8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2016 7:30 PM by Videowilk

PP CC 2014 8.0 constant crashing: Backend dll error?

Videowilk Level 1

Can Adobe help us with this? Everything was fine until a few days ago certified system  HP 820 with dual Nvidia 4Ks, 64GB RAM.

I rolled back from 8.1 Adobe update because most of my third party plug-ins disappeared.

• 1. Re: PP CC 2014 8.0 constant crashing: Backend dll error?
          Mark Mapes Adobe Employee

We'll need far more information. The crash log would be a good start. Beyond that, please provide all info that seems relevant from this page: FAQ: What information should I provide when asking a question on this forum?

• 2. Re: PP CC 2014 8.0 constant crashing: Backend dll error?
            Videowilk Level 1

Premiere Pro CC 2014 - 8.0.1

As mentioned, I rolled back because of missing third party filters in newer versions. Had been fine for a week of editing, until working on the third of 4 successfully synced up with Plural Eyes -   two-camera short sequences.

Working with AVCHD from Sony FS700 - 1080p 30fps very basic footage from two cameras in a classroom setting - FS700 and Canon 70D mov files - at 30p

Windows 7 Professional updated today - first backend.dll error started Friday before updating

I have GenArts Sapphire, New Blue Essentials and Red Giant Universe, thought none of these filters or effects were being used. Had only used Premiere's color correction on one of the video tracks.

Log:

Log Name:  Application
            Source:    Application Error
            Date:      12/21/2014 5:29:32 PM
            Event ID:  1000

Task Category: (100)

Level:     Error
            Keywords:  Classic
            User:      N/A
            Computer:  CS6

Description:

Faulting application name: Adobe Premiere Pro.exe, version: 8.0.0.169, time stamp: 0x536f4f89

Faulting module name: Backend.dll, version: 8.0.0.169, time stamp: 0x536f3349

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0000000000397ee0

Faulting process id: 0x260

Faulting application start time: 0x01d01d6caa02bf10

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2014\Adobe Premiere Pro.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2014\Backend.dll

Report Id: d5153e08-8960-11e4-a7f5-2c41384f16e8

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Application Error" />
            <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
            <Level>2</Level>
            <Task>100</Task>
            <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
            <TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-12-21T22:29:32.000000000Z" />
            <EventRecordID>38723</EventRecordID>
            <Channel>Application</Channel>
            <Computer>CS6</Computer>
            <Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data>Adobe Premiere Pro.exe</Data>
            <Data>8.0.0.169</Data>
            <Data>536f4f89</Data>
            <Data>Backend.dll</Data>
            <Data>8.0.0.169</Data>
            <Data>536f3349</Data>
            <Data>c0000005</Data>
            <Data>0000000000397ee0</Data>
            <Data>260</Data>
            <Data>01d01d6caa02bf10</Data>
            <Data>C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2014\Adobe Premiere Pro.exe</Data>
            <Data>C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2014\Backend.dll</Data>
            <Data>d5153e08-8960-11e4-a7f5-2c41384f16e8</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

• 3. Re: PP CC 2014 8.0 constant crashing: Backend dll error?
              Videowilk Level 1

Oh and yes, I use Mercury Playback CUDA GPU acceleration

Window pops up - Premiere has a serious problem or something to that effect, and closes.

Thanks!

• 4. Re: PP CC 2014 8.0 constant crashing: Backend dll error?
                Mark Mapes Adobe Employee

Given the exception code, I'd start by reading this article: Computer tricks and tips: How to Fix 0xC0000005 Error

Also worth clearing the prefs by renaming the Profile-<username> folder under Documents/Adobe/Premiere Pro/8.0

I'd also urge you to update to 2014.2 to see if that resolves the crash. If so, then invest the time to work out the problem with the plugins.

• 5. Re: PP CC 2014 8.0 constant crashing: Backend dll error?
                  Videowilk Level 1

Thank you... I spent last night updating using the Cloud app to update all CC2014 apps to the latest. I read the 8.2 release will work better now with the plugins, so I am hopeful.

I had done a lot of malware, virus and the like checking throughout the weekend, ensuring I have a nice clean environment.

QUESTION on the Profile comment - what do I rename it as? And...I just took a look and see I have folders there for 6.0, 7.0 and 8.0 - the earlier versions have templates from Titler that I would like to use in 8.0. Can I just move the Template folder into 8.0?

I wonder about having so many versions of programs on one machine... I need still to use Encore, which is CS6, so cannot completely clean that off. And clearly the Cloud uninstaller did not remove all remnants. I wish Adobe could offer some clear advice... insure us that all older versions of projects will indeed work in the latest version.

• 6. Re: PP CC 2014 8.0 constant crashing: Backend dll error?
                    Videowilk Level 1

OH god help me, I updated to the latest CC 2014, as expected, no Sapphire, Universe or Film Impact plugins, but also NO SONY FS700 mts video or audio!!!! Wtf!

Why is this so unending? Adobe: help us... don't release programs until they are ready.

Please advise,

Diane

• 7. Re: PP CC 2014 8.0 constant crashing: Backend dll error?
                      citizenpeace Level 1

Greetings Videowilk!

I found this post because I previously had the same error message come up when I tried to open a MAC-based project on a Windows machine.

Never had a problem with this before, so it was surprising.

What happened to me was:

I opened the project file, I could see the contents of the project load in the timeline, bins, and monitors, then my error would pop up immediately, stating Premiere had to close due to a serious error.

I had to check the Event Viewer for the crash details, which showed me the Backed.dll error message.

I checked other projects to see if it was just Premiere- Nope, just this project.

I could even connect through the Media Browser and open the "unopenable" project's bins, footage, and files.

There is clearly something up with this specific project file when opening it.

SO...

MY FIX/Workaround:

I started a new project

Went directly to the Media Browser and found my "unopenable" project.

I selected all the bins/material inside, and dragged them to my new project's project bin.

It loaded.

The material's fine.

I saved this new project with a different name (updated date) and I was back working in my project again.

I hope this works for you.

Peace

• 8. Re: PP CC 2014 8.0 constant crashing: Backend dll error?
                        Videowilk Level 1

Thank you citizenpeace - good work-around. I like the ability to import whole or portions of projects for situations like this.

Cheers!