18 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2014 9:37 PM by areohbee

how to resize photos without exporting

siteminderUX Level 1

Hi

I have been using LR since version 1 and would like to know why there is no simple command to resize a photo using the same (original) file format? The only way to reduce a photo size is to export it and then reduce it's size. Using this option you must use jpeg (in my case) and then choose a 'quality' amount. Since jpegs are already compressed I don't know what  quality I want/need hence the reason I just want to use the original file but then LR won't allow to resize an Original File. This is strange.

With today's huge megapixels camera sometime people only want to reduce photos by 50% or more. Using quick option like the 'Crop Ratio' will be easy.

Screen Shot 2014-12-22 at 1.25.03 pm.png

• 1. Re: how to resize photos without exporting
          ~IanB~ Level 1

I went looking for the same thing recently. I don't really have any need for 20-25mb 5D11 raw files these days. And if they go to PS they get so big so fast. Photography for me is just a bit of challenge and something to do now and once posted on several forum I have little use for the files (not talking family pics)

All I could  work out is export files as JPEGs to a "best" folder and from there I might export small files that will posted on forums. The raw/psd file are then [meant to be] deleted. The trouble is I still have the big files 'just in case' .

In my case its rather crazy the disc space purchased and wasted storing large raw/psd files never to be seen/use again. I don't think I'm alone on this one. Time all my old work files to go

Well be good to hear what others do apart from saying 'disc space is cheap'

• 2. Re: how to resize photos without exporting
            areohbee Level 5

Well, if Adobe ever implements a "resize raw file" feature it'll be for DNGs only, no doubt. Why they haven't, yet? - dunno, but it's no surprise since everything is non-destructive - they don't let you re-save a jpeg destructively either.. That said, they do allow conversion to lossy DNG which could be considered destructive, in a way, arguably, in my opinion.

PS - no other software company supports resizing raw files (and re-storing in raw format I mean), the camera manufacturer's software won't do it either.

Anyway, for now, consider lossy-DNG if you want to re-format some raws to save space.

• 3. Re: how to resize photos without exporting
              siteminderUX Level 1

Thanks Rob

I was referring to resizing a jpeg file not RAW. I guess you are right though regarding the non-destructive approach so I guess exporting is the only option.

Cheers

• 4. Re: how to resize photos without exporting
                ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

To better answer your question, we need a better understanding of what you mean by "reduce its size".

Do you mean reduce the number of pixels like you would get by Photoshop's /menu/image/image size ?

Or do you mean reducing the number of megabytes on the file system?

Since LR does only nondestructive editing, both options would require exporting to a new file.

• 5. Re: how to resize photos without exporting
                  siteminderUX Level 1

Thanks ManiacJoe

by reducing the size I was meant reducing both pixel dimensions and as a result the file size. Even though LR is a nondestructive editing tool I would think that resizing a jpeg file should be something quick without going through the exporting loop.

Let's say I import 100 JPEG photos of 5000px X 3000px and would like to reduce all of them by 50%, with the exporting tool it's a pretty long process compared to a resize function.

Maybe I am wrong.

• 6. Re: how to resize photos without exporting
                    DdeGannes Adobe Community Professional

Quote "Maybe I am wrong."

No you are not wrong, its just that Lightroom does not provide that function.

Lightroom by design never makes any changes to any original files. Files remain in the state they were when they were imported.

• 7. Re: how to resize photos without exporting
                      areohbee Level 5

siteminderUX wrote:

...it's a pretty long process compared to a resize function.

Maybe I am wrong.

1. Export (set up a preset).

2. Delete original.

3. Rename exported file to match original.

If 2 & 3 are done in Lightroom, then exported file will be a new photo in Lightroom. If done outside Lr, in OS, then the photo will be the same photo, but you'll have to reset the develop settings, so they're not re-applied to exported photo which already has them baked in.

So, not too bad if it's something you only do occasionally, but more of a pain if you do frequently.

If this is something you do fairly often, you might find Exportant's "Resave Jpeg Destructively" feature worthwhile:

_exp-ant_resave-rgb-destructively.gif

(a free plugin I wrote).

robcole.com - Exportant

R

• 8. Re: how to resize photos without exporting

Rob, would it not be simpler to just resize the original jpeg files outside of Lightroom with the likes of Photoshop Elements. That would avoid the re-import problems.

• 9. Re: how to resize photos without exporting
                          areohbee Level 5

Well, I wasn't recommending re-importing, but yes - you can resize using Photoshop Elements instead of Lr if you prefer.

• 10. Re: how to resize photos without exporting
                            siteminderUX Level 1

Thanks guys

your comments do make sense as per LR being a nondestructive application and therefor not having a jpeg resize function.

Cheers and Marry Christmas.

Mica

• 11. Re: how to resize photos without exporting
                              areohbee Level 5

To be clear: Lr can and often does change original file's metadata (e.g. saving xmp embedded in jpegs, or updating preview in raw DNGs, or correcting capture time in proprietary raw files..), just not the image data.

• 12. Re: how to resize photos without exporting
                                elie-d Level 4

@ DdeGannes: Lightroom by design never makes any changes to any original files. Files remain in the state they were when they were imported.

@ Maniacjoe: Since LR does only nondestructive editing, both options would require exporting to a new file.

@ Rob Cole: just not the image data.

Regarding rendered RGB files that is not true. On the Export dialog UI, in the top section Export Location, there is a menu for setting LR's behavior when exporting to a folder where a file of the same name and format already exists. One of the options is "Overwrite WITHOUT WARNING". Another option is "Ask what to do" which will produce an inquiry box containing the same overwrite option. So for these files LR can be made thoroughly destructive and this would meet the OP's needs - a jpg exported without image edits other than resizing would quickly become a smaller jpg. That the jpg file has been decompressed prior to resizing and then recompressed and rewritten for a second (or more) lossy save would be true of any other application as well, so far as I know. Is there any application that can resize a jpg without opening it and resaving?

• 13. Re: how to resize photos without exporting
                                  areohbee Level 5

In my copy, Lr will not let you overwrite the file being exported, regardless of settings.

You can overwrite other source files (so be careful), but not the one being exported.

Either you are mistaken, or your Lr is behaving differently than mine for some reason (or perhaps I've misunderstood what you said).

With a plugin, one can sometimes overwrite source file being exported, but not using Lr proper, in my experience.

• 14. Re: how to resize photos without exporting

I do not get the option you see if the file is an original. See the screen capture. I guess it could be done if the file were not the original import.

Untitled-1.jpg

• 15. Re: how to resize photos without exporting
                                      elie-d Level 4

My bad. You are right. I have never actually imported, edited or resized a jpg in LR. For me jpgs are the end of a workflow, but I tried it now by importing a jpg that I happened to have on my Desktop and attempting to resize it and overwrite it. It quickly became clear what LR thought about this idea and it was not prepared to go along with my plans. I drew the wrong conclusion from the overwrite option in the Export UI.

• 16. Re: how to resize photos without exporting
                                        areohbee Level 5

siteminderUX wrote:

I was referring to resizing a jpeg file.

There is no technological way to resize a jpeg without either:

1 recompressing it.

2 using non-standard jpeg extensions.

The problem with #1 we are mostly familiar: re-jpeg'ing a jpeg causes degradation.

The problem with #2 is that other software won't be able to read them afterward.

I experimented with lossless resizing using a couple different programs (e.g. a libjpeg-based utility), and it worked perfectly, but Lr can't read the resized files (it does not support the requisite jpeg extensions), nor could ACDSee...

So, unless a specification for the jpeg extensions gets approved (and becomes a standard), I doubt we'll see lossless jpeg resizers in wide use.

I have written a lossless crop script, which may be the next best thing, it's free, and available here:

robcole.com - MiscLrScripts

Script name: 'Jpeg perma-crop lossless'.

Comes complete for Windows users, some assembly required on Mac.

It will overwrite original source files, so not recommended unless:

* it's really what you want to do, and/or

* you have backups of original source files, in case you cropped it wrong, or change your mind afterward..

(if possible, originals will be in trash/recycle-bin, so..).

To be clear, in this context, "lossless" means "maintaining jpeg format without recompression" - jpeg is a lossy format to begin with..

Rob

• 17. Re: how to resize photos without exporting
                                          areohbee Level 5

elie-d wrote:

My bad. You are right.

Your guess was good, even if this time wrong .

• 18. Re: how to resize photos without exporting
                                            BKKDon Level 4

Hi,

I have seen good reviews on a product called JPEGmini, although reviews on photography products are  dime a dozen. JPEGmini claims file size reductions of up to 5X.

Guess it is worth a try as they claim (don't know how) it doesn't reduce the quality.

• 19. Re: how to resize photos without exporting
                                              areohbee Level 5

BKKDon wrote:

they claim

they "exaggerate" .

Anyway, jpeg-mini is a very good jpeg compressor, but Lightroom's is also very good (excellent really).