1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 21, 2014 8:53 AM by Jao vdL

Does lightroom perform better on a MAC or Windows machine?

timpinckard Level 1

I have been using a windows machine for many years and currently use a Windows 7 machine (Lenovo Ideacenter). I am running the latest version of Lightroom 5 and Photoshop with the photographer's CC subscription.

Over the last few years I have notice that the majority of sites that offer instructions (video and written) the instructors are mostly using a MAC. Is this because that is "just what they use" or is there a performance issue?

For years now I have been considering the move from Windows to MAC, however in the past the number of Adobe products that I own (among others the Master Collection) to convert them from windows to MAC was expensive. Now that I mostly only use Lightroom and Photoshop CC with an occasional use of Dreamweaver, the platform issue has arisen again. Do I MAC or Windows and why?

• 1. Re: Does lightroom perform better on a MAC or Windows machine?
          Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's just what people use. There is very little difference that I notice in performance (I use both but prefer Apple's OS). Apple makes nice machines but you'll pay a premium. You'll get a (usually) more reliable machine with fewer issues (in general) such as nasty viruses (Windows has gotten much better in this respect in the last years) and a somewhat more intuitive OS although that is debatable. The Windows universe offers far more choice in hardware and you can get a fine-tuned, fast machine for similar money. If you are used to Windows and are comfortable in it, I wouldn't switch as you'll just have to relearn how everything works without much benefit. Lightroom and the creative cloud thing has made switching much easier though. If you're curious about the performance thing, find an Apple Store and try a few machines. In many of the stores they will have Lightroom and Photoshop loaded. You'll see it is really no different.