12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2014 4:28 AM by FotoByFreas

Windows and Lightroom

FotoByFreas Level 1

I am a current Windows 7 user.  I am looking to upgrade to a new machine.  I am not all that versed in the requirements of the machine and what I need.  Would love to find an All-in-one system, such as the Dell XPS 27.  Can someone please give me some guidance in amount of RAM and HD that I need.  I am sure that I need a solid state drive.  Also on Monitor. 

I need this to be able to run LR and PS CC, with ease and speed.  Currently I have a TON of lag, and glitches. 

• 1. Re: Windows and Lightroom
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You need a minimum of 8 GB of RAM. The solid-state drive will help Lightroom load a little more quickly, but it won't necessarily provide any increased performance in Lightroom. Lightroom does not take advantage of any features provided by high-end graphics cards. I'm using integrated graphics on my HP Windows 7 computer and performance is very satisfactory. The Adobe system requirements indicate a minimum of 2 GB of RAM. But don't fool yourself into thinking you get by with less than 8 GB. You won't be happy if you try.

• 2. Re: Windows and Lightroom
            FotoByFreas Level 1

So if you go to the Dell site and look at this PC what is your thoughts?

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=smx27w8p13945&model_id=xps-27-2720-a io&c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04

I was thinking of at least 16GB of RAM, just wondering if the HD in this is

fast enough.

Also how do you go about your organizing.  I was thinking I could move each

job on and off the HD to work on, but not real sure of the best way to

organize and get the maximum use of your hard drive.

Michael Freas

Foto By Freas

Key West, Florida

Cell: 305-896-6314

Email: fotobyfreas@gmail.com <fotobyfreas@gmail.com>

Web: www.FotoByFreas.com <http://www.fotobyfreas.com/>

*Facebook: www.Facebook.com/FotoByFreas

<http://www.facebook.com/FotoByFreas>*

Twitter: @FotoByFreas

Instagram: @Foto_By_Freas

• 3. Re: Windows and Lightroom
              dj_paige Level 9

You will also need a 64 bit operating system, otherwise the amount of RAM is irrelevant. If you don't have a 64bit operating system, Lightroom will have limitations.

• 4. Re: Windows and Lightroom
                FotoByFreas Level 1

The link I gave has Win 8, 64 bit

• 5. Re: Windows and Lightroom

The speed of the hard drive looks okay. 7200 RPM is pretty much a standard. I don't like the idea of just a single hard drive. If you go that way your Lightroom program, and all your images, and all your backups are all on the same hard drive. If that drive goes down you lose everything. As I stated previously, Lightroom doesn't take advantage of high-end graphics cards at this time. But that doesn't mean that things won't change in the future.

A good Lightroom workflow (in my opinion) is one where you can import your images and keep them in that location and in the Lightroom catalog. Moving files on and off a hard drive can be tedious, and will make it difficult to ensure that you have all the adjustments to your images. But the choice is yours, of course. And you can manage Lightroom however it makes the most sense for you.

I prefer not to make a recommendation on the computer, any computer. It seems from my reading in the forums that the ones who have the most problems are the ones who have "supercomputers" with incredible amounts of extra RAM and high-end graphics cards. That doesn't mean that all of them do. There are so many factors that are at play here. I'm using a Windows 7 computer, 8 GB RAM, 64-bit OS, i5 processor, two internal drives (neither are solid-state), and several external hard drives that I use on different occasions, integrated graphics. I have no complaints about Lightroom performance. But it must be noted that I'm only working with 12 MP images.

• 6. Re: Windows and Lightroom
                    FotoByFreas Level 1

I am shooting RAW so each image is about 19-22mb and I use plugins, that seem to run super slow

• 7. Re: Windows and Lightroom

All I can suggest is that you use your best judgment. I don't think I would consider more than 16 GB of RAM. Unfortunately, the only way you will know if a computer is going to perform satisfactorily is to try it. There is no magical formula that seems to provide good indicators. What plug-ins are you using? And what is your system like that you are using now?

• 8. Re: Windows and Lightroom
                        FotoByFreas Level 1

Anyone have any monitor suggestions?

• 9. Re: Windows and Lightroom
                          Keith_Reeder Level 4

Think you might want to answer some of the questions Jim's already asked you, befiore jumping onto an entirely new topic?

• 10. Re: Windows and Lightroom
                            FotoByFreas Level 1

So if I went the 16mb route, what size solid state should i have?  Does

that link show that I can add it?

• 11. Re: Windows and Lightroom
                              ~IanB~ Level 1

"Currently I have a TON of lag, and glitches. >>there are some   dramas with lR5 having slowness issues so it may not be your computer . There are several threads on the this forum

• 12. Re: Windows and Lightroom
                                FotoByFreas Level 1

I decided to go with this setup:

Tower:

Intel Core i5-4690K, 16GB DDR3 Memory, 2TB HDD, DVDRW, 1GB NVIDIA Geforce GTX 750, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit - BSI300

Monitor:

ASUS VE248Q 24" Class Widescreen LED Backlit Monitor - 1920 x 1080, 16:9, 50000000:1 Dynamic, 2ms, HDMI, DisplayPort, VGA, Energy Star

I heard the LAG issue was due to a memory leak that Windows has not fixed yet.