3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2014 4:01 PM by A.T. Romano

.macc

JimTheriault

I periodically move my job files including all files that I create from my c drive to a aux drive to save space. I just moved my 2014 files folders to an external drive. However when checking space availability I notice that there are 80 gigs of .macc media cache files remaining. Is it recommended that I delete these files to free up more space? Or do I need to move those files also to retain the integrity of my prel data?

• 1. Re: .macc
          A.T. Romano Level 7

jimtheriault

Tentative answer is to get rid of preview files, conformed audio files, and conformed video files pile ups to free up hard drive space. See below for

details before acting on this.

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

Are you sure that the file extension is not .mcdb and not .macc. Where are you finding these .macc files?

Are you referring to a MACC Folder that contains cfa and pek files?

Premiere Elements files that are automatically produced during certain activities

a. Preview files - from Timeline rendering - In Windows, these are typically dv.avi files (for SD project video or still source) and MPEG2.mpg files (for HD project

video or still source). These are found in the Adobe Folder's Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder. They can be deleted but the consequence is that your project's previously rendered Timeline will need re-rendering if you need the best possible preview. Just render the Timeline content again for the specific project involved.

b. Conformed Audio - cfa and pek set files. Can be deleted. Found in Adobe Folder's Media Cache Files Folder. Program will automatically

generate new files when and if needed. See Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks for actual location of the Media Cache Files Folder.

c. Conformed Video - .mcdb. Can be deleted. See Edit Menu/Preference/Media and its Media Cache Database area  and the "Clean" button.

Also see (for Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit)

Local Disc C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Common

Please supply more information and confirmation on the matter introduced.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: .macc
            JimTheriault Level 1

Thanks for the quick and thorough response. I'm using windows xp and premiere elements 3.0. I have elements 6, 8 and 10 but have had no success reproducing the results I get with 3.0. I use it almost daily to make dvds of sewer inspections. The files get big and unwieldy and this is the only version that doesn't get bogged down and crash.

• 3. Re: .macc
              A.T. Romano Level 7

JimTheriault

Thanks for the follow up. In any version of Premiere Elements, management of those preview files, conformed audio, and conformed videos files is so important to keeping your workflows moving especially when you are working in the lower resource situation. By lower resource situation I mean running a 32 bit Premiere Elements version in a 32 bit computer operating system. Then you are dealing with the computer resource limitations of the 32 bit system.

Premiere Elements 10, 11, 12, and 13 on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit will give you those versions as 64 bit applications which can take advantage of the 64 bit computer resources of 64 bit system, and can bring your larger projects to a successful completion with a greater frequency.

The frustration some time is that some of these files automatically regenerate and some of the folders automatically regenerate as well to one specific hard drive location even if you try to move the folders elsewhere.

Major thought which you probably know already, do not delete the source media that were imported into a project after you have saved closed the project.

When you do that and go to re-open the project, you will be hit with colorful media offline displays and "Where is the file.....?" missing media messages.

Please let me know if you are OK with the above details.

Best wishes

ATR