17 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2015 4:36 PM by A.T. Romano

PREMIERE ELEMENTS VIDEO CAPTURE ERROR

CKENN19

I get this error when I am trying to capture video from my dv camera.

Premiere Elements has encountered an error.

[..\..\Src\TImecode.cpp-1014]

It seems to know I have a camera plugged in, but has a yellow yield sign with an exclamation point on the camera when the capture window comes up.

• 1. Re: PREMIERE ELEMENTS VIDEO CAPTURE ERROR
          CKENN19 Level 1

operating system is Windows 7. Camera is a Panasonic dv

• 2. Re: PREMIERE ELEMENTS VIDEO CAPTURE ERROR
            A.T. Romano Level 7

CKENN19

Problems with the same symptoms can (often do) have different causes, but....

Please take a look at foradobeuse's solution for this [..\..\Src\TImecode.cpp-1014] error message in Premiere Elements 11.

Premiere Elements Timecode.cpp-1014 error when adding media

See if that might work for you in 12.

Also, did you ever resolve your other issue relating to squeezed video that you posted not so long ago. Never saw a follow up on that here.

Dangling thread.

Please let us know the outcome with the DV data capture firewire into Premiere Elements 12/12.1 Capture Window.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: PREMIERE ELEMENTS VIDEO CAPTURE ERROR
              CKENN19 Level 1

Thanks. I read this. I only have one thing plugged into my usb's other than my camera and that is an external hard drive that holds all my videos.  I'll try that when I get home.  It's interesting though, right before all this started happening with my camera not being recognized on both computers, my wireless keyboard and mouse stopped being recognized as well... on both of my computers.

As far as the squeezing conversation on that other thread... no, I never did get it worked out.  My computer stopped working and so I borrowed my Mom's laptop in order to keep up with my business until I could afford to buy another computer. Her computer worked great with PE12 and I eventually got another used computer and tried to give her computer back to her and that was the one that was squeezing my videos.  I never did resolve the squeezing issue and had to go back to my Mom's computer again.  I figured out how to get the videos into the correct aspect, but they played horribly... sticky and terrible video quality. Every time I did something, I had to wait a few seconds to do something else. Made editing even more tedious.

PE12 is working great on her computer, but coincidentally, now her computer is the one that doesn't recognize my camera anymore. Not having a great time with my computers right now. LOL  You'd think since I have 3 laptops and a desk computer that one of them would work. Nope.

• 4. Re: PREMIERE ELEMENTS VIDEO CAPTURE ERROR
                CKENN19 Level 1

unplugging everything didn't work. When I restart after it has been shut down for a while, it always tries to work but then locks up and does the same thing again. At a stand still.

• 5. Re: PREMIERE ELEMENTS VIDEO CAPTURE ERROR
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

CKENN19

It has been a several days since we visited this thread. Got detoured and then lost track of the thread in the fast moving thread traffic here.

From all that has been written in this thread and in spite the different numbers of computers involved, I am wondering if computer optimization may be the order of the day rather than focusing on making the DV data capture firewire work in Premiere Elements 12 on one of your computers, specifically Windows 7 64 bit.

Have you focused on one of your computers and optimized - maybe a free ccleaner run through, clearing away pile ups of preview files, conformed audio files, conformed video files? Checking out where the Scratch Disks are directed and how much free space was there. (The save location for Captured Video and Captured Audio is included in the Scratch Disks listings (See Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks.)

Not sure if I asked already, so I will ask anyway...can you do your DV data capture firewire in Movie Maker 2012 (same firewire cable)?

Did you ever get your Mom's computer to recognize your miniDV camcorder?

You have been working with Premiere Elements 12. Have you been working with the 12.1 Update (See opened project's Help Menu/Update.)

Moving to Premiere Elements 13 is not going to help on this one since DV and HDV data capture firewire have been removed from Premiere Elements 13. A workaround is offered, but....

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/kb/removed-features-formats-elements.html

For troubleshooting purposes only, you could download and install the free 30 day tryout of Premiere Elements 11 from the following web site and determine how your DV data capture firewire works in that

Photoshop Elements 11 Direct Download Links: Free Trials, Premiere | ProDesignTools

You cannot buy that download, but you can try it.

Just some thoughts if the issues are not yet resolved.

ATR

• 6. Re: PREMIERE ELEMENTS VIDEO CAPTURE ERROR
                    CKENN19 Level 1

Thanks for your response. I had given up there for a few days. Was so frustrated that I was missing out on the holidays with my son trying to get back up and running, so I called it a vacation and walked away.  I'm at work right now, so I won't be able to answer some of this until I get home, but I'll answer some of them now.

I will run ccleaner when I get home but there is 105 gb available on the hard drive where I store files. I am experiencing the same problem with Movie Maker, except I get a different error that says something like "video camera is being used by another program". Apparently, this is sort of an infamous deal/error and I've yet to find a solution for it.  I did go in and turn off my webcam because some have said that the culprit is the webcam, but that didn't seem to do the trick. I also have found this fix that I haven't tried yet as well. But this seems to acknowledge that it is a camera problem as well, but mostly focuses on the webcam, which I could care less about. Not sure this is what I need or not?

Dell XPS M1530 Laptop Web Cam Not Working in Windows 7 64 bit - "Web cam in use by another program" error | Technology

I have 4 computers in the house and all 4 give me the error.  That was why I thought it was a firewire or hardware problem.  I got a sony dv tape player yesterday to use instead of my camera and when I plugged it in, I watched it install, install successfully and then it did the exact same thing.  I have one computer that is particularly old and hasn't been updated. I tried it and it gave me the same error as well.

• 7. Re: PREMIERE ELEMENTS VIDEO CAPTURE ERROR
                      CKENN19 Level 1

Tried the steps in the link provided and it was already named 'ksthunk'. At a stand still again. Still waiting for new firewire to arrive in the mail.

• 8. Re: PREMIERE ELEMENTS VIDEO CAPTURE ERROR
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

CKENN19

Thanks for the updating. Sounds like promising troubleshooting.

Please remind me...have all the computers that you have used use that same firewire cable...any exceptions?

ATR

• 9. Re: PREMIERE ELEMENTS VIDEO CAPTURE ERROR
                          CKENN19 Level 1

I only have one firewire cable, so all computers are using the same cable. I got clients breathing down my neck so I hope the new wire works. I should have just went and got one at a local store. I hope I will get it today and if I not, I'm going to see what's up. Shouldn't have taken this long.  For all purposes, the wire being the problem makes sense because it sort of happened, I was able to trick it pretty easily and the then it became harder and harder to trick and now I can no longer trick it at all.   Tricking it... means, unplugging, replugging, x-ing out and starting over. Turning power off of camera etc.  This stuff... no longer works.

CK

• 10. Re: PREMIERE ELEMENTS VIDEO CAPTURE ERROR
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

CKENN19

Thanks for the update. Sorry the firewire cable has not been delivered yet. Did you get a tracking number for the shipment? This way you will know whether to go after the seller or the company delivering the shipment.

If you used free shipping option, that could mean 5 to 9 days delivery time. If you get lucky sooner than 5 and if not lucky, then lucky if you get it in 9.

We will be watching for your progress.

Best wishes

ATR

• 11. Re: PREMIERE ELEMENTS VIDEO CAPTURE ERROR
                              CKENN19 Level 1

Received the fire wire cable yesterday. I ordered it just before Christmas when the problem got measurably worse.  The fire wire had a 6-pin connection, but the picture, for some reason had both 4 & 6. My dell has only a 4-pin. I thought it was adjustable. Apparently not. This is really frustrating.  Thinking of using the link above to disable web cams instead of making them work. Not sure how to do that, but I have to get something going. Losing money now.  By the way, thanks for your persistence and help.

• 12. Re: PREMIERE ELEMENTS VIDEO CAPTURE ERROR
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

CKENN19

Thanks for the update.

Can you borrow a firewire cable (with the pin configuration that you require) from a friend?

Or could you get your money back on the cable that just arrived, go out to the local office/electronics store, and purchase

the firewire cable that you need? I would make the purchase from the local store with the understanding that you

could get a refund if it did not work for you. Even if the cable costs more in the local store, you might gain in the long run when you consider the

business that you are losing because of this issue.

Looking forward to good news

ATR

• 13. Re: PREMIERE ELEMENTS VIDEO CAPTURE ERROR
                                  CKENN19 Level 1

As Robert Stack used to say on Unsolved Mysteries;  UPDATE

After my last post, I went out to Best Buy, Radio Shack and Hastings locally to talk to people and none of them knew what was happening. So much for Geek squad. But what I did notice was that when I was at Best Buy I didn't have an internet connection and my laptop did not even register that I had anything plugged in without internet. Given that, I would assume that whatever is using my laptop, causing the error is internet based.  More importantly, I could tell that the computer wasn't recognizing the cable or the camera at all.

So when I came home to actually shop on Amazon for a product of the same kind...  firewire with USB I ran across an overwhelming amount of 1 votes on the very product that I needed and the grand consensus from ALL OF THEM was that support had ended for usb based firewire and these type products no longer worked and they shouldn't be selling them anymore.  This was enlightening because the more I read, the more I realized that I had to do something different.  I watched a youtube video and the person in the youtube video recommended that I buy a FIREWIRE EXPRESS CARD that has a connection for the 6-pin wire that I just purchased.  I have 3-laptops and only one of them has this connection that the express card will work in, but I'm fine with that and if it works.... yeehoo.  It is actually one laptop that I don't use and that laptop can be my exclusive video transfer laptop.   I went to amazon to look at this product and found the complete opposite.... a bunch of people, just like me, who were trying to transfer using dv camera's and found this Express Card to be their godsend.

Well... that being said, it may be next week before I get the thing, but that's my Unsolved Mysteries Update. Until next time.

• 14. Re: PREMIERE ELEMENTS VIDEO CAPTURE ERROR
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

CKENN19

Thanks for the update.

We are looking forward to a happy result.

But, I am forced to ask "Were any of those people at Amazon using Premiere Elements as part of the DV HDV data capture equation?

Thinking positive thoughts for your success

ATR

• 15. Re: PREMIERE ELEMENTS VIDEO CAPTURE ERROR
                                      CKENN19 Level 1

They weren't specific about that. I did however see some say they were able to capture with Movie Maker. Apparently, my computers were late to the party, because the range of dates on the statements were from 2011 to 2014. I've seen some people experiencing this problem back in 2006. Not sure why my computers worked up until this time? A mystery that maybe only some geek in a room at Microsoft truly knows.

• 16. Re: PREMIERE ELEMENTS VIDEO CAPTURE ERROR
                                        CKENN19 Level 1

Sorry I didn't get back to you right away but the device I ordered in the mail worked; The firewire express card. I was only able to plug it into 1 of my 3 laptops because the other two didn't have the right connection. Geezzz. The cable that I purchased previously connected to it (6-pin) and my camera.

Strange that I was downloading videos on my laptops all along and suddenly it just stopped. It must have been in one of the updates I downloaded.

I appreciate you sticking with me on this and hopefully our thread can answer other people's problems with this.... or maybe i'm the only one late to the game.

• 17. Re: PREMIERE ELEMENTS VIDEO CAPTURE ERROR
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

CKENN19

Wonderful news. I was thinking about you and wondering about the outcome.

The follow up is important and appreciated by all.

Best wishes

ATR