11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2014 10:07 AM by Peferling

How Do I Easily Compare Effects Applied to a Clip?

g7sharp9 Level 1

Hello,

I'm using PP CC 8.1.0 on a MacBook Pro (2013).

To make a long story short, I have two slightly different RGB Curves effects applied to one clip, each with a different rendition of what color I think I might like.  I want to be able to switch between them for comparison quickly, without having to turn off the effect of one, and then on the other. Because if I'm looking at the clip, that in-between moment either has both effects on, or none of them and it's impossible to compare them.  i.e. If I leave them both on, both effects are applied and so I can't really compare them by just turning one on and off.

Any way to do this?  I mean, I just thought of copying the clip to another part of the timeline and applying the second effect to that clip and then just moving my cursor back and forth - and that would work.  But it would be nice if PP had a comparison feature that would simultaneously turn off and on two different effects. 

Does this make sense?  If not I can try to explain again.

Thanks!

Will

• 1. Re: How Do I Easily Compare Effects Applied to a Clip?
          Peferling Level 4

I sometimes create a sequence just for this purpose naming it "scratch", (now part of my templates).  I will load two copies of a clip into two tracks, one on top of the other.  Apply the desired FX to each, and then turn the top track visibility on/off as I watch the monitor, (no need to move on the timeline as you'll get frame accurate comparison).  Then either copy the selected FX to the original clip in the edit, or save a custom preset to apply to similar clips going forward.

• 2. Re: How Do I Easily Compare Effects Applied to a Clip?
            g7sharp9 Level 1

Good idea with the stack.  I put them one after another and was using the up and down arrows so that the frame was the same.  But your idea is better. 

Seems there should be a feature that lets us compare.  I'm gonna add that request.

Thanks!

• 3. Re: How Do I Easily Compare Effects Applied to a Clip?
              KJerryK MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You could play around with adjustment layers, using as many as you want on tracks above your clip, each with the same effect with different settings, or with different effects.

• 4. Re: How Do I Easily Compare Effects Applied to a Clip?
                g7sharp9 Level 1

Unless I'm missing something, there's no way to switch between an on/off layer between two layers.  Either both effects (layers) are on, off or one is on.  If I use the eye icon to turn a layer off it's possible that I'll see no effect. 

I want to be able to - in one click - compare between two effects.  Having to click twice between seeing what I want to compare messes up my eyes just enough not to remember whether I like A over B.  ESPECIALLY if the change is a subtle change.

Am I not doing the Adjustment layers right?  I have, the base clip, an adjustment on top, and another adjustment on top of that.  How do I turn one off at a time without my base clip having no effect at all or both of them?

I know this is confusing, I just want to be able to compare with one click.

• 5. Re: How Do I Easily Compare Effects Applied to a Clip?
                  g7sharp9 Level 1

wait a minute.  When you stack them, don't you see both effects applied at the same time?  How do you only see one at a time and switch back and forth?

• 6. Re: How Do I Easily Compare Effects Applied to a Clip?
                    g7sharp9 Level 1

Never mind.  That works, because you've applied the effect to another clip.  But the adjustment layer one will not work right.

• 7. Re: How Do I Easily Compare Effects Applied to a Clip?
                      shooternz Level 6

Use two ALs and click them on and off. (eyeball)

Use two fx on same click and switch between them. FX toggle

Place two clips side by side with different fx on each and drift between them.

Create a sequence for grading.

Use Speedgrade and appply Lumetri FX so you can switch back and forth.

Use SG and grading layers so you can switch between layers.

Many ways to "skin the cat"

Get over the "one click" simplistic approach to finding a solution.  Its a craft and needs a craft approach.

If you cant tell between them.use either  cos it wont matter or its not critical enough to make a difference.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: How Do I Easily Compare Effects Applied to a Clip?
                        g7sharp9 Level 1

Ok, first off - it's not a ridiculous request ("get over the one-click")  Because one, there are other programs that can do this and two I'm not afraid of working my craft, but the program could have a feature like this and it would be efficient.  Aren't we all trying to save time?  Isn't video editing a super-time-consuming "hobby"?  This could make it better.

Use two ALs and click them on and off. (eyeball) -  doesn't work without either both effects being on at a time, or both off

Use two fx on same click and switch between them. FX toggle - Same as above.

Place two clips side by side with different fx on each and drift between them. - This one can work. (as mentioned above)

Create a sequence for grading. - how does a new sequence help if I'd have to recreate what can be done in the current sequence?

Use Speedgrade and appply Lumetri FX so you can switch back and forth. - My SG isn't working now for some reason

Use SG and grading layers so you can switch between layers. - same as above.

So of the above, 1 out of 4 isn't bad right?  smh

When I'm adjusting color, and looking at the result, if there's an in between shot of a totally ungraded (or twice-graded) frame it's gonna throw me off - and does. 

Apparently a few cats got away.

• 9. Re: How Do I Easily Compare Effects Applied to a Clip?
                          shooternz Level 6

1 Use two ALs and click them on and off. (eyeball) -  doesn't work without either both effects being on at a time, or both off

2 Use two fx on same click and switch between them. FX toggle - Same as above.

3 Place two clips side by side with different fx on each and drift between them. - This one can work. (as mentioned above)

4 Create a sequence for grading. - how does a new sequence help if I'd have to recreate what can be done in the current sequence?

5 Use Speedgrade and appply Lumetri FX so you can switch back and forth. - My SG isn't working now for some reason

6 Use SG and grading layers so you can switch between layers. - same as above.

No 1  - you are not using the layer eyeball correctly. You can show one , both or either.

No 2 same as above

3 - Glad you understand

4. Duplicate sequence..dont recreate it.

5 & 6 -- your problem to fix if yu want a pro approach to CC and Grade

• 10. Re: How Do I Easily Compare Effects Applied to a Clip?
                            seascapekw Level 1

An easier method would be to just copy the clip above the original, change the effects as needed and then use a keyboard shortcut to Enable/Disable the copied clip.

• 11. Re: How Do I Easily Compare Effects Applied to a Clip?
                              Peferling Level 4

After using the scratch method I've described, if you need to apply the desired FX to the entire sequence, then use an adjustment layer which is quicker than having to copy/paste on each and every clip as a best practice.