13 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2015 7:33 AM by chrisgelles

Flash CC 2014 Library Icons Are Hard To See

avtutorials Level 1

Hello,

The Flash CC 2014 Library has icons that are all gray in color.  Older version showed colored icons (folders are yellow, MCs are blue, etc).

The all-gray icons in the Flash CC 2014 Library are extremely hard to organize visually.  When folders are gray, along with objects, it increases one's workload to find and organize objects.

Can Adobe please return to the old colored Library icons?  Having everything in shades of gray is not a good interface design.  Thank you.

(I tried searching this topic, but there's a problem with the Adobe Forum... each time I enter search terms, the Adobe Forum displays the results and then immediately logs me out of the Forum and shows me the login page... obviously some sort of Forum bug.)

library.jpg

• 1. Re: Flash CC 2014 Library Icons Are Hard To See
          avtutorials Level 1

I also meant to ask... is there a setting in Flash to revert to the old-style, colored icons?  I can't find documentation on it.  Thank you for any help Adobe staff can provide.

• 2. Re: Flash CC 2014 Library Icons Are Hard To See
            Nipun Asthana Adobe Employee

Unfortunately there's no such setting to get back the old icons. This was done as part of a standard across all adobe products.

• 3. Re: Flash CC 2014 Library Icons Are Hard To See
              avtutorials Level 1

Hi Nipun,

Thank you for your answer.  I have to admit, for the money I've spent with Adobe, I do hope my comments invoke a change back to the old interface.  So many shades of gray against a dark gray background make it difficult to see and use.

Would you please put in a request with your development team to build-in a setting so that one can use the colored icons?  When a project has hundreds of objects in multiple folders, it's a nightmare when you can't even easily decipher between folders and objects.  Thank you.

- Steve

• 4. Re: Flash CC 2014 Library Icons Are Hard To See
                avtutorials Level 1

Hi Nipun,

I'm writing to "bump" this forum thread again.  After 6 months of using CC2014, the grayscale interface is really, really bad.  I've had other people here in the office (some who have some minor vision problems) look at it, and they have had a very hard time deciphering things on the screen.  They all commented that there needs to be more contrast and some use of color.

When everything is grayscale, you've got to work harder to decipher things on the screen -- and, that's coming from a skilled developer!

There are obvious disability/usability issues with the grayscale interface, which I hope Adobe resolves.  If Adobe can provide two options in the Settings for "Light Gray" and "Dark Gray" interface, I would think they can provide a setting for "Colored" interface as well.

Is there anything you can do at Adobe to escalate this?  This has made one of my all-time favorite applications into one that I don't enjoy using anymore.  Thanks.

- Steve

• 5. Re: Flash CC 2014 Library Icons Are Hard To See
                  mield5495440

We're having the same problem in my team. I hope they'll hear you. They'll probably change it for a future version though, that way they guarantee that everyone will buy the next version.

• 6. Re: Flash CC 2014 Library Icons Are Hard To See
                    avtutorials Level 1

Hi Mield,

Thanks for writing.  If anyone else finds the grayscale interface to be a problem, please reply to this thread, and please address Nipun Asthana in your message (they were kind enough to address this above).

Adobe Flash Team, please add a "colored icons" feature!

• 7. Re: Flash CC 2014 Library Icons Are Hard To See
                      FrogCdrom

100% agree!!

Come on Adobe - don't help kill off Flash as the entire world claims you're doing - help your developers keep using this fantastic tool.

The new interface just doesn't work, and a simple thing like coloured (colored?!) icons means a big difference to us guys that use it for hours and hours every day. :/

Unfortunately, I actually end up using Flash Professional CS6 more - despite the crazy £46 every single month just to be part of Creative Cloud.

Hmm.

• 8. Re: Flash CC 2014 Library Icons Are Hard To See
                        avtutorials Level 1

FrogCdrom, thank you for writing!  Let's keep the discussion going.

I agree -- the rest of the world is trying to kill-off Flash, which is COMPLETELY UNFOUNDED!!!  It's a fabulous product.  So, Adobe, PLEASE, listen to your users!  And, I, too, use CS6 a lot more for various reasons... CC2014 has further interface problems that make it harder to use.

Anyone else out there?  Please write and give your thoughts about the hard-to-use grayscale interface.

• 9. Re: Flash CC 2014 Library Icons Are Hard To See
                          FrogCdrom Level 1

Cheers bud.

Yeah, Flash is still awesome and I develop loads of mobile, touchscreen and eLearning content on it still for some major companies.

Its just so quick and a perfect fit for some projects.

Whilst we are on the subject of things that are missing in CC that really ought not to be!....

- where the heck did the script tool bar go? (the one with the "tick" icon for checking the code syntax, and the "comment" options too - that was so handy!)

- and whats up with the auto-complete. Some things seemed bugged, like when you highlight an entire line, copy it and then paste, you end up with a couple of extra TAB indents in there!?

Flash - a great development tool, and as mad as a bag full of cats.

(Adobe, you cannot use the above strapline - its copyrighted to me )

• 10. Re: Flash CC 2014 Library Icons Are Hard To See
                            avtutorials Level 1

I think the CC 2014 edition is really a step backward.  Adobe, please make note, here... people are making some valid claims that things aren't working well.  I know you can't please everyone, but why would you fix what isn't broken?

Sorry, Adobe team, I'm just really frustrated.  In fact, I'm starting a new thread... apparently, the old Movie Explorer > Copy All Text To Clipboard has been deprecated.  That's right, simply removed!  Why would you do this?

Very frustrated.  I'm not pleased that I'm spending all this money every month, and Adobe can't resolve these issues.

• 11. Re: Flash CC 2014 Library Icons Are Hard To See
                              ClayUUID Adobe Community Professional

I missed this thread the first time around, but completely agree. The monochromatic coal-black/light-grey interface theme infesting the entire Adobe product line these days is clearly designed above all else to look good in advertising. It's not actually meant to be good to use. Seriously, when I've been using Flash CC for a few hours and then fire up CS4, it's like my eyes are being released from a vise. Contrast! Colors! It's wonderful.

In CS4 I could recognize every library icon at a glance. In CC, even after using it for over a year, I still often confuse the bitmap and graphic icons. It's a simple fact of human vision that we can recognize colors faster and more easily than shapes. By any objective standard, this low-contrast, low-color interface trend is flat-out BAD. Nielsen Norman Group has even weighed in on it: Low-Contrast Text Is Not the Answer.

At least Flash CC wasn't hit as hard as Acrobat DC, which in the first release had everything so low-contrast that available menu options actually looked disabled.

• 12. Re: Flash CC 2014 Library Icons Are Hard To See
                                chrisgelles Level 2

Personally, I like the gray interface as it interferes less with the designs I work with on the stage.

But, if you're intent on changing them, as a last resort, you could always tweak up the existing icons you find in the "Package Contents" (on MAC) of the app.

I found quite a few in:

Adobe Flash CC 2015/Adobe Flash CC 2015/Contents/Resources/png/

Some of them are likely what you're aiming for...

But, tread carefully.

Back that stuff up before you begin messing around with it.

• 13. Re: Flash CC 2014 Library Icons Are Hard To See
                                  chrisgelles Level 2

Maybe some ambitious and altruistic person might be inspired to tweak the whole set and make them available for customized interfaces.