5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 25, 2014 8:43 AM by A.T. Romano

How do I trim the sound track along with the video? (With sound on a separate track)

Andreas Jansson Level 2

I've got a video file and a separate sound track. When trimming, to get rid of unwanted parts of the film, this only affects the video, not the audio track.

I'm a beginner at this, hopefully there is a simple answer.

• 1. Re: How do I trim the sound track along with the video? (With sound on a separate track)
          Andreas Jansson Level 2

Now I discovered that by selecting the video, and clicking the scissors, and the selecting the audio track and again clicking the scissors, I can then trim the video and the audio to the same point in time, by movding the end points of the two clips one by one.

But there has to be a way to link the audio with the video, so that it don't have to do everything twice, right? Please?

• 2. Re: How do I trim the sound track along with the video? (With sound on a separate track)
            Andreas Jansson Level 2

Well, I found a way to do simplify the first step.

Click in the grey area just above the tracks, to select all tracks. Then the scissors action will affect (cut) video and audio.

But the actual trimming still seems to affect only one track at a time. Is there a better way to do this?

area to click.PNG

By grouping the separate video and audio track I get the same effect as selecting all tracks, that is I only need to use the scissors once, but with the tracks grouped, the "bracket" icon doesn't show up when I hover the mouse pointer over the scene "limits". Trimming seems disabled with the tracks grouped.

Having used the program for a couple of hours now, I got used to it. Not a big problem having to select the tracks.

• 3. Re: How do I trim the sound track along with the video? (With sound on a separate track)
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Andreas

Have you resolved your Favorite Moments and clip trimming issues when video and audio clips are in unlinked state initially?

I am not clear on your comments about the "grouped" clip. If you have a Timeline video and audio clip unlinked and use "Clip Menu/Link Audio and Video", you can still trim them and have the trims behave where the trim can be dragged out on the Timeline to recover the untrimmed version of the clip.

Please do not duplicate a thread. It gets confusing for you trying to find answers and for those trying to respond to the question.

I have not looked at Premiere Elements 13 Favorite Moments in depth. I will by Tuesday.

In the meanwhile, please discuss the current situation in the thread that we are in now.. A moderator will probably delete or close the other thread when it

is seen as a duplicate.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: How do I trim the sound track along with the video? (With sound on a separate track)
                Andreas Jansson Level 2

This question is not about favourite moments. Your solution works good as an answer to the other question as well, but it will be easier for beginners like me to find the solutions to these questions if they remain separate. They are not duplicates: one about sound in "favourite moments" and this one about "trimming video and audio" at the same time. There might even be answers to one of them that do not apply to the other.

I managed to edit the files by selecting all tracks and then cutting them, and removing the unwanted parts with the delete key.

Selecting the audio and video tracks, and then "Clip Menu/Link Audio and Video/Link audio and video" was the solution I was looking for. I never found it. Probably since it doesn't show in the context menu when right clicking, unless both tracks (audio and video) are selected. ("Group tracks" show up as disabled when just right clicking a single track – I don't know why "Link audio and video" is hidden, perhaps make the menu shorter and that this is not a commonly used function).

About "grouping" the tracks (using the group command in the Clip menu or in the right-click context menu)... well, it was just my guess that it would link audio and video, but after grouping, trimming was disabled, so grouping is obviously meant for something else.

For the next time I know how to do this. Link audio and video.

Thanks!

• 5. Re: How do I trim the sound track along with the video? (With sound on a separate track)
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Andreas

Thanks for the great news that the suggestion worked for you in your Premiere Elements workflows.

Your observations on this matter are appreciated and point out important workflow details.

Of special note, both the separate video and audio contents need to be selected/highlighted all at one time before the Clip Menu/Link Audio and Video command is used.

Best wishes

ATR