3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2014 2:31 PM by A.T. Romano

Newbie questions about adding narration

DavidA2015 Level 1

Hi

I am using Premiere Elements 11. I want to make a narrated video out of a sequence of photos. I have successfully added the photos but want to ask:

1) On a tutorial video I saw some audio controls on the bar above the timeline. I don't see those - I just see Markers and tape deck controls. How do I activate the audio controls?

2) I want to increase the time that some of the photos are displayed for. I tried dragging the right hand edge of the photo to the right but that doesn't seem to have changed the duration. How do I do that?

BR

David

• 1. Re: Newbie questions about adding narration
          A.T. Romano Level 7

David

Premiere Elements 11, for now assumed on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

Please post a link to the video tutorial that you have using as a guide. In the meanwhile...if you want to create

a narration clip for a photo, then place the Timeline Indicator at the Timeline location where you want the narration to go.

Then

a. Tools Tab/Narration at the bottom of the Expert workspace.

or

b. Tools Menu/Narration at the top of the Expert workspace.

In either case, hitting Narration will bring up the Narration Tool's dialog for your narration creation.

Narration 11.JPG

You should be able to drag on the photo clip edge on the Timeline and drag on it to increase or decrease its

duration.

You can also set the Still Image Default Duration in preferences before you import the photos.

You can right click the photo on the Timeline, select Time Stretch, and then change the duration in the Time Stretch dialog.

00;00;00;00 represents hours;minutes;seconds;frames. For 2 seconds, you would set 00;00;02;00.

If you want to set the same duration of more than 1 Timeline photo at a time, highlight each of the clips wanted all at one time.

Then anywhere in the selection of the bunch of photos, right click and select Time Stretch from the pop up. Use the Time Stretch

duration for setting the duration for the selected clips.

Time Stretch dialog looks like the following for a Duration = 5 seconds set.

TimeStretchDialog.JPG

Please review the above and let us know if any of the above works for you. If not, please details how it is not.

Any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Newbie questions about adding narration
            DavidA2015 Level 1

Thanks for your very helpful answer. I have now succeeded in adding a narration and stretching the images.

The tutorial I referred to is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxfQYlOipHc

Note the bar showing 'Timeline', 'Sceneline' and adjacent icons.

Perhaps that is running an old version of Premiere Elements? (I am running version 11).

BR

David

• 3. Re: Newbie questions about adding narration
              A.T. Romano Level 7

David

Wonderful news "I have now succeeded in adding a narration and stretching the images". Great job of

follow through.

The Premiere Elements version used in your video tutorial is earlier than 11, probably 10.

There is a marked change in the workspaces comparing version 10 and earlier versus versions 11, 12, and 13.

Typically, the principles remain the same going from version to version, but those features get moved, deleted, changed, or discontinued going from version to version.

Video tutorials can be helpful but can also lead to confusion if the video tutorial is demo'd in a version that you are not using and the Premiere Elements version is not specified. We are glad for the opportunity to be of assistance if you have questions or need clarification. In this user to user forum atmosphere we can customize troubleshooting for your issue so that you can move forward with your projects as soon as possible.

Best wishes

ATR