6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2015 12:54 PM by Zac Lam

Cineform and Premiere 8.2... crashing....

vanlazarus2013 Level 1

Anyone else getting frequent crashes with Cineform media on the timeline?  I just upgraded to Premiere 8.2 in hopes that it solved the UI sluggishness for me... which it didn't.  A new feature with the update seems to be Premiere crashing almost immediately when I preview Cineform media I rendered as intermediate files for my project.  I might be forced to find another intermediate format.  I've had problems with Cineform in the past within Premiere, so this doesn't surprise.  Are others experiencing this?

• 1. Re: Cineform and Premiere 8.2... crashing....
          Mark Mapes Adobe Employee

This is the first I recall hearing of any CineForm-related crashes. Do you have any 3rd-party codec packs installed--CineForm or otherwise?

• 2. Re: Cineform and Premiere 8.2... crashing....
            vanlazarus2013 Level 1

There was a previous issue with CineForm where I had to delete some cached files of some kind or Premiere suffered.... Can't remember the details.  I've also had issues with CineForm within Sony Vegas a number of times.

Anyways... I have the latest Shark007 codec pack installed and I own the GoProStudioPremium (CineForm)... Which is installed.

• 3. Re: Cineform and Premiere 8.2... crashing....
              Brad12d3 Level 1

I am also having this issue. Just scrubbing the timeline with Cineform footage crashes PPro immediately. Happens repeatedly. All drivers and software is up to date.

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz

RAM: 32706MB

GPU Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation

GPU: GeForce GTX 780 Ti/PCIe/SSE2

GPU Driver: 9.18.13.4475

GPU RAM: 3072MB

GPU Code: 0

CL0: GeForce GTX 780 Ti (100.0%)

• 4. Re: Cineform and Premiere 8.2... crashing....
                Brad12d3 Level 1

So it appears it might be a conflict with the Mercury Playback Engine. Just switched it from GPU to software and that seems to have solved the problem.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Cineform and Premiere 8.2... crashing....
                  lukaszbanach Level 1

I have this problem too. Turning off the GPU is not the answer - I need GPU to full-time editing, 8.1 worked perfectly with GPU...

My problem details:

It is after cineform support added in 2014.2. Especially when GPU mercury acceleration is on. The problem is not present in previous versions. But I am working on a feature film and all timelines are done in 2014.2 already.

How to reproduce:

Please create a single frame and encode it as cineform avi with resolution 320x200 - in after effects, for example. Run recent Premiere (2014.2), put the clip on timeline, drag a playhead on it for a while and then click windows Start button. Crash.

If you dont want to create cineform or you can't encode, I can email you this tiny cineform avi, it is 15kbytes only, just send a private message.

I've tried with other formats, there is no problem. I've tested various lengths and resolutions of cineform clips, until I realized that even single frame video (15 kb in size) crashes premiere. And memory usage is terrible even with such a small video it takes gigabytes while moving playhead.

My system specs:

Windows 7

intel i73930k, 48gb ram, 2x nvidia gtx 780 gpu's,

5x samsung ssd 250gb.

Two monitors (1080p and 2160p)

windows log on error:

Faulting application name: Adobe Premiere Pro.exe, version: 8.2.0.65, time stamp: 0x5486db4a

Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.17725, time stamp: 0x4ec4aa8e

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0000000000052fc6

Faulting process id: 0x26ac

Faulting application start time: 0x01d09884e8c2df85

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2014\Adobe Premiere Pro.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll

Report Id: 53b5a5d3-0478-11e5-bb79-08606e7f6982

• 6. Re: Cineform and Premiere 8.2... crashing....
                    Zac Lam Adobe Employee

Sounds like you already have a handle on the issue here, but I wanted to follow up for the benefit of any who may come across this thread through a forum search. We spoke about this with GoPro/Cineform recently and they posted an official techdoc on this issue:

https://cineform.zendesk.com/entries/81432579-Premiere-Pro-CC-2014-2015-crashes-when-using -CineForm-AVI-files-in-a-project-with-Mercury-Playback-E