10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2014 9:13 PM by Migintosh

Font issue between PC and Mac. Options?

behnazutx Level 1

Hi.

I have been working for several months on a book that I have designed in InDesign. I was using the PC version of InDesign. I just purchased a new Macbook, and I am now beginning with a trial of InDesign for Mac.

As soon as I tried to imported my .indd file into InDesign on my Mac, I encountered an issue with fonts. Most of the fonts that I had used in my design do not work on the Mac version. InDesign gave me the option to 'Change' to comparable fonts. I figured I would try to see how I can adjust the manuscript and make this work. I immediately encountered other issues (for e.g., Minion Pro is a font that I did manage to use with InDesign in Mac, but it would not let me use the Italics version of Minion Pro. It is important that a number of elements in my book be italics, so I need to have a font that offers the distinction (and ideally, would not make me go back in manually and re-italicize everything.)

I spend about an hour or two researching this issue today. It seems there are a few options (including purchasing/downloading fonts and a few different software programs that handle that.) I would just like advice from those who navigated this issue on my best option/s.

Specifically these are the fonts from my original design on my PC that are missing on the Mac version.

Adobe Caslon Pro

Adobe Caston Pro Bold

Adobe Caslon Pro Italic

Adobe Devangari Italic

Adobe Garamond Pro

Adobe Garamond Pro

Adobe Garamond Pro Bold

Adobe Garamond Pro Italic

Constantia

Constantina Italic

Minion Pro Bold Cond

Minion Pro Italic

Palatino Linotype

Palatino Linotype Italic

If there is a free way to obtain these fonts and use them, that would be nice.  If I do obtain, or use replacements files that Mac supports, I forsee another issue: I may very well encounter the same issue down the line when I try to open my design on a PC, or if I send to the printer, and they use a PC. What about cross platform fonts that are supported by different system?

Any advice on how to move forward would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Font issue between PC and Mac. Options?
          tman69 Level 3

true type fonts (TTF), open type fonts (OTF) and type1 (T1) fonts should all work cross platform--

copy the necessary fonts (or if you still have the PC) 'package' the indesign file (making sure to check the box to include fonts)--

on your MAC--go to Applications>Adobe Indesign>Fonts--then drag the 'copied' fonts into that folder--then Launch Indesign--open your file--the fonts 'should' be working.

as far as sending the file to a Printer--export your document as a PDF (which should embed the fonts).

• 2. Re: Font issue between PC and Mac. Options?
            Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

All these fonts (except Devangari, Constantia's versions and Palatino LT) are OTF fonts and so they should be compatible on both, Mac and Windows. There must be another reason, why these fonts are not working on the Mac.

Where and how did you install them?

Are the files corrupted or incomplete?

THe Mac can also use WIndows font, but Windows cannot use Mac fonts, so every font should work fine. But I would recommend to replace the non-OTF fonts to newer OTF versions.

If you are a CC subscriber you can use most of the mentioned Adobe Fonts from the Typekit whith much more variations than you have now listed.

• 3. Re: Font issue between PC and Mac. Options?
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Windows Type 1 fonts will NOT work on Mac unless installed in the InDesign private fonts folder, and they will not work with the Document Installed Fonts feature (Document Fonts folder) when you Package a file for handoff.

• 4. Re: Font issue between PC and Mac. Options?
                behnazutx Level 1

Thank you for your response. I am no longer subscribed to InDesign on my PC (I paid twice for the monthly subscription.) Now I am working with a trial of InDesign (Mac version) on my new computer. I am not sure I will be able to access the fonts from my PC and import them to this version, but I can give it a try later today.

I did notice that the fonts turned up OK when I opened a PDF I had embedded from my PC on my new Mac. If in fact embedding to a PDF will make the fonts appear OK across all computers/platforms, then that is great news as far as feeling OK about the send-off phase.

• 5. Re: Font issue between PC and Mac. Options?
                  behnazutx Level 1

Hi Willi. Thanks for your feedback. I have a brand new MacBook that I was using on the first day. And I downloaded a trial of InDesign for Mac. When I opened the .indd file I had created/saved on my PC onto the MAC, most all of the fonts were not available on InDesign Mac. I was able to have it retrieve about two fonts from I think Typekit, but the rest are not standard available fonts on InDesign Mac (perhaps because I am using the trial version I have less fonts?)

I did mention in my response to Tman that the fonts did appear OK on the PDF of the manuscript in my Mac.

• 6. Re: Font issue between PC and Mac. Options?
                    Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Copy the fonts from the PC to the Mac.

• 7. Re: Font issue between PC and Mac. Options?
                      Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

It sounds like you just haven't installed the fonts that are missing. It's not a question of the trial version -- the older versions installed fonts (and you probably bought more over the years), but the new versions use TypeKit.

• 8. Re: Font issue between PC and Mac. Options?
                        Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

I see the problem is just that you want to know how to get the fonts on the Mac. It's worth mentioning that there are hundreds of thousands, probably millions of fonts. People buy them, install them, delete them just like software, according to their wishes and needs. Designers spend a lot of time choosing fonts, buying them, and making sure they have them on the computers they need them. I suspect you just found these fonts which is risky as some fonts literally cannot be purchased for new computers.

Now, fonts are mostly portable these days (Mac to Windows etc.). But you need to know where the fonts came from to know what the font license is, and whether you are allowed to copy, or need to buy them again. Do you have Creative Cloud subscription or just InDesign?

• 9. Re: Font issue between PC and Mac. Options?
                          behnazutx Level 1

Hi, thanks for the responses.

To clarify, I did not purchase any fonts. They came with the subscription version of InDesign that was installed on my PC. They are not on the version of InDesign I have on my new Mac. I don't have a Cloud subscription. I am using a trial of InDesign (Mac) now, and if I buy another monthly subscription, it would probably be for individual program/s.

I don't plan to spend $35 on a font... that is the price I saw through Typekit or another service. I think i would rather see what adjustments I can make using some fonts that are available on InDesign in my Mac and are basically 'universal' across platforms, if there is such a thing.

The first respondent indicated that when the design is made into a PDF, then the fonts are embedded and visible across platforms. Are there any situations I should be aware of in which this isn't the case? If that statement is true or generally true, that is good news, and will make me feel a lot more OK about this process.

• 10. Re: Font issue between PC and Mac. Options?
                            Migintosh Level 4

behnazutx wrote:

The first respondent indicated that when the design is made into a PDF, then the fonts are embedded and visible across platforms. Are there any situations I should be aware of in which this isn't the case? If that statement is true or generally true, that is good news, and will make me feel a lot more OK about this process.

I Googled "fonts that cannot be embedded in pdf" and these are the top 3 results:

Why Some Fonts Cannot Be Embedded In PDF

Cannot Embed font into InDesign PDF

Adobe Acrobat X Pro * Font embedding and substitution