 Level 1

I don't know if I should ask/mention this here but I feel it is related and perhaps important to add it.

I just found out that a DNG file already has meta data imprinted in it and therefore does not use or need an xmp file. Is this correct? Because, if so, then it further explains the above points being made:

Why the ENF raw file will do so automatically (there is a direct association)

and

Why the DNG won't (It does not need an xmp or use it).

But someone more knowledgeable than me would have to confirm this.

• 4. Re: How 2 change image file name including its .xmp?
                Silkrooster Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That's correct, the dng file does not need the sidecar file because the metadata is embedded into the dng file.

The sidecar file is only needed for the raw file, because you can not directly write to the raw file.