7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2014 9:24 PM by A.T. Romano

PE 12 will not launch

BBBBBBBBBZZZZZZZZ

Creating my first video project from a number of clips in PE 12.  All was going well.  Loaded 5 clips into my timeline and reviewed the project.  Left the project for a short period of time and tried to access my existing project but PE 12 will not even launch - no error message nothing.  Feeling frustrated!

• 1. Re: PE 12 will not launch
          A.T. Romano Level 7

BBB

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12 running on? Did you have the chance to update 12 to 12.1 using an opened project's Help Menu/Update? If not, please do so when you can.

What are the properties (including file extensions) of those 5 clips that apparently successfully imported into the project? Did you save close reopen the project to run into the no launch situation?

What edits if any had you applied to the Timeline content before you left the project for a short time (assumed saved closed)? After the project was saved closed did you move, delete, or rename any of the files/folders that were imported into this project?

If you cannot open this first project (5 clips), can you open a new project?

Let us start by deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file and, if that does not work, the whole 12.0 Folder in which it exists. I am assuming that you are using Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit computer.

Local Disc C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 12.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then you delete the whole 12.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Important that you are working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives enabled so that you can see the complete path cited.

Are you working with a pen and tablet device or mouse?

Let us start here, and then we will decide what next, if necessary, based on your results.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: PE 12 will not launch
            BBBBBBBBBZZZZZZZZ Level 1

Thank you Romano.  I am working with Windows 7 - 64 bit operating system.  I had already updated to 12.1.  The file extensions of the clips are .VOB.  The edits I had done was to create a few mini clips and add them to the timeline.  This morning I attempted to open my first project again and it worked.  I exited the program to check some things and tried to get back in and the same thing as before...the program would not launch at all.  Shall I delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file as suggested or do you see an issue with the file extension as that was one thing I was wondering about (since I have never used .VOB before).  Thanks.

• 3. Re: PE 12 will not launch
              A.T. Romano Level 7

BBB

Thanks for the reply.

I would go ahead with the deletion of the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file, and, if that does not work, then the deletion of the whole 12.0 Folder in which it exists.

If that works great. If no, at the computer hard drive level, rename just the file extension of the clip from .vob to .mpeg. And, then import the .mpeg version into a new Premiere Elements project. Then go through your typical workflow, and determine if the problem still exists.

We will be watching for your results, and then will decide what next if the problem is not resolved.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...what is the file size of each of these 5 .vob files?

• 4. Re: PE 12 will not launch

OK I will give that a try.  The size of the videos range from (2 X .99 GB; 750 MB; 433 MB; 533 MB).  The length of the clips in total is less than 15 minutes (can't determine the size.

• 5. Re: PE 12 will not launch
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

BBB

Thanks for the reply. Looking forward to the results from the suggestions mentioned in post numbered 3 of your thread.

If none of that resolves the problems, then let us take a look at your computer resources and .vob files for Premiere Elements 12/12.1 on Windows 7 64 bit.

a. one project with all 5 .vobs

versus

b. one project with .vob .99 GB (1st one)

c. one project with .vob .99 GB (2nd one)

d. one project with .vob 720 MB

e. one project with .vob 433 MB

f. one project with .vob 533 MB

Can each of the above be re-opened after it is saved closed?

ATR

• 6. Re: PE 12 will not launch

Well...A.T. Romano...I can't thank you enough.  It appears as though deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file did it.  It did remove my project but that was  no big deal.  I re-created it, saved it, closed the file and re-opened it several times.  Thank you very much!

• 7. Re: PE 12 will not launch
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

BBB

That Premiere Elements 12 will not launch problem is one of the worse. So, I am so glad for the great news of your success with the key

being deletion of the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file. Great job of follow through by you.

Best wishes.

ATR