5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2014 12:55 AM by Willi Adelberger

Arabic Formatting tools

q8Hashem

How can I have arabic paragraph formatting and changing the spread direction tool in in-design? I want to write in Arabic and I have a hard time doing it? l want these tools like in PhotoshopCC 2014?Screen Shot 2014-12-21 at 02.21.39.pngthe ones in the bottom and Screen Shot 2014-12-21 at 02.21.27.pngThe arabic tools in the bottom of the charctor panel in photoshop i want them to appear in In-Design but I don't know how? is there a way to format arabic text ?

• 1. Re: Arabic Formatting tools
          Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There's a separate version of InDesign called "InDesign Middle East Edition" which exposes all of the RTL text formatting tools. Since you seem to be a Creative Cloud member, all you have to do is go into your CC preferences and change your language preference to a Middle Eastern language - mine is English (Arabic) which gets me an English interface with all of the tools to handle Arabic, Farsi, Hebrew, and so on. Once you've changed your language preference, you can download the ME edition of InDesign and you'll get all the tools you need to handle Arabic.

• 2. Re: Arabic Formatting tools
            q8Hashem Level 1

Thanks for answering my question, so all I have to do is delete my current In-DesignCC program, then change my Creative Cloud preferences language to support arabic. After that install

In-Design again? Is that right?? and How do I know that I installed the ME edition of In-Design rather than the standard one?Screen Shot 2014-12-22 at 02.16.17.png

Is this this right settings in the photo to fallow? again,Thanks very much for answering my question       

• 3. Re: Arabic Formatting tools
              Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

No, don't delete any program. You can additionally install any other language, the installer will add additionally plugins which will enable menus for those languages. InDesign will still run in the language of your OS but with more functions.

SO: DON'T DELETE ANY OTHER LANGUAGE.

• 4. Re: Arabic Formatting tools
                Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Willi is exactly right about the fact that you don't need to uninstall one localization of CC in order to install another.  I have successfully uninstalled one to install another in circumstances where the workstation had limited hard drive space, and in one instance the uninstall failed in some ways, creating problems severe enough that I almost just reformatted the drive and reinstalled everything. If you have hard drive space to spare, there isn't any reason I can think of to pull your old version of ID CC off before putting the ME edition on.

You'll only know that you've installed the ME edition from a few small indicators - it'll add "Middle East Edition" on the splash screen when you start up, and extra buttons will appear in palettes, and new items will appear in menus. It won't have a different icon or any significant visual difference or anything.

• 5. Re: Arabic Formatting tools
                  Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

An additional language does not need so much space as the core installation remains the same plus a few plugins more. (And these plugins were needed anyway, so you would rarely save space if you would uninstall it before.)