8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2014 6:10 PM by Bill Gehrke

EVGA Precision X 16 tuning guide

Alexander Eberhard Level 1

I am running the EVGA GTX 970 Ftw Acx 2.0 and would like to maximize performance using Precisions latest version.

So far I have been tweaking around on the for main sliders with having OC Scanner running besides to check stability and benchmark results.

I'd like to know how power target, gpu and mem clock Offset need to be balanced. Also do i have to increase voltage to a specific level in order to keep the card performing correctly.

How is your experience and workflow for OC? I know that every card works on different settings but I would be glad a about any feedback.

Thanks in advance.

Alex

• 1. Re: EVGA Precision X 16 tuning guide
          Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

I have been unable to enhance my GTX 970.  I cannot even get it to do the CUDA hardware acceleration at the rated memory speed (rated  by nVidia at 7.0 Gbps also called 3505 MHz in this EVGA  NV-Z tool, and also called 1750MHz in GPU-Z).  Notice this has the GPU at 99% usage which in the red figure Mem-max is 3505 MHz but the board is running at 3004 MHz in the green numbers.

I have many EVGA boards and never seen this locking of the memory clock.  I have never found much except the memory clock which increases the CUDA GPU accelerated processing.

GPU-GTX-970-EVGA-NV.jpg

• 2. Re: EVGA Precision X 16 tuning guide

Hmm that weird. Meaning you have trouble overclocking? Do you run that card on laptop or desktop pc?

Did you try percision? How do you proceed?

My card runs stabile at +190mhz GPU clock offset. Haven't tried any further yet.

What roll does extra voltage play?

• 3. Re: EVGA Precision X 16 tuning guide

AlexauGo wrote:

Hmm that weird. Meaning you have trouble overclocking?

1. Do you run that card on laptop or desktop pc?

2. Did you try percision?

3. How do you proceed?

My card runs stabile at +190mhz GPU clock offset. Haven't tried any further yet.

4. What roll does extra voltage play?

1. Well the GTX 970 is only a Desktop card, If it is a laptop it would have an "M" after the model number.
              2. PrcisionX 16 is the only tool I have used.
              3. Simply adjust the Memory clock and apply.
              4. I have not found voltages to help much but will admit that since in my whole stack of GPU cards it has been so easy in the past to get noticable memory overclocking and they correlate to the improvement in PPBM benchmarks  that I may not have tried all combinations.  I have a laptop that the factory defaut is set to 2000 MHz In the in the EVGA tool above and it overclocks beautifully to 3000 MHZ!  Of course the laptops are designed around battery life so it is easy push these devices since all my laptop editing is done with AC power to the laptop.
              • 4. Re: EVGA Precision X 16 tuning guide
                JFPhoton Level 3

The info below was posted by me on another thread about the 970. Changing voltage is the one area that you must be careful about, from what I have read.  See the link to the table which describes overclocking results for the 970. There appears to be more than a few sites regarding overclocking GPU's....mostly gamers... but, the info can help us !

Some users are reporting different overclocking results over at Tom's hardware for the 970, and issues regarding heat on Asus GPUs vs. the other manufacturers. Many claim around 1500Mhz for GPU clock and 1800 to 2000 for memory clock. This puzzles me ,as on my G750jw laptop using MSI Afterburner, I have the GPU core clock at 930 Mhz and the memory clock at 3000Mhz stable as a ROCK with low temps...around 63C during HEAVY GAMING pushing an external monitor !! With PPro...much lower temps.You would think the 970 memory clock would go WAY past that !! One user claimed THIS below....hard to believe !

"I have a Reference EVGA GTX 970 with blower style cooler.

Runs 1504Mhz on the GPU and 8010Mhz on the Ram all day and never reaches 70. Usually 67-68."

I found an interesting table of results for overclocking the 970s at the link below :

Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 Review Roundup - Overclocking | bit-tech.net

• 5. Re: EVGA Precision X 16 tuning guide

Thank you, Bill.

Since i am not into gaming, just pp and ae, what figures are more important CPU or mem clock Offset?

Also Keep target power at 110%?

• 6. Re: EVGA Precision X 16 tuning guide

Thx JFPhoton,

I agree with you in possible damage to the card when overvoltaging. Thank for the link.

How did you save a Profile on win Start?

• 7. Re: EVGA Precision X 16 tuning guide

About your article I can not nearly reach those OC values. I run gpu clock Offset on 177 and mem clock Offset on about 60 mhz. Once i push forward OC Scanner benchmark gives me black screen. Power target is set to 110%. Does my mainboard/BIOS play a roll?

• 8. Re: EVGA Precision X 16 tuning guide

JF,

I guess I will explore returning this GTX 970 after the holiday's