8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2014 3:08 AM by areohbee

Should all edited photos be exported for safety?

Brode2

Since all edits are contained inside the LR catalog, and not within the original file, what would happen if you wanted to switch post processing software to (for example) Aperture?  I assume Aperture can't read a LR catalog, so all your edits would be lost?  For this reason, is it prudent to export every edited photo?

• 1. Re: Should all edited photos be exported for safety?
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I suppose if you wanted to make sure you have that exact same rendition of an image it would be prudent to export a copy. But if you are contemplating using different postprocessing software I think you would be wise to make up your mind. Lightroom does handle images somewhat differently. But it is possible to write the changes to the images, or save XMP files for your raw files. The only problem is that a lot of other postprocessing programs don't read the XMP files created by Lightroom or other Adobe products. Personally, I don't worry about it because I'm not looking for other software. But if you are still contemplating jumping back and forth between Adobe products and something else then you will probably need exported copies. That can make a lot of extra work, and can complicate your workflow. But that is something you will have to work out.

• 2. Re: Should all edited photos be exported for safety?
            areohbee Level 5

All edits are "lost" whenever you switch raw processing software, regardless of which you are switching from or to.

Put another way: no raw processing software can interpret the edit settings of any other (emulation/translators could be written, but so far, to the best of my knowledge, none have).

I mean all software will read jpegs (or tiffs..) the same when all edits are baked in, I was talking about the non-destructive edits (that are stored in a database, or embedded in source-file metadata, or kept in a sidecar file, or..).

So, you don't need to export for safety (although you can, e.g. I do), but you will probably want to export before you switch (so you don't have to re-edit every photo before you can use it in the new software).

Rob

• 3. Re: Should all edited photos be exported for safety?
              Brode2 Level 1

Just as I feared....but many years late.  Benn using LR for years and probably have many thousands of edited images.  I have no plans to leave LR for another editing program, but the thought ocurred to me how dependent we all are to Adobe because of LR's proprietary edits.  If XMIF sidecars were readable by other programs, that might be a solution at least for RAW images. 

• 4. Re: Should all edited photos be exported for safety?
                Benjamin Root MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I'm not sure, but you may be able to use DNG.

• 5. Re: Should all edited photos be exported for safety?
                  areohbee Level 5

Indeed it's as you feared, and using DNG doesn't change that.

But it's not as bad as it may seem at first, since once edited and exported you have all edits incorporated (i.e. no need to re-edit originals if already edited satisfactorily), so the issue only comes up if you want to re-edit an already-edited photo and change things like baseline detail settings or color profile.. (things that require the original/raw), in which case you'll have to start from scratch in new software, but you'll have the baked photo as a guide if you want it to be about the same as last time.. If you just want to add a little exposure or contrast, or remove a spec or something, that can be done to the rgb version of the file. I realize change management can become an issue (which is the real photo, and are there edits to rgb file which should be migrated to original when edited..), still...

Rob

• 6. Re: Should all edited photos be exported for safety?
                    areohbee Level 5

Brode2 wrote:

If XMIF sidecars were readable by other programs, that might be a solution at least for RAW images. 

I assume you mean XMP sidecars, but regardless - the issue is the same for raw as rgb (e.g. jpeg). I mean some apps can read xmp sidecars, and do translate/migrate metadata items like ratings. The problem is interpretation of develop settings - for example, it's very easy to read Lr's exposure from an xmp file, but then how does that map into the new software's implementation of exposure and/or brightness. Lr is the only one whose exposure (PV2012) acts like traditional exposure at lower values, and more like brightness at higher values - not easy to translate, especially in the context of all the other settings which are tied to it in PV2012.

Rob

• 7. Re: Should all edited photos be exported for safety?
                      elie-d Level 4

To me it makes more sense to have both LR and the second Raw converter installed than to have huge collection of jpgs, and, of course even less sense to save tiffs, unless you are forced to keep them because of  second editor input. Even if you have ceased to use LR frequently,  the installation, catalog file and Raws will sit there quietly until you really need a jpg. And they will retiain non-destructiveness while occupying less disc space. Only when you reach the point of incompatibility between LR and your OS will you have to make a decision about upgrading LR.

• 8. Re: Should all edited photos be exported for safety?
                        areohbee Level 5

Good points elie-d, indeed - that is another way to go..

To review, a couple options:

1. Keep Lr installed and use new software for new files (what elie-d has suggested), whilst continuing to use Lr for old files, or

2. Cut ties, and convert exiting files to jpeg (or tiff if you must), at which point you could uninstall Lr (what I was referring to).

Worth noting: if your Lr license is perpetual then #1 is viable, otherwise (cloud subscription) #2 would be the only option (unless of course you keep paying subscription fee).

Note: although this post/thread considers the implications of migrating from Lr to something else, the issues pertain equally to migrating from something else to Lightroom.

Rob